Newspaper shooting ... and Milo

1,963 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Two days ago....

okaydo

Another Bear
Because...of course.

ROCK BOTTOM Sean Hannity Immediately Blames Maxine Waters for 'Capital Gazette' Shooting
okaydo
Berkeley is usually at the forefront of things that are considered wildly unpopular, like marijuana and protesting Milo.
Anarchistbear

Not so Dangerous ****** Tour the Sequel
okaydo

okaydo

concordtom
I imagine he's keeping the Secret Service very busy these days!
I wouldn't be surprised if they failed one day.
I AM surprised OJ is still here.
Two guilty men.
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
Fulfillment of Trump's directive is complete (or at least has been threatened to be completed).

kjkbear
Milo is dangerous and an idiot. Waters is less dangerous but more of an idiot. Her voice needs to be replaced by someone relevant to today's discussions. Los Angeles does not need a female Strom Thurmond--in terms of dementia and stupidity. Will she quit? Of course not, her ego is as big as anyone in Washington.
golden sloth
kjkbear said:

Milo is dangerous and an idiot. Waters is less dangerous but more of an idiot. Her voice needs to be replaced by someone relevant to today's discussions. Los Angeles does not need a female Strom Thurmond--in terms of dementia and stupidity. Will she quit? Of course not, her ego is as big as anyone in Washington.
I am offended by the connection you are making. Milo wants people dead that report the news they don't like. Waters wants people to protest government policies. The two actions are not the same, and not even close to the same, linking them together is offensive.
Another Bear
kjkbear said:

Comparing Strom Thurmond to Maxine Waters is pretty freakin' dumb, especially in light of the death threats to the Congresswoman. That's old school confederate thinking. You're an idiot.
dajo9
I'm a big fan of Maxine Waters myself. Would never compare her to a segregationist like Thurmond.
okaydo
concordtom said:

I imagine he's keeping the Secret Service very busy these days!
I wouldn't be surprised if they failed one day.
I AM surprised OJ is still here.
Two guilty men.

I am scared of Trump dying, either naturally or intentionally. The chaos that would ensue would be crazy!

You have to be careful what you wish for.

Liberals (like God, below) celebrated Antonin Scalia dying. But boy I wish he were still alive.

Edited to add: Do you think Scalia, if he were still alive, would pull a Kennedy?

sycasey
dajo9 said:

I'm a big fan of Maxine Waters myself. Would never compare her to a segregationist like Thurmond.
Hadn't you heard? Being loudly and stridently liberal is now equivalent to being a conservative racist. Fine people on both sides.
concordtom
Oh, no.
I wish for it!

Chaos if he were to die?
Dude, it is chaos NOW!

Edit, I DO worry about chaos if he were assassinated. Or a hint of conspiracy. We don't need that!
But an embarrassing trip and fall down a flight of stairs?
A stroke where he starts mumbling at the mic, then faints?
Oh, so sad!
okaydo
concordtom said:

Oh, no.
I wish for it!

Chaos if he were to die?
Dude, it is chaos NOW!

Edit, I DO worry about chaos if he were assassinated. Or a hint of conspiracy. We don't need that!
But an embarrassing trip and fall down a flight of stairs?
A stroke where he starts mumbling at the mic, then faints?
Oh, so sad!

As I've mentioned before....

I think Mike Pence is great at being terrible, while Trump is terrible at being terrible.

Pence would be as incompetent as Trump*, but he would do it while outwardly being perfectly reasonable.

*Let's not forget that Indiana -- red state Indiana!! -- hated him for his incompetence.
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/19/latest-poll-race-governor-remains-tight/84616830/

Also, yes, however Trump were to die, it would fuel conspiracy theories for years. I mean, Trumpers are fueled by conspiracies. Geez, you think JFK was bad?

Another thing: A popular thing that anti-Trump people like to say, especially when Trump reaches a new low, is that future generations will be shocked by what took place.

My contention: No they won't. Trump's norms, after he's long gone, will always be remembered and may still be put to use. So future generations will see the evolution of this, not what it was like before Trump was elected.

So Trump going away wouldn't mean much.

Also, I'd rather have my terrible leader be nakedly terrible than be good at inwardly terrible.

sycasey
okaydo said:

Another thing: A popular thing that anti-Trump people like to say, especially when Trump reaches a new low, is that future generations will be shocked by what took place.

My contention: No they won't. Trump's norms, after he's long gone, will always be remembered and may still be put to use. So future generations will see the evolution of this, not what it was like before Trump was elected.

So Trump going away wouldn't mean much.

Also, I'd rather have my terrible leader be nakedly terrible than be good at inwardly terrible.
The positive impact of Trump (if there is one) is that it is forcing people to recognize the many things we've let slip in civic life. The things we thought were "rules" that really aren't (for example, Presidential candidates being required to release their tax returns). Trump is so brazen and belligerent about everything that it can't easily be ignored.

So the question is, how do we as a country handle Trump's norm-breaking once he's gone? Could be his way of doing things becomes the new normal. Or it could be that the next government introduces new laws to prevent that from happening again. The evolution could go either way.
golden sloth
Two Things:

1. I believe there will be a series of laws to increase transparency at the White House after Trump leaves. Basic stuff like requiring presidential candidates to release their last 10 years of tax forms by September 1st of an election year, and publishing a list of all official visitors to the White House. These are all norms that the president has subverted, and will become law once he is out of office. I think these basic transparency requirements are so universal that they may even make it as amendments to the constitution.

2. I don't know if anyone else in politics would be able to get away with the stuff Trump does. If Trump dies in office and Pence takes over, I don't think he has the same rallying effect on the Trump base. I can't think of any other politician that does. But it might not matter because the Republicans have something more powerful and unifying than any individual's personal charisma, Fox News.
kjkbear
I concede that comparing Maxine Waters to Strom Thurmond was a mistake. I was specifically making the comparison while only looking at Thurmond as someone who before he retired/died was long past any level of usefulness in Washington. Dana Carvey would have been better. I view Waters as just as ready to be retired.
sycasey
kjkbear said:

I concede that comparing Maxine Waters to Strom Thurmond was a mistake. I was specifically making the comparison while only looking at Thurmond as someone who before he retired/died was long past any level of usefulness in Washington. Dana Carvey would have been better. I view Waters as just as ready to be retired.
Bernie Sanders is also very old, but seems to have proven that his brand of politics is alive and well.
golden sloth
sycasey said:

kjkbear said:

Bernie Sanders is also very old, but seems to have proven that his brand of politics is alive and well.
I feel that although Bernie lost the election, he won the debate within the Democratic party. The dem base is embracing his key policy issues. Some I support, some I do not.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

I feel that although Bernie lost the election, he won the debate within the Democratic party. The dem base is embracing his key policy issues. Some I support, some I do not.
It definitely seems to be going that way, especially with young people. You could see the early evidence of this in the Sanders campaign.
okaydo
golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

Although...Bernie has been criticized for his lack of support of recent dem causes, like the family separation marches.

This is what he chose to do instead on Saturday.

okaydo

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.