Real ID -no proof of birth

618 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by concordtom
sp4149
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My other turned 96 last week and her driver license expired.
She shouldn't be driving as she loses track where she is going or
where she is. I had decided she just needed an ID so we had
an appointment today at the local DMV.

The question was get the Senior ID (for free) or apply for a Real ID
and be able to travel by air next year?

We ended up getting her the Senior ID because she didn't have
a valid birth certificate. She was born on a ranch in Contra Costa,
her baptismal certificate has the wrong names for her parents.
Forty five years ago she got a Certification Of Birth Registration issued
by the State of California - Department of Health.

We were told today that it was not a valid proof of birth.
That we have to travel to Contra Costa to obtain a birth
certificate issue by that county. After that we have to
travel back to Michigan to get a certified copy of a WWI
marriage certificate, and then to Santa Barbara to get
yet another certified marriage license.

I'm sort of amazed the real-ID requirements haven't been
challenged on sexual discrimination grounds, only women have to comply
with most requirements. Whether I am married, divorced, or widowed
doesn't matter when I apply for a Real-ID, I don't need certified copies of
any of those events. I may have to go to Contra Costa for a certified copy
of my birth certificate; I have lived 70 years with invalid copies, no longer legal.

It appears that while I can't get a Real-ID drivers license, I can still get my passport
reissued. Security is now the biggest creature in the swamp...
concordtom
Sounds like you are an illegal alien.
We need to build that wall, and then throw you and your mother over it to the other side! And stay out!

Separately: Let's hear it for cococounty ranches of 100 years ago! My grandmother was raised on one, too.
calbearinamaze
sp4149 said:

My other turned 96 last week and her driver license expired.
She shouldn't be driving as she loses track where she is going or
where she is. I had decided she just needed an ID so we had
an appointment today at the local DMV.

The question was get the Senior ID (for free) or apply for a Real ID
and be able to travel by air next year?

We ended up getting her the Senior ID because she didn't have
a valid birth certificate. She was born on a ranch in Contra Costa,
her baptismal certificate has the wrong names for her parents.
Forty five years ago she got a Certification Of Birth Registration issued
by the State of California - Department of Health.

We were told today that it was not a valid proof of birth.
That we have to travel to Contra Costa to obtain a birth
certificate issue by that county. After that we have to
travel back to Michigan to get a certified copy of a WWI
marriage certificate, and then to Santa Barbara to get
yet another certified marriage license.

I'm sort of amazed the real-ID requirements haven't been
challenged on sexual discrimination grounds, only women have to comply
with most requirements. Whether I am married, divorced, or widowed
doesn't matter when I apply for a Real-ID, I don't need certified copies of
any of those events. I may have to go to Contra Costa for a certified copy
of my birth certificate; I have lived 70 years with invalid copies, no longer legal.

It appears that while I can't get a Real-ID drivers license, I can still get my passport
reissued. Security is now the biggest creature in the swamp...
For at least one of documents (Birth Certificate) you don't have to travel. An absolutely
valid BC can be ordered online.

Please see: https://www.ccclerkrec.us/clerk/clerk/birth-death/
Try
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
calbearinamaze
concordtom said:

Sounds like you are an illegal alien.
We need to build that wall, and then throw you and your mother over it to the other side! And stay out!

Separately: Let's hear it for cococounty ranches of 100 years ago! My grandmother was raised on one, too.
FWIW: sp4149 has been posting for over 9 years.

Here is a post from June 9, 2018

sp4149
In reply to Another Bear 10:27a, 6/9/18

Quote:

Another Bear said:
It's interesting to see Trump in his diplomatic warm up at the G6.
A) He's pushing for Russia's readmission to make it the G7 again, like Putin's puppet.
B) He ranted and raved against allies, showed up late and left early.
C) He pissed off many nations, including host Canada the U.S.'s largest trade partner.
D) Key US trade partners have turned on the U.S.; Canada, France and China are fighting back.

So this is how allies are treated by Trump. It will be interesting to see how the Korea summit goes, how he treats a formal, foreign enemy and how Trump will do Putin's bidding.

I wonder how all those sit on their hands GOP are taking Trump's "diplomatic" performance and policy. Up until now the market has done well, perhaps seeing a window of opportunity. Now however people like the Koch brothers have turned on Trump because tariffs hurt their bottom line. Before I think they were happy with how Trump opened things up. Now I imagine they're not happy. Too bad.

Any way, if this is how allies are treated, one has to ask WHO IS TRUMP WORKING FOR HERE? Sure seems like Russia and not the United States.

Maybe I just watch FAUX News too much and may have missed CNN or MSNBC commenting on what the G7 (Canada, Britain, the US, France, Germany, Italy and Japan, ex8) was supposed to represent; the meeting of the largest economies in the world. I know truth, facts, or the real world clutter little of the Trump brain; it's just that Russia is not one of the ten largest worldwide economies (#11). Admittedly Canada (#10) shouldn't be there either, but is more deserving than Russia. And Italy is #9; which means that only FIVE of the G7 members actually are top SEVEN economies.

What that means is that there are TWO top 7 economies that deserve to be in the G7 right now, and a third is #8 in the world; AND ALL THREE Deserve to be in the G8 more than Russia. Again facts never bother the Grump; but this also means that The Grump by promoting Russia is also telling THREE of world's top 8 industrial economies that they don't matter. FWIW those three are #2 China, #6 India, and #8 Brasil. The G7 should expand to the G10, and Russia still wouldn't be a member.

The Grump wouldn't understand, too many facts...

concordtom
My post was all about jest.
calbearinamaze
concordtom said:

Knowing you, I hoped that was the case.

"We need to build that wall, and then throw you and your mother over it to the other side! And stay out!"

Maybe the image of kids being kept on cages at the border dimmed by enthusiasm.
sp4149
concordtom said:

Actually, I tease my America First Republican mother about being illegal. Her parents immigrated from the Azores just like Devin Nunes' family, only they didn't change from Portuguese to Hispanic rendering of their surname. Unlike the Nunes they became citizens immediately, they didn't wait forty years to avoid the draft. My uncle was serving in the Coast Guard at the start of WWII, until the end. Some viewed serving in the Coast Guard as avoiding WWII, but he was already serving at the time of Pearl Harbor.

But the truth is under the GOP eugenics legislation of the 20s. they wouldn't have been allowed in the country.
My grandparents were just fortunate to immigrate before then. But now Trump has changed the rules, attacking lifetime residents who may want to travel by air with requirements decades after the events and invalidating their status. All my grandparents immigration documents were stolen/destroyed in a home burglary over 45 years ago. The immigration records from Boston and New York when they passed thru Ellis Island, etc... are missing. The only public records are census forms after WWI and my grandfather's draft cards for WWI and WWII.

I do have a hospital birth certificate (copy, not certified). My father was the only one born in a hospital in his family. Both hospitals no longer exist. Fortunately I don't need to document any name changes.
concordtom
My wife's great grandparent came from Azores to Fall River MA around turn of the century.
We've discussed before.

That totally sucks about a home theft taking that stuff.
I spend considerable time doing genealogy research and have 4000 people in my tree. It hurts my heart to hear that so much valuable historical docs have gone missing! And not the least of which is for your current problem.

If you want, you could PM me and I could put my sleuthing skills to work for you.
Ship manifest?
Newspapers?
Censuses? State/federal
Old phone book directories?

The latest cool thing I look for is old yearbook photos. It's only a 1 in 20 hit chance, but totally fun to find.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.