R.I.P. Ed King

1,214 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by prospeCt
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/aug/23/ed-king-dead-lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-life-career-songs?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/aug/23/ed-king-dead-lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-life-career-songs?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Thanks Barrister for positing. I saw that he died. Strawberry Alarm Clock to Skynnrd. Who had thunk it! The guitar rift that started a music genre.
AunBear89
"Guitar rift"?

Awww, lookit the old dude trying to be cool! Keep trying buddy; you'll fool someone one of these days!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
wifeisafurd
AunBear89 said:

"Guitar rift"?

Awww, lookit the old dude trying to be cool! Keep trying buddy; you'll fool someone one of these days!
King was 69 dude, and he called it a rift. Go back to your Game Boy Mr. 89.
bearister
wifeisafurd said:

AunBear89 said:

"Guitar rift"?

Rift is an old guy expression. The list of top guitarists of all time are all old dudes. An old dude trying to be cool would toss around whatever the term is for what a modern musician does when he presses the button to initialize his electronic music.
BearsWiin
Was flipping around the channels Thursday evening and found the new Skynyrd documentary If I Leave Here Tomorrow on Starz or Showtime. It had just started, so I watched it. Good footage that I'd never seen before, and some info about the formation of the band and their creative process that I hadn't known, so it was a good watch. Sound mixing was horrible, though; the music tracks on the rear channel speakers frequently drowned out the dialogue coming from the center channel. Next morning I saw online that King had died, and figured that was why they'd shown the documentary at that time.

Skynyrd (and the Allman Bros.) are national treasures. Something about three guitarists on stage feeding off of one another brings a big grin to my face, ever' time
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

wifeisafurd said:

AunBear89 said:

"Guitar rift"?

Rift is an old guy expression. The list of top guitarists of all time are all old dudes. An old dude trying to be cool would toss around whatever the term is for what a modern musician does when he presses the button to initialize his electronic music.
Old guys rock, literally.
bearister
BearsWiin said:

....Skynyrd (and the Allman Bros.) are national treasures. Something about three guitarists on stage feeding off of one another brings a big grin to my face, ever' time

I believe one of Duane Allman's favorite albums, which he wore the grooves off, was Kind of Blue featuring:

Miles Davis trumpet
Julian "Cannonball" Adderley alto saxophone (except on "Blue in Green")
John Coltrane tenor saxophone
Bill Evans piano (except on "Freddie Freeloader")
Wynton Kelly piano (on "Freddie Freeloader")
Paul Chambers double bass
Jimmy Cobb drums
prospeCt

great for lost latter-day Honkettes on backup vocals

"Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it ", if so inclined, & beneficent 🙏🏼
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.