If you listen to music in album format...

3,893 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LudwigsFountain
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...which one have you played more than any other in the last year?

This is mine:

Here is Stephen and the band playing one of the better cuts off the album live on TV circa 1972:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
prospeCt

concordtom
Where can I get one of the Raiders jackets?
I recall them from some of my childhood football cards
AunBear89
My son had "Money" and "Time" on a Spotify playlist. I said "What the hell, boy? You gotta listen to that from start to finish! Didn't I raise you right?"

(Still kinda proud that he listens to the music that his old man likes...)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
dajo9
mark lanegan-- whiskey for the holy ghost-- full albumYouTube
sonofabear51
I still like what Roger had to say 1 1/2 years ago:
Start Slowly and taper off
ducky23
Whenever I start to feel old, I come here and feel much better
bearister
ducky23 said:

It should depress you to realize than in the old days expert musicianship existed.
sonofabear51

And then there are the "Little Sisters of the Allman Brothers":

And at times these guys really get me going:

Enjoy!! or not.
sonofabear51
Here's a couple more from Gogol:

And :

And:
ducky23
bearister said:

ducky23 said:

It should depress you to realize than in the old days expert musicianship existed.

Hey man, just cause I'm not as old as you guys doesn't mean that I don't listen to the same music as you old farts

All my top 10 bands are from the 60's/70's (besides phish and the cure)
bearister
ducky23 said:

bearister said:

ducky23 said:

Hey man, just cause I'm not as old as you guys doesn't mean that I don't listen to the same music as you old farts

You're all right with me. Young people still surprise me occasionally:

ducky23
bearister said:

ducky23 said:

bearister said:

ducky23 said:

I grew up in the 80's and 90's (when they still played actual music) so it was easier for me to bridge into the classics.

But kids nowadays (with the crap that's forced down their throat by the music industry) they don't have a chance
BearsWiin
bearister said:

ducky23 said:

bearister said:

ducky23 said:

Anthem of the Peaceful Army is the first "new" album I've bought in 15 years. Gives me hope for the kids, if they're making and listening to this kind of music again.
bearister
ducky23 said:

bearister said:

ducky23 said:

bearister said:

ducky23 said:

I grew up in the 80's and 90's (when they still played actual music) so it was easier for me to bridge into the classics.

But kids nowadays (with the crap that's forced down their throat by the music industry) they don't have a chance

I think most of us pick our bands for life when we are in high school and college. I did, however, add two bands to my stable from your era: Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Both of their appearances on MTV's Unplugged resulted in iconic recordings. The second disc of Pearl Jam's Greatest Hits collection is A+. Not a bad song among the 17.
Blueblood
AunBear89
My brother blue! We have found the second thing on which we agree. The first being that 'furd sucks. Big time!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Blueblood said:

Agree....and my favorite cover of one of their songs:

B.A. Bearacus
blungld
In the last 5 years there are two bands that when I first heard them I immediately knew that had "it."

I have become obsessed with both and they make me feel like I am not a total old fart: Greta Van Fleet and Vulfpeck.

..and a shout out to Tame Impala. Great bass line, cool video, but a little racy
The Less I Know The Better - Tame Impala

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
bearister

prospeCt

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209195/article/oakland-raiders-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Yogi58
ducky23 said:

Au contraire mon frere.

With all the things kids can search online, they occasionally accidentally get exposed to some of my era's music. My 13 year old likes a lot of current stuff, but she also likes Queen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hall & Oates, Prince, Simon & Garfunkel, Beck (that didn't surprise), the Police, Sting, the Kinks, and Rush, etc. This is no small source of relief to me.

Try making some playlists for your kids when they're of an age to be curious and see if something sticks.
AunBear89
I'm calling CPS immediately! You let your kid listen to Rush? Unless you're Canadian ( where Rush fandom is required by law, I think) that amounts to child abuse.
bearister
I hope Yogi is referring to Jeff Beck.
blungld
Yogi Bear said:

Au contraire mon frere.

