California Fires

3,693 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots to talk about here.

Remember this from August, when in response to the Mendocino Complex fire Trump suggested the problem was that we were diverting too much water into the Pacific rather than using it to combat flames?

"California wildfires are being magnified & made so much worse by the bad environmental laws which aren't allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized. It is being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Must also tree clear to stop fire spreading!"
-Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 5, 2018

"Governor Jerry Brown must allow the Free Flow of the vast amounts of water coming from the North and foolishly being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Can be used for fires, farming and everything else. Think of California with plenty of Water - Nice! Fast Federal govt. approvals."
-Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Aug 6 2018

TRUE RESPONSE
"We have plenty of water to fight these fires," Deputy Cal Fire Chief Scott McLean said in a statement. "The Carr fire has Whiskeytown Lake, Shasta Lake and Trinity Lake just to name a few water sources. The Mendocino Complex is next to Clearlake Lake. The current weather is causing more severe and destructive fires."
concordtom
Okay, who is this IDIOT?!?!?

Republican Duncan Hunter?
What a fool.
In this August video he blames the fires on Californians not being able to "clear brush" (burn under brush or bulldoze it? Unclear.) because of the "stupid endangered species act", and mentions tiger salamander, smelt, and salmon.

That's about as ridiculous an attribution as Trump's!

Someone please tell me he lost his election last week. Listen to him speak so authoritatively, though it's a bunch of poppycock.

concordtom
Then a couple of days ago, Trump blames poor forest management on the fires, and instead of expressing any condolences or offers of support, he threatens Californians by saying he'll withhold funds.

The man is a jackass.
A liar.
Misinformed.
Dangerous.

concordtom
Never mind that forest management has nothing to do with the Malibu fire (as there is no forest there, nor in other places like Coffey Park Santa Rosa), but he says he'll withhold funds from California. Ha, we are THE LARGEST contributor to federal tax coffers AND we receive less back than we pay in.

See these two graphs:

The federal government needs California more than California needs the federal government!
concordtom
Here's a video on that very topic:

sp4149
concordtom said:

Okay, who is this IDIOT?!?!?

Republican Duncan Hunter?
What a fool.
In this August video he blames the fires on Californians not being able to "clear brush" (burn under brush or bulldoze it? Unclear.) because of the "stupid endangered species act", and mentions tiger salamander, smelt, and salmon.

That's about as ridiculous an attribution as Trump's!

Someone please tell me he lost his election last week. Listen to him speak so authoritatively, though it's a bunch of poppycock.
Duncan Hunter was handily re-elected, despite most of the local media calling his tenure in Congress as 'despicable' after he was charged in a 60 count indictment of felony election fraud.

His dad left Congress just before he was indicted on multiple charges. I guess junior doesn't have any children old enough to run for Congress; The trial resumes December 3rd. Seems like a no-brainer for a Democratic house to censure him on Day one if he is convicted. On the other half this strong Trump supported could convince the jury that it was his wife's fault when he committed the multiple offenses. The family values in this case are pretty disgusting.
oski003
concordtom said:

Then a couple of days ago, Trump blames poor forest management on the fires, and instead of expressing any condolences or offers of support, he threatens Californians by saying he'll withhold funds.

The man is a jackass.
A liar.
Misinformed.
Dangerous.

He's still an insensitive ass, but he did offer condolences. I guess you are misinformed on this specific issue.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Nov 10
More than 4,000 are fighting the Camp and Woolsey Fires in California that have burned over 170,000 acres. Our hearts are with those fighting the fires, the 52,000 who have evacuated, and the families of the 11 who have died. The destruction is catastrophic. God Bless them all.
B.A. Bearacus
oski003 said:

concordtom said:

The man is a jackass.
A liar.
Misinformed.
Dangerous.

He's still an insensitive ass, but he did offer condolences. I guess you are misinformed on this specific issue.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Nov 10
More than 4,000 are fighting the Camp and Woolsey Fires in California that have burned over 170,000 acres. Our hearts are with those fighting the fires, the 52,000 who have evacuated, and the families of the 11 who have died. The destruction is catastrophic. God Bless them all.
Which is more worthy of note? The original post that 100% was written by Trump or the cleanup job tweet after the backlash that was 100% not written by him? Do you similarly give credit to Trump for clarifying that he meant to use the the word "not" (thereby completely reversing the meaning of what he actually said) the day after his dumb-asss Helsinki comments?
AunBear89
oski003 said:

concordtom said:

The man is a jackass.
A liar.
Misinformed.
Dangerous.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Nov 10
If you think Cheeto Benito actually wrote that tweet... I really don't what to say to you.

