OT- Generous Law Enforcement pensions

659 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CAL6371
sp4149
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today a Florida newspaper reported that the Deputy who stood outside Parkland HS during the shooting is now receiving a six figure pension. The deputy had a base salary of $75,673.72 a year but starting this April is receiving a pension of $104,424 a year. A normal civil servant (like the Federal system I retired from) would have received a pension of $45,000 a year based on the same years served and a $75,000 salary and would have to wait until they were older (60+) to collect without penalty.

The reason for the $60,000 a year BONUS pension is that law enforcement has garnered the best retirement perks in the government. For many civil servants, overtime pay and benefits is not included in the retirement salary calculation. In the Federal system I had to work 42 years to collect a maximum pension of 80% of my base salary. Deputy Peterson worked 32 years before retiring at 55. His pension is more than he earned in 2017. Public safety pensions are the biggest part of the public pension funding disaster. It's not hard to see why. Not only are they far more numerous than librarians or engineers; they retire far earlier for far more money compared to their basic salary. If GOP fiscal conservatives really wanted to control pension costs, maybe they should investigate law enforcement pensions. But then these high paid pensioners carry guns; safer to ignore the 'real cost' problem.
bearister
My SFFD buddy is banking $220,000 a year in pension money. He told me that the City Charter provides Golden Gate Park has to be sold before said pension obligation can be defaulted on.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Bobodeluxe
Police? Can't hire enough without the perks. Fire? Millions want those jobs. Political scam, and nationwide scandal.
golden sloth
Its hard not to get jaded towards baby boomers when reading about stuff like this. They take advantage of affordable and high-quality higher education then cut funding to those higher education institutions to pay for their own pensions. Thus forcing young people to take large student loans out which financially stagnates their 20's and 30's. Boomers buy their homes, then lock in property tax raises via prop 13 so they can afford to live in California as a retiree. Then, they limit new construction and densification in the areas with jobs, thus making home-owning virtually impossible for anyone new. The 30 year-old couple in a 700 sq ft $700,000 condo with high HOA fees then pays more in property taxes than the 70 year old couple in a 3,000 sq ft $1.5 million house. Instead of operating within a governmental budget, they continually expand a deficit they won't have to be accountable for. They take advantage of the best governmental benefits the country has to offer, then plunders them for their retirement.

And if you ask them, I'm sure they 'earned it' in spite of the government not helping them and millenials could do the same if they just didn't eat so much avocado toast.
bearister

If you are nicer to us maybe we will throw you a bone in our wills.

Total Cal tuition for 4 years: $2,550. Suck it.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
CAL6371
bearister - You overpaid.
Mine was $120 per year as a freshman, then ended at $300 per year for Boalt Hall - I probably paid less than $2000 for a Bachelor's, Master's and JD form the campus in my 8 years there. But unlike you, I gave a lot back to the public (33 years in law enforcement trying to put wealthy scoundrels like you in jail).
CAL6371
Bobodeluxe - can't agree with you more
If you want to know if a job is overpaid, measure the length of the line applying for the job. Longest lines - fireman and longshoreman.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.