Shut-up

937 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by offshorebear
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
President Donald Trump, weighing in on the emergency during a trip to France, said early on Saturday that "gross mismanagement of forests" was to blame. "There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor," he wrote in a Twitter post.
"Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!" he added.

I can't speak to the northern fires, but the areas down south in the fire zone have nothing to do with forest, no less forest management. They are hill side, suburban communities for the most part, located in chaparral. There are major efforts by government and home owners to clear brush away. But when the wind blows badly, fire gets out of control, especially when the natural vegetation is dry. There are no federal dollars from federal forrest service involved, and the only Fed money that I am aware of (and I'm willing to be corrected) is dealing with fighting the fire.

I know many people who have been evacuated, at the last thing they need in their anguish now is this. They want to know their government is doing everything possible to save their homes and towns. Not a pissing fight on if California should be removing dead trees from some forest area that is not presently burning (again, I can only speak to the SoCal fires). There is a time, I suppose, to look at how to manage the risk of fires in SoCal, but this is not it. The focus should be on fighting the fires.
sp4149
wifeisafurd said:

President Donald Trump, weighing in on the emergency during a trip to France, said early on Saturday that "gross mismanagement of forests" was to blame. "There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor," he wrote in a Twitter post.
"Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!" he added.

I can't speak to the northern fires, but the areas down south in the fire zone have nothing to do with forest, no less forest management. They are hill side, suburban communities for the most part, located in chaparral. There are major efforts by government and home owners to clear brush away. But when the wind blows badly, fire gets out of control, especially when the natural vegetation is dry. There are no federal dollars from federal forrest service involved, and the only Fed money that I am aware of (and I'm willing to be corrected) is dealing with fighting the fire.

I know many people who have been evacuated, at the last thing they need in their anguish now is this. They want to know their government is doing everything possible to save their homes and towns. Not a pissing fight on if California should be removing dead trees from some forest area that is not presently burning (again, I can only speak to the SoCal fires). There is a time, I suppose, to look at how to manage the risk of fires in SoCal, but this is not it. The focus should be on fighting the fires.
The limited attention span of POTUS means that once the fire is out, wildland management is unimportant. If California got back in Federal dollars the Federal Taxes sent to DC, the state could do a lot more. I have been through National Forests throughout the state, many in the Southland may have once been forests like those in Northern California, but I agree for the most part they are chaparral areas of highly flammable brush with limited native tree canopy areas. Probably the major reason they are called now called "WildFires" not forest fires by the corrupt media and everyone not named Trump.
Watching the battle in the San Diego region to suppress back country fires (and the tax payers in these areas unwilling to pay for fire protection), designation of these areas as National or State Forests provides a minimal level of fire suppression not otherwise available at the local level. As far as assigning blame; the Tea Party knee jerk reaction to paying for the government services they require is forcing the Feds and States to assume responsibility for these back country fires.

FWIW When I worked for the Navy in San Diego we were exempt from following county mandated brush clearance protocols around Navy housing in San Diego.

AS always a fact free President, cannot make fact based decisions.
sycasey
Such leadership.

At least he did better in Puerto Rico. Oh wait . . . no.
Unit2Sucks
He is who we thought he was. Asking Trump to address a complex topic with no easy answers is like asking a pet rock to explain string theory.

The wild fire situation is our version of hurricanes. In part because of fire suppression efforts (exacerbated by human encroachment on forests which lead to complaints about letting fires burn), in part due to climate change, as well as other factors, the wildfires are only going to get worse. I've seen projections that in a few decades it could be 75% worse than it is now.

It's also an ecological tragedy due to the amount of stored carbon released when these fires burn combined with the loss of carbon absorbing trees. The bigger trees in particular we need to find a way to maintain since they are huge stores of carbon.

Anyway, Trump should leave this to the experts if he is unable to listen or read. So I guess this is like every other topic he wades into.
okaydo

sycasey
So who took Trump's phone away?
offshorebear
Good job WH intern. The only thing you'll ever need on your resume is that you wrestled Trump's phone away from him and managed to send out several sane and thoughtful tweets. Incredible career accomplishment!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.