SF Pro-Am

10,314 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
found this on YouTube. Someone uploaded it just 3 days ago.

JHD is #1 in red.
Paris is #3 in red.

concordtom
The only other Cal Bear on a roster is Andre Kelly, on another team from JHD and Paris.

http://sanfranciscoproam.com/rosters-m.html

Paul Marigney is still banging it.
concordtom
Kelly is on Bay Raiders, next up on Monday the 16th.
JHD and Paris are on Dream Team, playing right NOW

Is it still free, in case anyone wants to catch a game live?
All games at 8pm.

Schedule here
http://sanfranciscoproam.com/schedule-m.html
puget sound cal fan
So how much of a difference will a true PG with skills have on Bear basketball next season? A big one, IMHO.
GMP
concordtom said:

found this on YouTube. Someone uploaded it just 3 days ago.

JHD is #1 in red.
Paris is #3 in red.

Kinda sad to see how empty that gym is. It's a great place to watch a game. Remember when SF was a basketball town?
helltopay1
yes I do!!High school teams used to play to packed houses. Colleges also played there to packed houses. Things started to go south in the late 1960's. Things have been going south in SF ever since the late 1960's. SF today is one of the great disgraces in the US.
concordtom
Dear Hell and SFC,
I'd love to hear you guys compare and contrast supporting or disagreeing commentary on that thesis.

Things have been going south in SF ever since the late 1960's. SF today is one of the great disgraces in the US.

Why say that?
concordtom
puget sound cal fan said:

So how much of a difference will a true PG with skills have on Bear basketball next season? A big one, IMHO.
I sat next to Paris' dad one game with my brother. We were just chatting it up all game and toward the end I learned who he was (he said). The decision to go to Boise was done by then, and he handled it well. I told him I'd caught some of Paris on tv and thought he should come to Cal, but the dad was chill with it. Shrugged his shoulders, saying Cal just wanted to go in a different direction.

I'll assert that things could have gone better for Ivan with Paris here then.
I'd also love to find myself sitting next to Dad again, just talking hoops. Vindication for them, I imagine!
I'm a Paris Austin fan already!!! He can't lose!
calbearinamaze
Thanks CT.

It is alright to say I'm excited about Paris? His stats can be intrepreted as: few to zero 3s, some Js from around 15 feet, drive to the basket and get fouled, make shot or pass off. Doesn't seem that there's a plethora of D here, but he looks sorta quick.

BTW: Ivan was mentioned in this thread. Last night in 27 mins., he was 8-12, for 17 pts, 8 rebs...7 of
them ORB. Have to root for him.

Being a Cal fan: You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

GO BEARS!!!

oskidunker
concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,
I'd love to hear you guys compare and contrast supporting or disagreeing commentary on that thesis.

Things have been going south in SF ever since the late 1960's. SF today is one of the great disgraces in the US.

Why say that?
Homeless, drug use, restrictions on police, conventions cancellimg because too dangerous and dirty. Bart a mess. I never go there anymore.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
oskidunker said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?
Homeless, drug use, restrictions on police, conventions cancellimg because too dangerous and dirty. Bart a mess. I never go there anymore.
Did you stop going in the late 50's? Because it's been like that my entire life

But I haven't been to the pro-am in probably a decade. Is there really any 'PRO' anymore? In the 80's & 90's, I recall it consisted of about 1/3 NBA players, 1/3 local college stars (the best players from each team) and 1/3 local Amateur legends (there were a couple of brothers, whose names escape me that were SF playground legends and SF Pro-Am fixtures. Once in a while a high school player would pop in (Calvin Bird, Jason Kidd).

When I stopped going there was NO NBA off-season talent, second tier local college players and some others.

Attendance was always hit or miss in those days, depending on who was rumored to show up, traffic and hotwing specials at the Kezar Pub

Looks like it talent level may be getting better?
oskidunker
Stopped going for two reason.

