San Francisco's 3rd Iconic Bridge.

2,485 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sp4149
sp4149
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The recent OT bridge discussion on Growls, got me to thinking.
I think most would agree that the Golden Gate bridge and the Bay Bridge are
two iconic bridges of San Francisco, when you see a photo of each you think -
San Francisco.

Which other bridge in San Francisco is number 3? For the purpose of this
exercise, do not consider elevated freeways as bridges. The selection is not limited
to roadway bridges. For example in Seattle the Salmon Bay Railroad Bridge is over
a hundred years old, guarding the Ballard Locks. It's removal is planned for the future,
but then Seattle has a history of bridges removing themselves. It is worth a visit when In Seattle.

So what San Francisco landmark bridge is #3 ?

My choice is seen by millions each year so it is not hidden.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Maybe this one?

B.A. Bearacus
The Carol Doda Span?

Eastern Oregon Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

The Carol Doda Span?

That's Sophia Loren looking rather unhappy at being upstaged by Jayne Mansfield.
B.A. Bearacus
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

That's Sophia Loren looking rather unhappy at being upstaged by Jayne Mansfield.
Oof! Thanks for the correction. In less hurried times I knew this, but I was in too much of a rush to have the facts fit my narrative.

concordtom
Lefty O'Doul bridge because
- It is actually IN San Francisco, unlike other likely considerations,
- near the giants ballpark, giving it renewed limelight,
- is the gateway to the new Mission Bay Area, with the warriors and other new construction set to transform the city
- is a draw bridge that can fold up, which is kinda cool in itself

The bridge opened on May 12, 1933, at a ceremony attended by mayor Angelo Joseph Rossi, having been designed by Joseph Strauss, chief engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge. At the time, it carried pedestrians, automobiles, streetcars, and trains. The bridge was renamed in 1980 in honor of the famous baseball player Lefty O'Doul. It was retrofitted in 1999, prior to the opening of the adjacent ballpark, originally named Pacific Bell Park.

The bridge is currently undergoing a $25 million renovation, according to the San Francisco Department of Public Works. The repairs are needed "to sustain the structure's integrity and address corrosion issues", and the project will continue into early 2020.

The bridge was seen in a chase sequence in the 1985 James Bond film A View to a Kill.
The bridge was also a key story point in the 1973 Clint Eastwood movies Magnum Force (during the climax involving a car chase), and in The Enforcer in 1976.
The bridge was also seen in the 2015 movie San Andreasstarring Dwayne Johnson and Alexandra Daddario.
The bridge will also appear in the yet to be released, 2020 movie musical Emily or Oscar, directed by Chris M. Allport.

concordtom

Born: March 4, 1897
San Francisco, California
Died: December 7, 1969 (aged 72)
San Francisco, California

Career statistics
Batting average
Home runs
Runs batted in

Teams
Career highlights and awards

Member of the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame
Induction

O'Doul then returned to the Pacific Coast League as manager of the San Francisco Seals from 1935 to 1951, later managing several other teams in the circuit and becoming the most successful manager in PCL history. One of his outstanding accomplishments while managing the Seals was developing the young Joe DiMaggio, who went on to a Hall of Fame career with the New York Yankees. O'Doul refused to take credit for DiMaggio's success, saying "I was just smart enough to leave him alone."

O'Doul was instrumental in spreading baseball's popularity in Japan, serving as the sport's goodwill ambassador before and after World War II. The Tokyo Giants, sometimes considered "Japan's Baseball Team", were named by him in 1935 in honor of his longtime association with the New York Giants; the logo and uniform of the Giants in Japan strongly resemble their North American counterparts.

O'Doul was inducted into the San Francisco Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame in 1981 and the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002. He has the highest career batting average of any player eligible for the National Baseball Hall of Fame who is not enshrined. His relatively short career as a full-time batter and the fact that his statistics were accumulated during a period of historically high offensive production in the major leagues are factors militating against his selection to the Hall of Fame.

