R.I.P. Dick Dale

1,520 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The dude could really shred it.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear

Always liked this one from Richard Monsour, aka Dick Dale, son of Lebanon.

Peanut Gallery Consultant
B.A. Bearacus
Didn't realize he was Lebanese American and influenced by the Arab music he listened to in his youth. Very cool.

bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

Didn't realize he was Lebanese American and influenced by the Arab music he listened to in his youth. Very cool.

...and he was a fashion sage, Rockin' Mickey Cohen's fancy sport coat more than 50 years ago!

Another Bear
I always liked how Dick Dale incorporated his personal background in his art, and took a cultural classic in a new and cool direction. C.Wright Mills wrote about understanding the intersection of the historical and biographical. He wrote it could apply to anything, everything and damn if he wasn't right about Dick Dale. Few other people could have done that and created a new genre.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
bearister
Another Bear said:

I always liked how Dick Dale incorporated his personal background in his art, and took a cultural classic in a new and cool direction. C.Wright Mills wrote about understanding the intersection of the historical and biographical. He wrote it could apply to anything, everything and damn if he wasn't right about Dick Dale. Few other people could have done that and created a new genre.

Like putting Punk and Traditional Irish in the blender to see what you come up with.

okaydo
I had no idea he was a close friend of Leo Fender's.

(Full disclosure: I own a lot of Fender guitars. When I say a lot, I mean a freakin' lot.)
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo said:

(Full disclosure: I own a lot of Fender guitars. When I say a lot, I mean a freakin' lot.)

How many?
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

okaydo said:

How many?

B.A. Bearacus
okaydo said:

Wow. You're in the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of Fender ownership. Anything in particular that set you on this path other than, initially, to get chicks? Also, is there a decent chance that you play guitar better than anyone on BI?
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

okaydo said:

Wow. You're in the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of Fender ownership. Anything in particular that set you on this path other than, initially, to get chicks? Also, is there a decent chance that you play guitar better than anyone on BI?

1. Most of my Fenders are Made in Mexico and a couple are Made in Japan. I don't have any of those historic Fenders. I've never spent more than $1,000, though a couple are worth a lot of money. (I have this guitar, for instance. And this. And this. And this. ) I just like the beauty of Fender guitars.

2. I only have 3 cases. The rest are in gig bags in a closet. They don't actually take up that much space. I usually have about 6 hanging up in my home, and on rotation.

3. I'm okay at guitar. It's just a hobby. Though me and a group of friends tried to do the band thing at my junior high, whose alumni included Phil Spector and Slash. (Slash also went to my high school and was arrested at age 12 at my elementary school, per his memoir. So I may have been infected by Slash radiation.)
B.A. Bearacus
Good stuff, Okaydo. I'm surprised that in all these years I can't recall you ever referencing this very significant hobby. I would have thought it more likely that you had 17 tvs.
bearister
okaydo said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

okaydo said:

How many?

B.A. Bearacus
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.