1. Cal Players often didnt show up
2. Did not like the non structured style of play. No screens, no offensive sets, no plan. Dunks, shoot when open. No passing etc. Just very boring to watch plus the parking is a bear.
Go Bears!
helltopay1
Dear Concord: My God man!!!!In the last 50 years, have you never read anything except the sports page??In the immortal words of John McEnroe, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS"I was born in SF. I was raised in SF. Trust me on this one.
oskidunker
My friend Bruce went last night and says we are in for a long year. Said Dyson just stood around and really didnt do anything while Austin constantly drove to the basket with most shots getting blocked. Dyson took onebthree which he missed. Austin made a 15 footer.

I dont think you can really tell much from these games but what he saw was not encouraging. Mostly selfishnplay by all involved with the guy from San Franciso never passing. Evidently aparis was wide open on several occasions and no one would pass him the ball.

This is why I dont go. Very boring.
Go Bears!
Yogi58
In my opinion, nothing is ever learned from watching SF Pro Am games, either positively or negatively about a player The games are too unstructured to make any meaningful conclusions.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?
Not much different from Telegraph Avenue, or Shattuck, I'd expect. In 2016, I was returning from a party at the Cal Alumni Building, and I witnessed a man get shot at Dana and Haste. He dropped with a thud, and was taken to an ER in critical condition. I never found out if he made it.

A friend of mine, Steve Gray, who was an All-American at St Marys, tried out with the Warriors, but was cut, so he decided to go to work as a cop in Berkeley. I bumped into him on a bus down on San Pablo Ave. I asked him what he was doing those days. He said he was selling used cars. "What happened to the job with the Berkeley Police Dept," I asked. He replied, "My wife made me quit that job. Too many gun battles, and she thinks at 6-6, I'm too big a target." And that was nearly 50 years ago. Imagine what Berkeley is like today.

But this is not the worst. SF and Berkeley still pretty tame compared to Chicago, Detroit, Philly, D.C. or Baltimore.

SFCityBear
concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?
Tom,

Trust helltopay1 on this. I'm not going to get into a discussion with him on this, just to satisfy your curiosity, because he and I agree on all of it. Go see for yourself, if you don't believe him. Besides, I think you need to get out more anyway.

SFCB
boredom
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?
Not much different from Telegraph Avenue, or Shattuck, I'd expect. In 2016, I was returning from a party at the Cal Alumni Building, and I witnessed a man get shot at Dana and Haste. He dropped with a thud, and was taken to an ER in critical condition. I never found out if he made it.

A friend of mine, Steve Gray, who was an All-American at St Marys, tried out with the Warriors, but was cut, so he decided to go to work as a cop in Berkeley. I bumped into him on a bus down on San Pablo Ave. I asked him what he was doing those days. He said he was selling used cars. "What happened to the job with the Berkeley Police Dept," I asked. He replied, "My wife made me quit that job. Too many gun battles, and she thinks at 6-6, I'm too big a target." And that was nearly 50 years ago. Imagine what Berkeley is like today.

But this is not the worst. SF and Berkeley still pretty tame compared to Chicago, Detroit, Philly, D.C. or Baltimore.

I don't think data supports the violent crime has grown out of control narrative. It certainly doesn't nationwide. I spent a couple minutes googling and found a few data points at the city level. For example, www.ucrdatatool.gov/ lets you query yearly crime counts by type and department that reported them. SFPD reported crimes are available here for 1985 - 2014. The most recent years show violent crime rates way down and half of what they were 15 years earlier. It's getting better (or was as of a few years ago), not worse.

As far as "at least we're not those terrible cities" goes.. SF's violent crime rate is significantly lower than places like Wichita and Tulsa per FBI crime data. Oakland is pretty bad. San Jose is fantastic. The worst places are St Louis, Detroit, and Memphis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate
NVBear78
concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?

Have you been to SF recently Tom? How did you like it? What was it like in cleanliness, people on the street and overall atmosphere compared to ten years ago or twenty years ago? Do your daughters feel safe there? Do you think they are safe there compared to the past?
GMP
NVBear78 said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?

Have you been to SF recently Tom? How did you like it? What was it like in cleanliness, people on the street and overall atmosphere compared to ten years ago or twenty years ago? Do your daughters feel safe there? Do you think they are safe there compared to the past?

