The Florida race will be interesting

okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This will be a very interesting race with distinct sides and platforms. Basically Trump vs. Sanders, the deplorables vs. the socialist.

Could be a referendum on Trump, so there's a good chance of a backlash vote that gets Gillum elected. Trump came out punching even as he never heard of Gillum. Gillum now has major backing.
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a part of me that hopes Florida keeps electing Republicans. I think it would be interesting to grow old watching Florida be overcome by red / green algae ocean water. This kind of schadenfraude does not make me a good person, I realize. But we all need hobbies in our old age.

https://gizmodo.com/a-disgusting-green-sludge-is-devouring-floridas-coast-1783127892
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another Bear said:

Could be a referendum on Trump, so there's a good chance of a backlash vote that gets Gillum elected. Trump came out punching even as he never heard of Gillum. Gillum now has major backing.
That's my guess about what happens here. The increased turnout for Gillum (who seems to truly excite the base voters on the left) also helps Bill Nelson hold off Rick Scott in the Senate race. Also DeSantis seems bad at this.

But as we all know, Florida is weird.
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is going to get nasty but agree, DeSantis doesn't seem very good at this. My guess is he gets both feet in his mouth by the time it's over, maybe both butt cheeks. He's not smart.

From NBC News. It's making the rounds:
Quote:

DeSantis under fire for saying Florida shouldn't 'monkey this up' by electing Gillum, who is black

Gillum, the Democratic nominee for governor, shot back that the Republican's comment was a racist "bullhorn" and straight from Trump's playbook.
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not optimistic, Florida has become more conservative over the past two years as more boomers retire and move there. I recently read an article that democrats hoped the displaced people from Puerto Rico may help, but those 50,000 - 100,000 people don't match the number of retirees moving in.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
golden sloth said:

I'm not optimistic, Florida has become more conservative over the past two years as more boomers retire and move there. I recently read an article that democrats hoped the displaced people from Puerto Rico may help, but those 50,000 - 100,000 people don't match the number of retirees moving in.
The other side of it is that the Democratic-leaning voters have turned out poorly in non-Presidential years. The shoe is on the other foot with Trump in the White House; now the GOP has to fight that tide.
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Feels like a pretty big overreaction given that "monkey" is often used the way he used it. Given that Desantis is both (x) a Trumper and (y) apparently fairly intelligent, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a very purposeful decision on his part to use a borderline phrase in hopes of getting a reaction.

I think this kerfluffle probably helps Desantis get more craven whites to vote for him without really benefiting Gillum. Chalk it up as another victory for Fox News.

golden sloth said:

I'm not optimistic, Florida has become more conservative over the past two years as more boomers retire and move there. I recently read an article that democrats hoped the displaced people from Puerto Rico may help, but those 50,000 - 100,000 people don't match the number of retirees moving in.

It would be kind of nice if we can consolidate more of the selfish boomer class into Florida and out of all these other swing states. May still be better for the country if we want a president who has our country's interests somewhere in his top 5.
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The media is/are terrible, but the AP is especially terrible.


Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Michael Steele doesn't give DeSantis a pass...and Fox News pushed back on DeSantis' comment. Didn't think Fox would do that but it was obvious the comment was meant to injure and divide.
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also interesting stuff here from Buzzfeed News. It seems their overall strategy to pay for journalism with clickbait might be starting to pay off. The reporter for this article, Darren Sands, has been covering Gillum for a while, real on the ground journalism. Biggest take-aways: African American community thought it was an obligation to vote. Also mentioned Gillum's run felt like Obama as in there's hope and a chance and the get out to vote worked.

If Anyone Had Bothered Talking To Black Voters, They Would Have Known Andrew Gillum Was Going To Win
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another Bear said:

Also interesting stuff here from Buzzfeed News. It seems their overall strategy to pay for journalism with clickbait might be starting to pay off. The reporter for this article, Darren Sands, has been covering Gillum for a while, real on the ground journalism. Biggest take-aways: African American community thought it was an obligation to vote. Also mentioned Gillum's run felt like Obama as in there's hope and a chance and the get out to vote worked.

If Anyone Had Bothered Talking To Black Voters, They Would Have Known Andrew Gillum Was Going To Win


This is why I said Gillum would win in the general election. Obama won Florida twice, in part because he drove turnout like this. When Republicans win they tend to win in low-turnout off years.

Again, no guarantees but I like his chances.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are three progressive blacks running for Governor in 3 states- Maryland, Georgia, Florida. There are currently no black Governors; none of these states has ever had a black Governor. All three were endorsed by Bernie Sanders who also campaigned in their behalf and all three are talented office holders and local not national figures. This is the meshing of the Sanders movement with grassroots African Americans and this coalition is the future. Nobody cares about DC. The game is on the ground.
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He may have intended to say "throw a monkey wrench in the machinery" but the fact that many Republican politicians are intellectually challenged as well as racist makes it a mixed message in a best case scenario. Takeaway: F him.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Page 1 of 1
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.