OT: Clemson White House visit

3,791 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by blungld
Bears2thDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, perhaps this is a "who cares".....

Trump stating that he personally purchased the food for the Clemson Football team visit to White House, then announcing that it came from McD's, Wendy's, Burger King and Dominoes and leaving the food in corporate wrappers seems a bit nonkosher.

Off Clemson Athletics website:
NCAA rules will not allow student-athletes, in any sport, to:
Agree to have their picture or name used to promote a commercial product;
Accept gifts, meals, loans of cars or money from anyone other than their parents or those responsible for your expenses;

Hmmmmmmmm?

Cheers!
Go Bears!!!
bonsallbear
What? No burritos? Impeach!
Bear_Territory
How do they get away with bowl swag?
bearsandgiants
It was a gift to the university, and the university is responsible for the expenses.
Sebastabear
Tone deaf. If you have billionaires in the White House you give them Big Macs and you seem edgy. You take a bunch of kids on the other hand who have not had too many gourmet meals and give them burgers and you seem like a jerk.
71Bear
Bears2thDoc said:

Trump stating that he personally purchased the food for the Clemson Football team visit to White House, then announcing that it came from McD's, Wendy's, Burger King and Dominoes and leaving the food in corporate wrappers seems a bit nonkosher.

Accept gifts, meals, loans of cars or money from anyone other than their parents or those responsible for your expenses;

Hmmmmmmmm?

Cheers!
Go Bears!!!
If this was a problem, many schools in the country would be in violation because athletes are served meals at awards ceremonies. For example, will Cal be cited because Laird received a free meal at a function he attended in Arkansas? Of course, not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the champs going to the White House for some fun and eats......
LunchTime
Bears2thDoc said:

Hmmmmmmmm?

Cheers!
Go Bears!!!
Jesus. As dumb as strange as this fast food thing is, this is the second most asinine reach for why so far.

The most asinine reach is that it is somehow racist that a billionaire who likes fast food thinks other people would like it.

Either way, this is what you get for not protesting/boycotting your white house invite. Cold fast food.
okaydo

LunchTime
bonsallbear said:

no Panda and no Taco Bell. Hmmmm
okaydo

Bears2thDoc
71Bear said:

Bears2thDoc said:

Hmmmmmmmm?

Cheers!
Go Bears!!!
If this was a problem, many schools in the country would be in violation because athletes are served meals at awards ceremonies. For example, will Cal be cited because Laird received a free meal at a function he attended in Arkansas? Of course, not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the champs going to the White House for some fun and eats......
Just to be clear... I don't question the trip or the visit.... or the idea of a meal.
All other times it was paid for by the taxpayers and the food was catered by WH staff.
The difference is that this was allegedly paid for by an individual and consisted of corporate advertising.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
Big C
Of all the football playing colleges, I wonder who would accept the WH invitation and who wouldn't. I'm guessing there would be a "middle ground" where a team might accept it, but it would be controversial at the school. Is anybody at Clemson up in arms over this?

I'd LOVE to see Cal win it all while Trump is still in the White House. (Well, not if it meant him getting a second term.) Of course, by far the best thing about it is that it would mean we won the national championship!

I figure, if we stay healthy, we might almost have a NC-quality defense! All we would need on offense would be 8=9 top-level players at key positions... and probably a new OC... ah, I'm not holding my breath.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

Of all the football playing colleges, I wonder who would accept the WH invitation and who wouldn't. I'm guessing there would be a "middle ground" where a team might accept it, but it would be controversial at the school. Is anybody at Clemson up in arms over this?

I'd LOVE to see Cal win it all while Trump is still in the White House. (Well, not if it meant him getting a second term.) Of course, by far the best thing about it is that it would mean we won the national championship!

I figure, if we stay healthy, we might almost have a NC-quality defense! All we would need on offense would be 8=9 top-level players at key positions... and probably a new OC... ah, I'm not holding my breath.
If you are holding out for national championship, Sasha Obama might be President.
Big C
Only for the sake of this thread. Really, I just want to GET TO a Rose Bowl.
oski003
Not everyone is bought a house to play college football. Reggie Bush chimes in.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/reggie-bush-after-president-trump-celebrates-clemson-with-fast-food-huge-slap-in-the-face/ar-BBShbGb?ocid=spartanntp
dajo9
dajo9
burritos
bonsallbear said:

seriously, f that orange
BGolden
"I won the national championship, visited the White House, met the President of the United States...and all I got was some fast food?"