With all the things kids can search online, they occasionally accidentally get exposed to some of my era's music. My 13 year old likes a lot of current stuff, but she also likes Queen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hall & Oates, Prince, Simon & Garfunkel, Beck (that didn't surprise), the Police, Sting, the Kinks, and Rush, etc. This is no small source of relief to me.

Try making some playlists for your kids when they're of an age to be curious and see if something sticks.
My daughter is first year in college and has three posters up in her dorm: The Wall, London Calling, and Meat is Murder.

Atta girl.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
okaydo
bearister said:

ducky23 said:

bearister said:

ducky23 said:

bearister said:

ducky23 said:

I think most of us pick our bands for life when we are in high school and college. I did, however, add two bands to my stable from your era: Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Both of their appearances on MTV's Unplugged resulted in iconic recordings. The second disc of Pearl Jam's Greatest Hits collection is A+. Not a bad song among the 17.

A few months ago, I was listening to this song below by Al Martino. Released in 1952, it's the first No. 1 on the UK singles chart. (For those who don't know Martino, he plays the Frank Sinatra-like Johnny Fontaine in The Godfather.).

And I was scrolling through the comments, and noticed this:

My point is that every generation is going to look down on subsequent generation's music.

It's funny. It becomes "old man yell at cloud" territory. It's sort of like AOC. Like you would think that her ascent would be fascinating to somebody like Aaron Sorkin. But he can't stand it. Older people can't stand younger generations. I hope it doesn't happen to me.

But you have to realize that the way young people think of your music isn't the same as when you first encountered it.

A few years ago, I listened to Rolling Stone's 500 best songs of all time. And the music was indeed great, but all these songs have been overexposed and played out that it just didn't feel the same.

With some exceptions younger people aren't going to like old things. While I listen to my obscure sh*tty music from the 90s, I respect the new stuff and don't look down on it.

I am not going to be that commenter above.

bearister
With all do respect I think that is a false equivalence argument. Our parents were simply wrong. The music of the 60's and 70's featured brilliant lyricists (Dylan's lyrics got him a Nobel), amazing instrumentalists (Jeff Beck, Clapton, Page, Bonham, Leon Russell, Alan Price), genius song writers (Lennon and McCartney, etc), and tremendous vocalists. A stiff like Al Martino wouldn't begin to have the vocal range of Freddie Mercury or Axl Rose.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jazz of the 1940's to 1960s, as well as the songs of that era and singers like Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Dean Martin. But our music demonstrably is not weak sauce whereas the majority of the "music" selling today is objectively garbage.

okaydo
okaydo
bearister said:

With all do respect I think that is a false equivalence argument. Our parents were simply wrong. The music of the 60's and 70's featured brilliant lyricists (Dylan's lyrics got him a Nobel), amazing instrumentalists (Jeff Beck, Clapton, Page, Bonham, Leon Russell, Alan Price), genius song writers (Lennon and McCartney, etc), and tremendous vocalists. A stiff like Al Martino wouldn't begin to have the vocal range of Freddie Mercury or Axl Rose.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jazz of the 1940's to 1960s, as well as the songs of that era and singers like Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Dean Martin. But our music demonstrably is not weak sauce whereas the majority of the "music" selling today is objectively garbage.

I think that's my problem. "Objectively." It's like saying Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles or The Big Lebowski are "objectively" funny.

People evolve. Music evolves. Taste evolves.

Young people have different tastes, and just because they don't respect the guitar or the lyrics of the 60s, doesn't their music is objectively crap.

Yogi58
AunBear89 said:

I'm calling CPS immediately! You let your kid listen to Rush? Unless you're Canadian ( where Rush fandom is required by law, I think) that amounts to child abuse.
Let? More like encourage.
bearister
Music has devolved. In the words of Dave Grohl: "Learn how to play a f@cking instrument!"
bearister
okaydo said:

... Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles...The Big Lebowski are "objectively" funny...

Exactly. Now you are getting it. And Modern Family is objectively not funny.
bearister

Original album cover:

sycasey
okaydo said:

I think that's my problem. "Objectively."
When someone starts bringing "objectively" into an argument about artistic quality, I take that as my cue to stop listening to them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.