Bless your heart...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
concordtom
Thank you for pointing that out. I had not seen it.
However, now that I am reading it, I note that there are no misspellings, perfect punctuation and sentence structure. Clearly this is an aide typing for him.

TelePrompTer Trump.

concordtom
Holy cow!
A three-fer.
Jinx 1-2-3 on both of you guys!
concordtom

concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
oski003
The comics are funny (even though the fires are not). I just wanted to clarify the misinformation concordtom provided. Trump does a good enough job making himself look bad. I don't understand why his opponents lie, exaggerate, or mis-characterize the truth to make him look worse. It just causes his supporters to mistrust them and dig deeper.
concordtom
oski003 said:

The comics are funny (even though the fires are not). I just wanted to clarify the misinformation concordtom provided. Trump does a good enough job making himself look bad. I don't understand why his opponents lie, exaggerate, or mis-characterize the truth to make him look worse. It just causes his supporters to mistrust them and dig deeper.
I appreciate that your tone is calm and the question appears genuine.
However, the way you phrase it seems to state your own "alternative facts". I did not lie, exaggerate, or mischaracterize. I had not yet seen any commentary of regret on trump's part. And you know what? That's on him. If he has a message for the nation, I'm sure he has the tools at his disposal to accomplish the task. One measly text, which, it appears, he himself did not even craft? Please.

Yet, why are trump's opponents so fired up, like I am?
Because he is the worst and completely unacceptable. Do I seriously need to publish the 1000 page novel about it here? You know the reasons why folks like me can't stand him, don't you?

And I'll ask the same back at you. Honestly, how can you look past his innumerable flaws and still support him?
concordtom
Since you liked the humor, here are some more...

https://www.sltrib.com/resizer/SJ5XjD0fRTyjhPfc_9FNWVDEq-0=/970x0/filters:quality(100)/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-sltrib.s3.amazonaws.com/public/CCKFSMAGABCLRKFIHEEYFQDK7U.jpg
concordtom
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/jack-ohman/e9oln4/picture82600717/alternates/FREE_1140/OHMAN060916color
concordtom
Sorry, those links aren't showing up, but you can click on them. Or do a google images search for TelePrompTer Trump.

oski003
concordtom said:

oski003 said:

However, the way you phrase it seems to state your own "alternative facts". I did not lie, exaggerate, or mischaracterize. I had not yet seen any commentary of regret on trump's part. And you know what? That's on him. If he has a message for the nation, I'm sure he has the tools at his disposal to accomplish the task. One measly text, which, it appears, he himself did not even craft? Please.

Because he is the worst and completely unacceptable. Do I seriously need to publish the 1000 page novel about it here? You know the reasons why folks like me can't stand him, don't you?

And I'll ask the same back at you. Honestly, how can you look past his innumerable flaws and still support him?

By what miracle did you see one tweet and not the other? Do you only check his Twitter in the morning? ... Or perhaps you focus on what your news sources focus on. They are your filter.
concordtom
oski003 said:

concordtom said:

oski003 said:

By what miracle did you see one tweet and not the other? Do you only check his Twitter in the morning? ... Or perhaps you focus on what your news sources focus on. They are your filter.
I actually knew that would be your comeback.
But that just tells me that your quota, your ratio of insults to compliments or neutral comments must be 1:1. Personally, I don't know anywhere that works in this world, but for trump, yeah, he gets to lie and insult all day long, and for (some people), so long as he offsets with one innocuous comment provided by his "crisis management" staff, he's in the clear.

Do note that you didn't even bother to answer the question.
I have no sympathy for trump supporters - part of the problem. It's not just differing opinions. It was that type who obeyed authority and loaded the gas chambers. The flaws are so obvious....

NYTIMES:
Trump Is on Track to Insult 650
People, Places and Things on
Twitter by the End of His First Term
By KEVIN QUEALY JULY 26, 2017
oski003
It's not meant to be an insult. I'm just proving my point. Maybe only non anti-Trumpers look for the entire story. Sometimes there's more than the sensational stories.
concordtom
It's a pile of poop, oski. Your sifting thru a pile of poop looking for justification that there's something wonderful there. It's just a pile of poop and you need to look no further than what's on the surface. Take a whiff - it stinks.

concordtom
At 3:10 Trump tells us about how Finland doesn't have fires because they take leaves.
Honestly, he just says whatever comes to mind, without any thought as to whether it makes sense or not. But it sure sounds authoritative - because he deludes himself I to thinking he knows everything. But he doesn't.
I just really hate him!

concordtom
Here's more raking theory.

concordtom
Someone should get in these parts and do some raking!

concordtom

concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
But, starting in May, if you bring a rake you can get in for free.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.