Have you? I live here. I have young kids. I take them almost anywhere in this city. It's perfectly safe. As with anywhere, there are areas to avoid. Yes, homelessness is a problem, but the large majority mean no harm and present no threat. Among major cities, SF's violent crime rate is relatively low.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

OneKeg
Since ripping on San Francisco and Berkeley based on anecdotal evidence seems to be trendy, I'll add my positive anecdotes.

I grew up in Berkeley and my parents still live there. For the past 17 years, I've lived in the Presidio area of San Francisco in the middle of a forest with a view of the Pacific ocean and can hear the waves crashing on Baker Beach a little under a mile below us. Tons of trees and wildlife. Hiking trails 30 feet from my door. Not much traffic except right near the GG Bridge or on race/triathalon route days when the route goes through here. And no, while I do fine, I'm not hugely wealthy in bay area terms.

Ok the above is not very representative of most of San Francisco, right? But neither is the area of downtown near where I work with its extensive homelessness/drug-use problem. Most of San Francisco is not at either extreme. Check out the neighborhoods - Noe Valley, Taraval, Outer Richmond, Divis and California, Russian Hill etc. - none are the urban hellscapes being implied.

I also take my 8-year-old kid to Berkeley regularly for football and basketball games, and to see his grandparents. I have never once felt unsafe in either San Francisco or Berkeley. And I've taken my kid all over different SF neighborhoods to play in SF youth league soccer games. Maybe I just haven't gone to the wrong places at the wrong time of night?

On the other hand, there's been one or two times I've felt unsafe in parts of L.A. say near the Coliseum, or even random urban backwaters in US cities like eastern Denver/Aurora. I think a bit over a decade ago, I took some wrong exits and turns without GPS in a rental car while going to visit a client in Houston and accidentally meandered through one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I don't recall any area like that in San Francisco, even the few times I've been in the Bayview/Hunters Point area of SF. I've never been the victim of a crime in San Francisco or Berkeley. Not to say it couldn't happen of course.

So sure San Francisco and Berkeley both have problems, some self-inflicted, no question. So do many urban and semi-urban areas in America these days, though SF and Berkeley's problems skew differently than in other cities.

Argh, sorry for the ramble! Back on topic - as for the Pro-Am. Yeah... probably not going to tell us much about our guys. Everyone seems to focus only on how we're going to score next year, but I'm just as worried if not more so about our defense. We'll have no rim protection with Okoroh (and to a much lesser extent Lee) gone so we'll need good perimeter defenders. Do we have anyone other than maybe JHD that can do that? Not sure but the Pro-am sure won't tell us.
GMP
OneKeg said:

Since ripping on San Francisco and Berkeley based on anecdotal evidence seems to be trendy, I'll add my positive anecdotes.

I grew up in Berkeley and my parents still live there. For the past 17 years, I've lived in the Presidio area of San Francisco in the middle of a forest with a view of the Pacific ocean and can hear the waves crashing on Baker Beach a little under a mile below us. Tons of trees and wildlife. Hiking trails 30 feet from my door. Not much traffic except right near the GG Bridge or on race/triathalon route days when the route goes through here. And no, while I do fine, I'm not hugely wealthy in bay area terms.

Ok the above is not very representative of most of San Francisco, right? But neither is the area of downtown near where I work with its extensive homelessness/drug-use problem. Most of San Francisco is not at either extreme. Check out the neighborhoods - Noe Valley, Taraval, Outer Richmond, Divis and California, Russian Hill etc. - none are the urban hellscapes being implied.

I also take my 8-year-old kid to Berkeley regularly for football and basketball games, and to see his grandparents. I have never once felt unsafe in either San Francisco or Berkeley. And I've taken my kid all over different SF neighborhoods to play in SF youth league soccer games. Maybe I just haven't gone to the wrong places at the wrong time of night?

On the other hand, there's been one or two times I've felt unsafe in parts of L.A. say near the Coliseum, or even random urban backwaters in US cities like eastern Denver/Aurora. I think a bit over a decade ago, I took some wrong exits and turns without GPS in a rental car while going to visit a client in Houston and accidentally meandered through one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I don't recall any area like that in San Francisco, even the few times I've been in the Bayview/Hunters Point area of SF. I've never been the victim of a crime in San Francisco or Berkeley. Not to say it couldn't happen of course.