"I'm so unhappy"
Bear8
Despicable Donald could have ordered some quality food from his own hotel at the old Post Office. Some steaks, some chicken or fish, with veggies, potatoes and some decent dessert. These guys could use the dessert after all they're around 20 years old and the metabolism is running fast. But he makes the excuse that the usual staff at the WH are on furlough due to his shutdown. Well they're not shutdown at the Trump Hotel!
TheSouseFamily
What's truly despicable about the WH fast food spread is that there is zero chance they're getting that stuff from Wendy's, Mickey D, etc and for it to be even remotely hot. One can argue over whether fast food is a pleasurable occasional indulgence but NO ONE can argue about whether it's a worthwhile thing with cold fries and a cold burger. Unless there's a Wendy's just down the hall or the White House has some special re-heating device that maintains the character of a freshly fried French fry, I suspect this was a poor meal.
ducky23
Well...trump is certainly a departure from Michelle obama's initiative to curtail childhood obesity thru exercise and a healthier diet.

But you know, if CJ Anderson has proved anything, the fatter the better, right?
510 Bear
The one good thing to come out of this awful stunt (which OF COURSE he blamed on the Dems) was Trump tweeting that he bought "100 hamberders" from Burger King.

To which they replied...

Another Bear
Yeah the whole thing is weird and odd, and the real people Trump is feeding are his base.

On the positive side, these lads will have a great and goofy story to tell in 30-40 years when they have a reunion...the time they won a natty and ate junk food in the WH.

Anything Trump does beyond now will only magnify and embellish the story. If it turns out Trump is a Russkie agent, that will amplify the story, create some great inside jokes and laughs. It would be interesting to hear those guys take of the whole thing...now and years later.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Sebastabear
He should have served Borscht.
Bear8
Sebastabear said:

He should have served Borscht.
Absolutely classic. I wish I had thought of that. Perfect!!!
going4roses
I don't know how well that would have been received
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
bearister
What do figure the odds calculation is on whether a tRump company got under the table payments for "product placement" by the suppliers of the fast food?

sp4149
Bears2thDoc said:

Hmmmmmmmm?

Cheers!
Go Bears!!!
Remember the fast food of choice in South Carolina/Georgia is Chick Fil A.
Everything on the table is exotic food in the land of Chick Fil A.
If Trump served KFC Clemson would have been insulted.
Upstaging / ignoring Chick Fil A could be seen as an insult to the region.
Another Bear
The whole thing was staged as a distraction from the usual WH business, i.e., chaos, Russkie involvement and impeachment. The food was an intentional choice to get the media buzzing and play to his base.and it did both. Meanwhile we lurch forward towards a constitutional crisis. The biggest tell on this is usually the congratulatory photo op takes months to set up, sometimes half a year or more...and this was set-up in a week?
Peanut Gallery Consultant
concordtom
bearister said:

What do figure the odds calculation is on whether a tRump company got under the table payments for "product placement" by the suppliers of the fast food?

Hey, you stole my theory.
I say it was in the works for months!

No, wait. That gives him too much credit.
It was a 3:30am lightbulb idea.
510 Bear
Here's to Michael Strahan for inviting the team to NYC and offering them a real feast (as in lobster). It'd be even better if Obama did the same.
concordtom
510 Bear said:

Here's to Michael Strahan for inviting the team to NYC and offering them a real feast (as in lobster). It'd be even better if Obama did the same.
Really? That's hilarious!
I'm suddenly a Strahan fan!
And yes, Obama should start hosting these DC visits!!!!!!!!!
blungld
Trump defenders label any criticism as exaggeration or complaining about everything he does. To some extent they are correct, and the overreaction and increased scrutiny is something he has invited and earned. From day one of his campaign, he has lashed out with childish exaggeration against anything that opposes him. He does not tweet thoughtful descriptions of his own ideas or policy, just name calling and mocking others. It's long overdue that what goes around comes around. The bully needs to be bullied.

In addition, the scrutiny is the result of fatigue from ongoing corruption and cover up. He is scrutinized for both national security reasons and to take some kind of stand against the cultural slide into mud he has precipitated.

Everything Trump does is self-serving and that is what Trump defenders will refuse to see. He can't even fill the statesman role of president and invite the college champions to the White House without it being an act of self-serving propaganda. He is using those kids. Feeding them fast food is pure symbol to his base "those Liberals would make you eat their fancy shmancy sushi and vegetables, but see I'm just a good old boy eating fast food." What does that say about what he thinks of his supporters and what it means to be great?

Clemson players didn't volunteer to be symbols, or for him to presuppose they support him and want to be a bit part in the reality show presidency where he pretends to be the in-touch billionaire. He didn't plan this dinner for them and to reward them, it was all about what show could he put on that makes him look good to a certain demographic. It's another small example of the two years of tiresome, dangerous narcissism.

Not to mention the message it sends about nutrition during America's obesity crisis, and that it is so entirely what a person who has no clue thinks young people would want, and (though some of the players might have been amused or just been so happy to be at the White House or gamefully played along), he stole what could have been a really much more special and memorable experience for THEM and made it, like everything, about him.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.