Any guess at how much Kap just settled with the NFL for?

2,352 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kap and Reid reached a confidential settlement about their being blackballed.

With zero expertise in this area, I offer this guess:

Kap: 20 mil
Reid: 10 mil

Another Bear
While he was a Niner, Kap made $18m/year. So project he's blackballed for 4 years, that's $72m...divide that by half, then round down...$30m for Kap. I guess Reid gets under $10m given he's playing now, or was.

Also likely a clause that if he plays again, there's some kind of reduction, or that was already calculated.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
bearister
I always felt it was a liability case. There had to be some very damning evidence that was going to have some light shined on it. Bravo! F the owners.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
Twitter reporter:
Number NFL team officials are speculating to me is the NFL paid Kaepernick in the $60 to $80 million range.
concordtom
Do I understand that taxes are due on the full amt for Kaep, but he will surely pay lasts a good portion and that lawyers pay no taxes, as kaep must on their portion?
concordtom
Maybe kaep will use the money to buy an AR15 from the NRA and open fire on trump.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

While he was a Niner, Kap made $18m/year. So project he's blackballed for 4 years, that's $72m...divide that by half, then round down...$30m for Kap. I guess Reid gets under $10m given he's playing now, or was.

Also likely a clause that if he plays again, there's some kind of reduction, or that was already calculated.

So Reid loses money because he just signed a three-year extension with the Panthrs?!?

My guess is that it was not an amount due to lost pay. I think it would've been a ridiculous amount to get them to settle.
Another Bear
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

So Reid loses money because he just signed a three-year extension with the Panthrs?!?

My guess is that it was not an amount due to lost pay. I think it would've been a ridiculous amount to get them to settle.
Frankly yes, Reid doesn't get paid as much because he's still playing. Of course I have no idea who got paid what but I'd guess it was tied to previous salary. I also imagine being completely black balled like Kap cost the NFL more compared to Reid. Also Kap had a higher $$ contract.

After reading this thread I'm inclined to agree Kap got paid more. $80m doesn't seem unreasonable when he had a $126m contract for 7 years. He was paid $40m of that, so what's left over is about $80m. I read this morning that Kap will likely never play in the NFL again as part of the settlement. If this is the case, I'd guess Kap got more since he can't come back.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

Frankly yes, Reid doesn't get paid as much because he's still playing. Of course I have no idea who got paid what but I'd guess it was tied to previous salary. I also imagine being completely black balled like Kap cost the NFL more compared to Reid. Also Kap had a higher $$ contract.

After reading this thread I'm inclined to agree Kap got paid more. $80m doesn't seem unreasonable when he had a $126m contract for 7 years. He was paid $40m of that, so what's left over is about $80m. I read this morning that Kap will likely never play in the NFL again as part of the settlement. If this is the case, I'd guess Kap got more since he can't come back.

I haven't seen this interview...

Another Bear
Frankly the NFL should welcome Kap playing, even encourage it because it reverses some of the self-inflicted damage and stupidity. Also I'd love to see Kap make a run at it, with something to prove. And while I dislike the NE Pats as a franchise, I think it would be great to see him play there for a few reasons. One, it would piss off much of their fan base and I'd like to see the press tangle with Belichick about Kap. It's funny, people forget Kap led the niners to two NFC championships.
B.A. Bearacus
concordtom said:

Twitter reporter:
Number NFL team officials are speculating to me is the NFL paid Kaepernick in the $60 to $80 million range.
sycasey
Another Bear said:

It's funny, people forget Kap led the niners to two NFC championships.
And also within 5 yards (and maybe a missed PI on Crabtree) of WINNING the Super Bowl.

