OT: Another Black Eye for Cal. Student Conservative Attacked

17,235 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
santacruzbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MiZery
So why do they not show the whole video
bearister
Two takeaways:
1. Never have heated words with someone close enough to sucker punch you; and
2. Dude has a weak punch.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ColoradoBear
For F's sake, the 'survivor' of the attack?
Boot
Short right hand. Frazier's Not Down!
Boot
Meanwhile Fox is going crazy but a crazy white nationalist in the coast guard is .......
Goobear
Well if roles were reversed would it not be all over?
okaydo
At least he wasn't wearing a red hat. Intolerant Cal students hate people who wear red. They need to learn tolerance.
NVBear78
Looks like assault.
wifeisafurd
We don't have the whole film... don't rush to judgement quite yet (this from one of the more conservative posters on OT).
CRBear
Not sure if it's a black eye for Cal but it sure is for the guy who got punched.
bearister
Alameda County DA will probably charge that as misdemeanor assault and battery if they ID perp.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
golden sloth
santacruzbear said:

The premise is dumb! Cal has over 30,000 undergraduates, and 1 acts like an ass so we should condemn the entire University and the other 29,999 students. No, that is dumb, it is one dude acting like an idiot (and we should wait to judge as I don't typically trust cropped videos like this, particularly when the content's author is obviously shaping the conversation).

There is no silencing of Conservative speech on campus, there is no Liberal mob out to hurt Conservatives, these are just narratives Conservatives created to manufacture fear from the stupid and ill-informed to make them feel victimized and outraged.
Yogi58
santacruzbear said:

He was probably planning on wearing a bag on his head to the basketball game tonight.
LunchTime
wifeisafurd said:

We don't have the whole film... don't rush to judgement quite yet (this from one of the more conservative posters on OT).

One should not have to be liberal or conservative to avoid falling for "outrage" media. Especially if it is clear who is supposed to be outraged and who is supposed to excuse it.

sycasey
Goobear said:

It is all over the news.
71Bear
LunchTime said:

wifeisafurd said:

One should not have to be liberal or conservative to avoid falling for "outrage" media. Especially if it is clear who is supposed to be outraged and who is supposed to excuse it.

A couple of kids get into a disagreement and it makes the "news". Yikes. I'm thankful social media didn't exist during my days at Berkeley. Heck, someday these guys will get together over a beer and laugh about all the stupid things they did in their college days. It isn't about politics. It's about growing up......
bearlyamazing
sycasey said:

Goobear said:

It is all over the news.
Where? CNN has 90 stories on their site and 20 videos and none of them are of this story. MSNBC has 36 and none of them are this incident. They'd be the lead story if the student punched were a Dem and the perpetrator a guy in a MAGA hat.

Let's be real here.

And a massive LOL to 71bear's, "A couple of kids get into a disagreement" nonsense. In what world? Two punches to the face will get you jail time in most situations, especially violently delivered with lots of witnesses.
NVBear78
bearlyamazing said:

sycasey said:

Goobear said:

It is all over the news.
Where? CNN has 90 stories on their site and 20 videos and none of them are of this story. MSNBC has 36 and none of them are this incident. They'd be the lead story if the student punched were a Dem and the perpetrator a guy in a MAGA hat.

Let's be real here.

And a massive LOL to 71bear's, "A couple of kids get into a disagreement" nonsense. In what world? Two punches to the face will get you jail time in most situations, especially violently delivered with lots of witnesses.
And threatened to shoot him as well. Sorry but if the roles were reversed this would be on CNN not Bearinsider.
sycasey
bearlyamazing said:

sycasey said:

Goobear said:

It is all over the news.

Let's be real here.

Not sure, I haven't looked everywhere. I know when I came home and the local news was on (ABC 7), it was one of the lead stories. It certainly came to this board quickly enough. It's not as though it isn't being reported.

If you're wondering why it's not national news on the level of Jussie Smollett, it's probably because he was an actor on a popular network show and this is one attack on an unknown college student. The levels of fame are not comparable. Maybe give it more than six hours to percolate through the news cycle though.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

wifeisafurd said:

A couple of kids get into a disagreement and it makes the "news". Yikes. I'm thankful social media didn't exist during my days at Berkeley. Heck, someday these guys will get together over a beer and laugh about all the stupid things they did in their college days. It isn't about politics. It's about growing up......
It was in our day. Yup, this was called a tussle then. Now it is about college codes of conduct. If the kid throwing the punch wasn't physically attacked first or in fear, he may be facing some serious sanctions if he is a student or employee. Also in these days of lawsuits, there is the proverbial rights violation in federal court. I'm sure deep pocket Cal will get sued somehow.
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

sycasey said:

Goobear said:

It is all over the news.