So sure San Francisco and Berkeley both have problems, some self-inflicted, no question. So do many urban and semi-urban areas in America these days, though SF and Berkeley's problems skew differently than in other cities.

Argh, sorry for the ramble! Back on topic - as for the Pro-Am. Yeah... probably not going to tell us much about our guys. Everyone seems to focus only on how we're going to score next year, but I'm just as worried if not more so about our defense. We'll have no rim protection with Okoroh (and to a much lesser extent Lee) gone so we'll need good perimeter defenders. Do we have anyone other than maybe JHD that can do that? Not sure but the Pro-am sure won't tell us.

They need San Francisco to be the boogeyman so they can blame the damn librulls.
calumnus
NVBear78 said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?

San Francisco is almost completely gentrified. Pretty tough to find a tough neighborhood these days.
concordtom
helltopay1 said:

Dear Concord: My God man!!!!In the last 50 years, have you never read anything except the sports page??In the immortal words of John McEnroe, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS"I was born in SF. I was raised in SF. Trust me on this one.
I asked the question not out of any disbelief.
I asked the question because I respect your opinion, which is formed from many more years lived than me.
No, I have not read about SF's cleanliness and general quality of life from 60-70 years ago. I thought you might provide some recollections which would describe.
concordtom
Yogi Bear said:

In my opinion, nothing is ever learned from watching SF Pro Am games, either positively or negatively about a player The games are too unstructured to make any meaningful conclusions.
Not true.
I went to watch one year and a "teammate" told the reason why Bubba Paris' kid wasn't back on the team was because he didn't attend classes.
What was his name? Must have gotten sick of being called Bubba's kid, no? He shoulda gone to his classes.

Regarding learning about the players' hoops skills, how about going just because it's fun to watch me hoop it up.
You CAN learn - how they move, jump, communicate, body language....
concordtom
oskidunker said:

My friend Bruce went last night and says we are in for a long year. Said Dyson just stood around and really didnt do anything while Austin constantly drove to the basket with most shots getting blocked. Dyson took onebthree which he missed. Austin made a 15 footer.

I dont think you can really tell much from these games but what he saw was not encouraging. Mostly selfishnplay by all involved with the guy from San Franciso never passing. Evidently aparis was wide open on several occasions and no one would pass him the ball.

This is why I dont go. Very boring.
Thx for the report.
calbearinamaze
Some of you guys think parts of SF are tough.

In DC we have 15-pound chess pieces thrown from a building where
rent for a 2BR starts at around $3, 500.

http://wjla.com/news/local/massive-chess-pieces-rocks-thrown-from-roof-of-dc-apartment-building

In less "ritzy" areas "THEY" (whoever "THEY" are/is?) throw down 5-pound checkers.

Being a Cal fan: You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

GO BEARS!!!

Econ141
GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?

Have you? I live here. I have young kids. I take them almost anywhere in this city. It's perfectly safe. As with anywhere, there are areas to avoid. Yes, homelessness is a problem, but the large majority mean no harm and present no threat. Among major cities, SF's violent crime rate is relatively low.

I have been an SF resident for 6 years now leaving in the North Beach / Fisherman's Wharf area and can absolutely attest to this city getting a whole lot worse. I can go a week without ever seeing a cop and when I do they are often old or just goofing around with each other. There is human feces all over the place and noticeably more mentally deranged people walking about. People always told me that while they look scary and are aggressive, they won't hurt you. Well one looney stabbed a couple near a playground near me. So while 99% of them don't harm you it doesn't matter because you need to be vigilant loolingout for that 1%.

I love the city but it's clear it's being run by either lazy or corrupt politicians.

Violent crime is one indicator of how bad a city is but to bring this back to sports ... SF does not meet the eye-test should be left out of the tournament for best American city.
GMP
fat_slice said:

GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?

