It's on...Trump's Trade War has begun

2,120 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trade War Between U.S. and China Moves From Threat to Reality

Trade War Threat Gets Real as Trump Confirms China Tariffs

What is a trade war? And all your other questions, answered

Da shtt is gonna hit the fan and it will not be okay or fun. GOP deplorables, you got what you voted for. It's on you and Dotard.
Blueblood

bearister
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/09/trump-trade-war-american-cheese-wisconsin?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
Watch out what you wish for. These good ole boys wanted tRump, well, they got'em.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/business/economy/tariffs-south-carolina-bmw.html
bearister
"Trump launched the day by calling tariffs "the greatest." The White House then unveiled a $12 billion aid package for farmers affected by the trade war. Republicans weren't thrilled." Axios
Another Bear
This is what Trump tweeted about tariffs...although it applies to his whole presidency.

What You're Seeing... Is Not What's Happening.' People Are Comparing This Trump Quote to George Orwell
golden sloth
I found this amusing:

Quote:

The red, white and blue banners for U.S. President Donald Trump's second-term campaign are ready to ship, emblazoned with the words "Keep America Great!"

But they are made in eastern China and soon could be hit by punitive tariffs of Trump's own making as he ratchets up a rancorous trade dispute with Beijing.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-flags/made-in-china-trump-re-election-flags-may-get-burned-by-his-tariffs-idUSKBN1KF1D6
Another Bear

Republicans are Irrate - and paralyzed- over tariffs and farm welfare ...and they're going to get their butts stomped for sitting on their hands.

Anarchistbear
That the Executive branch can universally impose tariffs that can screw up 50 states without approval of their representatives just shows there is way too much power in one branch.
golden sloth
Anarchistbear said:

That the Executive branch can universally impose tariffs that can screw up 50 states without approval of their representatives just shows there is way too much power in one branch.
I don't believe it can, its just the Republican congress has no interest in opposing Trump, because they fear the wrath of their constituents (ironically), and y'know 'Job before Party and Party before Country'.
dajo9
the law passed by Congress allows the President to set tariffs based on national security. Trump is abusing the law. All Congress has to do is assert itself. This isn't a President vs. Congress issue, this is a Republican Party issue.
American Vermin
golden sloth
And Congress unanimously approved lowering tariffs on a range of products, half of which were made in China.

Quote:

With no debate, the Senate unanimously passed a bill that would cut or eliminate tariffs on toasters, chemicals and roughly 1,660 other items made outside the United States.

Nearly half of those items are produced in China, according to a Reuters analysis of government records.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-trade/u-s-senate-quietly-votes-to-cut-tariffs-on-hundreds-of-chinese-goods-idUSKBN1KG35R?il=0
golden sloth
Apparently some Republican Senators told the Trump Administration to halt new tariffs and don't pull out of NAFTA or new NAFTA (which is essentially the same) will not be ratified. There were some other interesting tidbits in there. My initial read is that some of the economic conservatives are starting to break from Trump's populism stance.

Quote:

Several Republican senators also said they oppose any effort to impose up to 25 percent tariffs on imported cars and trucks on national security grounds. The Commerce Department must deliver the results of its investigation to the White House by Feb. 17. "It was made very clear in there that tariffs on autos don't have much to do with national security," Grassley said.

Senators also said the White House must get rid of tariffs on imported Canadian and Mexican aluminum and steel if they want to win approval of the trade deal in the U.S. Senate.

Senator Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican, said the metal tariffs are hurting automakers. "They are making it harder to build cars in Tennessee," he said Wednesday. "You can't build more cars and have more jobs in the United States if you have the highest priced steel."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-nafta/republican-senators-to-trump-do-not-terminate-nafta-idUSKCN1PV2PJ
concordtom
Whatever the issue is, it's simply taking way too long for us to get rid of him.
I'm sick to my stomach for over two years!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.