O'Doul's fame and popularity live on in his hometown of San Francisco and are enhanced by the fact that his former team now thrives as the San Francisco Giants. The popular hofbrau-style restaurant and bar he founded in 1958 operated for years after his death as Lefty O'Doul's Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge on Geary Boulevard, still serving his original recipe for Bloody Mary (although one news account says it was modified in the 1960s by O'Doul's bartender Chuck Davis). However, a landlord-tenant dispute caused it to close its doors in early 2017. In November of 2018, the restaurant reopened in a new location at Fisherman's Wharf.
A bridge over McCovey Cove, near the Giants' home field of Oracle Park, is named the Lefty O'Doul Bridge in his honor. Accordingly, the ballpark plaza and gate entrance adjacent to the bridge are also named after O'Doul.

sp4149
concordtom said:

Lefty O'Doul bridge because
- It is actually IN San Francisco, unlike other likely considerations,
- near the giants ballpark, giving it renewed limelight,
- is the gateway to the new Mission Bay Area, with the warriors and other new construction set to transform the city
- is a draw bridge that can fold up, which is kinda cool in itself

The bridge opened on May 12, 1933, at a ceremony attended by mayor Angelo Joseph Rossi, having been designed by Joseph Strauss, chief engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge. At the time, it carried pedestrians, automobiles, streetcars, and trains. The bridge was renamed in 1980 in honor of the famous baseball player Lefty O'Doul. It was retrofitted in 1999, prior to the opening of the adjacent ballpark, originally named Pacific Bell Park.

The bridge is currently undergoing a $25 million renovation, according to the San Francisco Department of Public Works. The repairs are needed "to sustain the structure's integrity and address corrosion issues", and the project will continue into early 2020.

The bridge was seen in a chase sequence in the 1985 James Bond film A View to a Kill.
The bridge was also a key story point in the 1973 Clint Eastwood movies Magnum Force (during the climax involving a car chase), and in The Enforcer in 1976.
The bridge was also seen in the 2015 movie San Andreasstarring Dwayne Johnson and Alexandra Daddario.
The bridge will also appear in the yet to be released, 2020 movie musical Emily or Oscar, directed by Chris M. Allport.

https://sfport.com/third-street-bridge-closure-notice

Having lived in SF for 45 years, this is the only bridge that readily came to mind, even though I daily passed under the bridge over Brotherhood near Lake Merced. There is some impressive bridge work in the Presidio approach to the Golden Gate Bridge, but real stand alone bridges in the City; I couldn't think of any others.
Somewhere in the family archives is a Lefty autographed menu from O'Douls, probably next to Jackie Jensen's autograph of a Bow and Bell menu.
okaydo
sp4149 said:

San Francisco.

exercise, do not consider elevated freeways as bridges. The selection is not limited
to roadway bridges. For example in Seattle the Salmon Bay Railroad Bridge is over
a hundred years old, guarding the Ballard Locks. It's removal is planned for the future,
but then Seattle has a history of bridges removing themselves. It is worth a visit when In Seattle.

"OT bridge discussion"?!?!!?
okaydo
sp4149 said:

San Francisco.

The No. 3 most famous bridge is, obviously, the Sandra Bullock Bridge that connects Oakland and Alameda via Park Street.

Opened in 1935 with the name "Park Street Bridge," the Sandra Bullock Bridge is named after Oscar-winning actress Sandra Bullock, who filmed an iconic scene on the bridge for her 1995 box office smash movie The Net.

Another Bear
sp4149
Another Bear said:

Suggest it to Gas Monkey for his McQueen Mustang
Cal88
Slim pickings in the Bay Area, but statewide, the choice for 3rd most iconic bridge is pretty clear:

sp4149
I wonder how many drivers on I-5 know this is a RAILROAD Bridge? A very tall bridge.
The highest combination road and rail bridge in the world, the Pit River bridge is also the highest rail bridge ever built in the United States.
Pit River Bridge
Shasta Lake, California, United States
500 feet high / 152 meters high
630 foot span / 192 meter span

For an arch bridge on top of the mountains, drive up the old Donner Pass Road.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.