Championship game trivia

1,522 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of the 4 NFL head coaches still standing has one of Los Angeles' most iconic hamburgers delivered to them.

Which is the burger?

Which is the coach?
Another Bear
Andy Reid, Tommy's burger. Supposedly he could eat 5 in H.S. during one sitting.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
okaydo
Another Bear said:

Andy Reid, Tommy's burger. Supposedly he could eat 5 in H.S. during one sitting.
yes, one of those bizarre things. I actually ate Tommy's burgers last month (I usually eat it 3 to 4 times a year) for the Chicago Bears-Rams game. I'll probably never eat it again after that debacle.
Another Bear
I got Tommy's burger a few times until one night in H.S. it didn't mix well and BAM! I remember they use to put in a big chunk of raw onion and I think that did for some reason and some eightball. Oh yeah, bad times.

Any way, I read about Andy Reid eating at Tommy's on SI, email feed. It starts with the famous Kick, Pass and Punt competition that he was in and there's still tape. But it goes on about his exploits in HS and his neighborhood buddies, who he's still in touch with. It mentions eating 5 Tommy burgers (chili?). My nephew went to the same junior high and Marshall HS so I was clued in about Reid.

The Incredible Feats of Young Andy Reid
bearister
At age 13:

Cal88
This is not normal, 70s era growth hormones in his burgers did that.
Anarchistbear
It's too bad Andy Reid will likely blow it as usual. Otherwise Trump could invite him to the White House to eat the whole Clemson buffet.
Another Bear
Cal88 said:

Nah, probably SoCal sunshine and weather. I knew like 3 guys who were as big at age13/14. One guy got a schollie to UOP, another Santa Clara. One guy was 6'5" 260. I don't remember them as athletic, just big. The SoCal weather also produces lovely women.
bearister
If I was that big at 13 not only would I have charged protection money from everyone on the playground but I would have been a juvenile crime kingpin operating a crew.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

I got Tommy's burger a few times until one night in H.S. it didn't mix well and BAM! I remember they use to put in a big chunk of raw onion and I think that did for some reason and some eightball. Oh yeah, bad times.

Any way, I read about Andy Reid eating at Tommy's on SI, email feed. It starts with the famous Kick, Pass and Punt competition that he was in and there's still tape. But it goes on about his exploits in HS and his neighborhood buddies, who he's still in touch with. It mentions eating 5 Tommy burgers (chili?). My nephew went to the same junior high and Marshall HS so I was clued in about Reid.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of that piece myself. (though I've been holding on to that Tommy's tidbit, ready to unleash it on BI, since I read it in the LA Times just before the Rams-Chiefs game).

I knew he went to Marshall High, but didn't know about the junior high. I had to look it up. And I was like "oh that's that junior high that we drive past on our way to Costco in Atwater!" Anyways, it's odd that he grew up near the same place as me.

When I was 14, I used to fool around and do stupid stuff around the Marshall High area (my friends and I once stole the "1" from a gas station price sign.
sp4149
Another Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Nah, probably SoCal sunshine and weather. I knew like 3 guys who were as big at age13/14. One guy got a schollie to UOP, another Santa Clara. One guy was 6'5" 260. I don't remember them as athletic, just big. The SoCal weather also produces lovely women.

When I first moved to SoCal in the summer of 1975 I lived near the beach (Long Beach). And would go down to the beach on weekends and felt like a fast food cook with all the fat frying. One section I thought was a clothing optional beach, but it was just two piece bathing suits with the cloth covered by folds of flesh.
Another Bear
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

Yeah, I'm in the middle of that piece myself. (though I've been holding on to that Tommy's tidbit, ready to unleash it on BI, since I read it in the LA Times just before the Rams-Chiefs game).

I knew he went to Marshall High, but didn't know about the junior high. I had to look it up. And I was like "oh that's that junior high that we drive past on our way to Costco in Atwater!" Anyways, it's odd that he grew up near the same place as me.

When I was 14, I used to fool around and do stupid stuff around the Marshall High area (my friends and I once stole the "1" from a gas station price sign.
Haha, I've been to that Costco with my sister and her kids. The SI story is nice. There's a bit about a JHS memento, says a lot about a neighborhood kid. I definitely relate to that era of leave for the day of playing and goofing off, come home when the street lights went on.
Another Bear
sp4149 said:

Another Bear said:

Cal88 said:

When I first moved to SoCal in the summer of 1975 I lived near the beach (Long Beach). And would go down to the beach on weekends and felt like a fast food cook with all the fat frying. One section I thought was a clothing optional beach, but it was just two piece bathing suits with the cloth covered by folds of flesh.
If we start talking about girls at the beach...might be trouble! Holy sensory overload and puberty Batman!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.