There was this weird argument in certain corners that Kap's lack of a contract was just due to his declining play and not due to being blackballed for his politics. That always seemed ridiculous to me; all else being equal, I think any quarterback who had two strong postseason runs like Kaepernick did was virtually certain to get several extra chances in the NFL, no matter how bad he looked as he aged. Thankfully it seems like the court did not fall for any of the nonsense.
OBear073akaSMFan
concordtom said:

Maybe kaep will use the money to buy an AR15 from the NRA and open fire on trump.
don't tease me!
Yogi58
concordtom said:

If he's as accurate with a gun as he is with a football, he'll likely hit Pence instead.
Bobodeluxe
Yogi Bear said:

concordtom said:

If he's as accurate with a gun as he is with a football, he'll likely hit Pence instead.
That would be a tragedy.
Unit2Sucks
It's a shame that the information wasn't made public as a matter of public policy. Given that the league still enjoys some form of antitrust exemption, I think it's fair to require the league to be accountable in ways that other private businesses may not.

Of course, I totally appreciate Kaep and Reid agreeing to more $$ in exchange for silence, but like I said, it's just a shame that the league can get away with shenanigans like this. I hope both those guys are able to make an impact on the league which would remind everyone that they were blackballed and rub the league's nose in it.
concordtom
OBear073akaSMFan said:

concordtom said:

don't tease me!
I was just thinking, maybe there's a secret service officer who is secretly terminal with cancer. Maybe he feels that enough is enough and someone needs to do something. Maybe he figures that he is the one who will make the sacrifice to rid our nation of this seemingly unending and undefeatable scourge.
Clock clock clock clock.
Drop weapon and lay on the ground spread eagle.
Leave a note at home explaining his rationale if he doesn't make it out of there.

It would not be a far fetched scenario.
Lee Harvey? Why.
This? Would be understandable.
Don't be an AH to everyone you see, speak to, come into contact with.
Don't lie and get the nation in a frenzy.
Just go away.

I would be so happy if he had a sudden heart attack. Sadly, I think he has Introduced new political tactics to our union, and things will never be the same. Decorum, decency, honesty, integrity.... I cannot see the GOP going back to having manners. We are forever soiled.
The sooner he goes, the better. Hopefully of natural causes.

Maybe Kaepernick will be re-signed to an NFL team, will win a Super Bowl next year, and then choke him to death at his visit to the White House.
Anyone? Anyone?

Disclaimer: I am not advocating violence. I disavow violence. I am merely sharing my daydream thoughts. It is not illegal to say you'll be happy when someone dies, is it?
concordtom
Wow, just hearing news of a coastguardman christopher Paul hassen say he was planning a terror attack to kill democrats and journalists, including CNN anchors.

Jeez. Dude was stockpiling weapons. There really ARE crazy people out there.

See now, I own no guns, and have never even punched anyone out of anger (well, except my brother, but that was when we were kids and doesn't count).
B.A. Bearacus
They received less than 10 mil combined from the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26323226/report-kaepernick-grievance-nets-10m
sycasey
It's like an NFL player's contract: sounds like a lot of money at first, then in the end they don't actually get that much.
Another Bear
Seriously, why doesn't the NFLPA figure out the guarantee money stuff. Baseball and basketball pros both get it and their careers don't deal with the same injuries or risks.

When Murray decided to go with FB, I though, 8 year career...decreased pay over time, compared to a 11-13 year career in baseball, guaranteed money and better FA.
offshorebear
Another Bear said:

Seriously, why doesn't the NFLPA figure out the guarantee money stuff. Baseball and basketball pros both get it and their careers don't deal with the same injuries or risks.

When Murray decided to go with FB, I though, 8 year career...decreased pay over time, compared to a 11-13 year career in baseball, guaranteed money and better FA.

For Murray specifically, far from guarantee money in NFL vs far from guarantee career in MLB. If he flames out in the NFL in 2-3 years(or less even) he could jump ship and try at baseball. The other way wouldn't happen.
concordtom
B.A. Bearacus said:

They received less than 10 mil combined from the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26323226/report-kaepernick-grievance-nets-10m
Upon seeing the headline story of a leak that it was *only* $10M, I thought: it's in the interest of the NFL to have that number be as low as possible. They don't want to come off like losers, nor do they want to inspire others to push them in a similar vain.

So, I'm not trusting the whisper number.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.