I have been an SF resident for 6 years now leaving in the North Beach / Fisherman's Wharf area and can absolutely attest to this city getting a whole lot worse. I can go a week without ever seeing a cop and when I do they are often old or just goofing around with each other. There is human feces all over the place and noticeably more mentally deranged people walking about. People always told me that while they look scary and are aggressive, they won't hurt you. Well one looney stabbed a couple near a playground near me. So while 99% of them don't harm you it doesn't matter because you need to be vigilant loolingout for that 1%.

I love the city but it's clear it's being run by either lazy or corrupt politicians.

Violent crime is one indicator of how bad a city is but to bring this back to sports ... SF does not meet the eye-test should be left out of the tournament for best American city.
C'mon. One anecdotal story is not evidence of anything. And it's certainly not evidence of SF being worse than other cities, when those other cities have the same issues. Find me a major American city without violent crime, homelessness, etc. You're also complaining about lack of police presence in the safest neighborhoods. Walk around the Tenderloin and tell me if you see police. You will.

It's certainly not perfect. But it's better than many cities, worse than others. It is certainly not a "great disgrace", as was claimed to begin this discussion.
Civil Bear
calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?

San Francisco is almost completely gentrified. Pretty tough to find a tough neighborhood these days.

Actually it's quite easy. Don't think so? Meet me at 3rd & Oakdale tonight around 10pm to discuss further.
Civil Bear
GMP said:

C'mon. One anecdotal story is not evidence of anything. And it's certainly not evidence of SF being worse than other cities, when those other cities have the same issues. Find me a major American city without violent crime, homelessness, etc. You're also complaining about lack of police presence in the safest neighborhoods. Walk around the Tenderloin and tell me if you see police. You will.

It's certainly not perfect. But it's better than many cities, worse than others. It is certainly not a "great disgrace", as was claimed to begin this discussion.

SF certainly has major homeless and filth problems. Compared to places like Manhattan it's night & day. These days it's almost impossible to have lunch downtown without getting a urine whiff aperitif on the way. Yeah, there is the occasional cop car in the Tenderloin, but yet as a pedestrian you can witness drug deals daily.

New Mayor London Breed wants to help clean it up by forcing homeless into shelters. This ought to be good.
PtownBear1
Civil Bear said:

GMP said:

SF certainty has a major homeless and filth problems. Compared to places like Manhattan it's night & day. These days it's almost impossible to have lunch downtown without getting a urine whiff aperitif on the way. Yeah, there is the occasional cop car in the Tenderloin, but yet as a pedestrian you can witness drug deals daily.

New Mayor London Bree wants to help clean it up by forcing homeless into shelters. This ought to be good.
I don't normally chime in on the off topic posts, but this topic hits close to home and always gets me ranting.

I used to live in a nice high rise in South Beach. It was a 15 min walk to my office which was amazing but not a day went by that I didn't have to avoid human feces or vomit on my walk. Then as if that wasn't bad enough, the city built a new homeless shelter at Folsom and Essex in the middle of the South Beach high rises where people pay $1-2k/sqft to live. They could have built this shelter in any number of places in Soma away from luxury buildings, but chose to stick it right there. Within the first week of its opening, there was a murder in the building. Within 2 weeks of its opening, residents in my building were getting harassed to the point where they started moving out. I sold my place soon after and left the city. Don't plan on ever moving back unless there is a major change in the way the city is run.
oskidunker
London BreeD says she is going to clean this mess up. We shall see. At least she has an interesting name .They are losing conventions thus taxvrevenue because of the problem. This may be a motivating factor.
Go Bears!
Econ141
GMP said:

fat_slice said:

GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

concordtom said:

Dear Hell and SFC,

Why say that?

It is most definitely not a safe neighborhood and I have lived in DC, and NYC. Have you visited recently? I see theft from the neighborhood Safeway very often ...I see poor tourists cars broken into virtually every day. You should see the level of frustration in the neighborhood with the human feces and the pictures of people doing attempted break in being posted all over. It may have been safe before but now. Also, my point is that violent crime is not the only thing that makes a city safe. The crazies that walk around screaming and clearly out of their minds does not make people feel safe .. and that's what really counts.
puget sound cal fan
Very discouraging to hear.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.