Let's be real here.

Not sure, I haven't looked everywhere. I know when I came home and the local news was on (ABC 7), it was one of the lead stories. It certainly came to this board quickly enough. It's not as though it isn't being reported.

If you're wondering why it's not national news on the level of Jussie Smollett, it's probably because he was an actor on a popular network show and this is one attack on an unknown college student. The levels of fame are not comparable. Maybe give it more than six hours to percolate through the news cycle though.
It is on google news and other internet news sites. I don't think it will have legs, though the administration and police probably will go after the kid who threw the punches because that is what they do these days. '71 is right, in the old days this would be considered a scrap between two college kids and forgotten.
LunchTime
golden sloth said:

santacruzbear said:

The premise is dumb! Cal has over 30,000 undergraduates, and 1 acts like an ass so we should condemn the entire University and the other 29,999 students. No, that is dumb, it is one dude acting like an idiot (and we should wait to judge as I don't typically trust cropped videos like this, particularly when the content's author is obviously shaping the conversation).

There is no silencing of Conservative speech on campus, there is no Liberal mob out to hurt Conservatives, these are just narratives Conservatives created to manufacture fear from the stupid and ill-informed to make them feel victimized and outraged.

Who upvoted this nonsense?

I mean, the first paragraph, sure. But the second is intellectually dishonest or completely ignorant. Cal JUST settled on with campus conservative groups relating to bias, and there was a LITERAL liberal mob on campus destroying property in the name of silencing speach just over a year ago.

okaydo
The "liberal media" gave more coverage to the "liberal embarrassing" Jussie Smollett story than to the "conservative embarrassing" Coast Guard story. Even though the Coast Guard was planning to kill prominent Democratic leaders.

Even CNN was more interested in the Jussie than the Coast Guard story.

Oh, and CNN just hired a recent Trump administration official and GOP operative, with no journalism experience, to serve as a political editor, overseeing 2020 campaign coverage ... of Trump. (This is different than hiring a former Trump official as a pundit. This is highly unusual.)

goldenchild
Something really needs to be done about all of this white-on-White crime!

Where are the prominent white leaders addressing the problems within their communities?
CRBear
I just hope the survivor can find the courage to come back to campus. Maybe with years of therapy and a large cash settlement from the university he'll be able to put his life back together. Is there a gofundme link I can contribute to? If not, I'll just send thoughts and prayers.

College guy punches other college guy. That requires national news coverage because we want to go back to when America was great and everyone wasn't such a snowflake. We need around the clock team coverage. When America was great they would find the aggressor and suspend him. It might make the local police blotter at most.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

sycasey said:

Goobear said:

It is all over the news.

Let's be real here.

It is on google news and other internet news sites. I don't think it will have legs, though the administration and police probably will go after the kid who threw the punches because that is what they do these days. '71 is right, in the old days this would be considered a scrap between two college kids and forgotten.
Yep. I saw a lot of "scraps" in my time on campus and none of them resulted in legal action. It was (and still is) nothing more than kids getting riled up and not being mature enough to find a more appropriate outlet for expressing themselves. Nothing to see here, move on......

Darn, I remember flipping over a desk with a kid sitting in it in high school (in those days, the desk and chair were a single unit). It resulted in a "conversation" with the teacher and an apology to the flippee...

We later had a good laugh about it.

golden sloth
LunchTime said:

golden sloth said:

santacruzbear said:

I mean, the first paragraph, sure. But the second is intellectually dishonest or completely ignorant. Cal JUST settled on with campus conservative groups relating to bias, and there was a LITERAL liberal mob on campus destroying property in the name of silencing speach just over a year ago.

