A little help por favr

1,232 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AjoDevil
AjoDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Greetings Bears.

I am taking the family up to the Bay Area in a couple of weeks for vacation, and I am considering staying at the Holiday Inn Express at Univ and San Pablo Aves in Berkeley. How is that area?
Thanks.
concordtom
I'm sure there are a ton of people here who would be glad to tell you a million ideas.
I have questions for you.
Why are you coming to Berkeley?
Where else in the Bay Area are you looking at?
What are the ages of people coming?
Why consider that hotel?

My best answer is to go onto google maps and use street view to look at the surrounding area.
I do not want to disparage, but I would not pick that intersection as the place to go to show people Berkeley. But that all depends on the purpose for coming. And who is coming.

Is this a one night?
Using as a base?
How getting around? Car, BART?
Lots to consider.
dajo9
Are you with the Russians?
bearister
Don't go for a late night smoke out front or walk your dog.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
B.A. Bearacus
dajo9 said:

Hehe, methinks this is a colleague from an in-conference school whose mascot is Satan.

I have a feeling that there are definitely signs of gentrification near that intersection that will make it more interesting/safe for your stay. If you are thinking of that area as a home base for trips to SF or the more interesting parts of Berkeley (by car), I think that would be totally fine. I'm confident that you'd be able to find a decent restaurant and/or cafe/bar option within an easy 5-min walk. This neighborhood would be an underwhelming place to spend a lot of time on foot, but my sense is that it's totally fine and safe, just not public trans-friendly.

Another Bear
That area, like most, has been gentrified. Small 1,200 s.f. craftsmans going for $1m+ in that area...but is it safe? Who knows.
Anarchistbear
If your idea is to be in a place that is convenient to other areas worth exploring- North Berkeley, 4 th Street, campus, downtown- then it's ok but surroundings and environment in that area aren't as pleasant though not dangerous.
OneKeg
Assuming it's still open, there's a hole-in-the-wall but good BBQ joint right there on San Pablo called Everette and Jones.
AjoDevil
dajo9 said:

No, but I wish a russian - particularly Alexander Ovechkin - was with us.
AjoDevil
B.A. Bearacus said:

dajo9 said:

Hehe, methinks this is a colleague from an in-conference school whose mascot is Satan.

Youthinks correct.
AjoDevil
So to answer the general line of questioning above, we plan on using it just as a base to sleep, shower and eat their free breakfast before lighting out to do the tourist thing in SF/East Bay/Napa/wherever else.
offshorebear
It should work. Not nice area, but not bad. Anybody fussy will be fussed, anybody normal will be fine.

If you're worried it isn't nice enough but don't want to break the bank then maybe try the Double Tree in the Marina. That's my go to in the area. Or go with Air BnB
kelly09
offshorebear said:

It should work. Not nice area, but not bad. Anybody fussy will be fussed, anybody normal will be fine.

If you're worried it isn't nice enough but don't want to break the bank then maybe try the Double Tree in the Marina. That's my go to in the area. Or go with Air BnB
Kammala Harris lived, not a block away, in that area when she was in elementary school. It's better now.
AjoDevil
Thank you for all you help Bears.

Beat 'furd !
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.