1. Sometimes settling is cheaper than going to court and winning, and Cal (as with all institutions) has to look at the bottom when they make these decisions.
2. That mob had nothing to do with the University and was not Cal students, so tying it to the University or Student's attempt limit conservative speech is completely dumb. Yes, the campus police should have been better prepared to stop it, but the main point is they didn't organize it (Also, that was 2 years ago, not last year)
3. Conclusions from studying the issue below:
Quote:

There are well over 4,000 colleges and universities in the United States. And multiple attempts to catalog free speech incidents on campus, from different sources, keep coming up with numbers in the dozens. And of those dozens, a fairly large percentage of the targets are liberals, and a fairly large percentage of the others were conservative speakers who seem to have come to campus with the intent of provoking students.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/17644180/political-correctness-free-speech-liberal-data-georgetown

The Campus Free Speech Crisis is not real, just like vaccines giving kids autism, Sandy Hook being an inside job, and climate change not being a thing.
LunchTime
golden sloth said:

LunchTime said:

golden sloth said:

santacruzbear said:

1. Sometimes settling is cheaper than going to court and winning, and Cal (as with all institutions) has to look at the bottom when they make these decisions.
2. That mob had nothing to do with the University and was not Cal students, so tying it to the University or Student's attempt limit conservative speech is completely dumb. Yes, the campus police should have been better prepared to stop it, but the main point is they didn't organize it (Also, that was 2 years ago, not last year)
3. Conclusions from studying the issue below:
Quote:

There are well over 4,000 colleges and universities in the United States. And multiple attempts to catalog free speech incidents on campus, from different sources, keep coming up with numbers in the dozens. And of those dozens, a fairly large percentage of the targets are liberals, and a fairly large percentage of the others were conservative speakers who seem to have come to campus with the intent of provoking students.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/17644180/political-correctness-free-speech-liberal-data-georgetown

The Campus Free Speech Crisis is not real, just like vaccines giving kids autism, Sandy Hook being an inside job, and climate change not being a thing.

I see you're leaning heavily on moving the goalposts. Violence on campus by a literal mob of liberals for the purpose of shutting down a conservative speaker is exactly what you said was not happening.

August 30th 2017 18 months is not 2 years. It is just over a year. A year and a half. In this case it was the 2017-2018 school year. We are now in the 2018-2019 school year. That is why I equate it to just over a year ago.

I didn't say anything about a campus free speech crisis. I am pointing out that a specific thing you said, probably off handedly, not thinking it through, is factually wrong. To dismiss a group that came onto your campus with the intent that group did and destroy campus property and prevent, through violence, a speaker on the campus (even a ****** like Milo) as "well, they weren't students" is obscene. Especially with the intent to intimidate and silence people.

It very literally happened last school year. When the seniors of today we're juniors, a mob of thug "liberals" destroyed campus property to intimidate and silence people they didn't like. That is factual.

If you want to use hyperbole, don't use hyperbole that actually DID factually and literally happen. That's all.

And for cripes sake, don't defend your position with logical fallacies.
Fyght4Cal
The puncher called the punchee a "racist mother****er". I wonder what that was about. Also, the punchee's shirt resembled a Bernie tee.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
bearlyamazing
Cause he called the puncher (a white guy) the N word?

All it takes to be called a racist is being a Trump supporter.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

And other conservative speakers have come to Berkeley since that incident and there was no further violence, so the liberal "mob" silencing conservative speech on campus appears to have been a one-time thing.
LunchTime
Fyght4Cal said:

The puncher called the punchee a "racist mother****er". I wonder what that was about. Also, the punchee's shirt resembled a Bernie tee.
it was his signs. "This is maga country" and "fake hate crimes hurt real victims."

Daily Cal and a couple more conservative papers have more details and full video of the two cameras. is the start of the confrontation from the phone they are fighting over.

The guy punching also says he will shoot the guy he is punching, something I wouldn't take seriously as an outsider, but on campus is typically taken seriously.

Probably this guy gets off with an expulsion and reinstatement after some make good, and community service. As it should be.
tequila4kapp
CRBear said:

I just hope the survivor can find the courage to come back to campus. Maybe with years of therapy and a large cash settlement from the university he'll be able to put his life back together. Is there a gofundme link I can contribute to? If not, I'll just send thoughts and prayers.

College guy punches other college guy. That requires national news coverage because we want to go back to when America was great and everyone wasn't such a snowflake. We need around the clock team coverage. When America was great they would find the aggressor and suspend him. It might make the local police blotter at most.
This is ridiculously simplistic. It isn't just that one college student hit another, it's why. Like if a KKK person was on campus and assaulted an African American it wouldn't just be a story of assault. Duh.
tequila4kapp

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.