Do you see a problem? What should be done?

21,818 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by going4roses
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another Bear
Cops should be licensed, requiring standardized training, testing and certification...just like hair dressers, teachers, nurses, dog groomers, make up artists, house painters, security guards, travel agents and florists.

For fcck sake, if security guards and florist requires a license, cop should as well. Licensing would separate the riff raff, yahoos and gung-ho dingbats.
Golden One
Another Bear said:

Cops should be licensed, requiring standardized training, testing and certification...just like hair dressers, teachers, nurses, dog groomers, make up artists, house painters, security guards, travel agents and florists.

For fcck sake, if security guards and florist requires a license, cop should as well. Licensing would separate the riff raff, yahoos and hung-ho dingbats.
You obviously know nothing about the extensive training, testing, and certification that all cops go through before they hit the streets.
going4roses
So what is the problem in your opinion?
kelly09
going4roses said:

Mostly bad people. Sometimes the cops. Not usually though.
dajo9
What most police lack is training on how to deal with the mentally ill. Police forces that emphasize that have significantly lower rates of things like this happening. I feel very badly for that young man and his family.
American Vermin
going4roses
Anarchistbear
What's the point of police? It's not- as popularly believed- to make members of a community feel safer; it's more retribution and enforcement and rarely prevents crime.
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
Some policemen have untreated PSTD from serving in the Middle East. Some of those policemen go Schizoid if they perceive you are not obeying commands or present a risk to their safety. If a cop late at night tells you to drop your drawers and do 50 push ups in the street, drop your drawers and do 60. The next day hire John Burris and file suit. If you decide not to follow commands then your heirs will be retaining Mr. Burris.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
Golden One
Copgoing4roses said:

Cops are human just like the rest of us. It's unreasonable to expect them to be perfect all the time, especially when they are being threatened or harrassed by hoodlums, gang members, and others who disrespect them.
Golden One
Anarchistbear said:

What's the point of police? It's not- as popularly believed- to make members of a community feel safer; it's more retribution and enforcement and rarely prevents crime.
Wow! Hard to believe that any intelligent person ewould actually hold that view. I hope you're never in a situation where you have to dial 911.
going4roses
Whoa
going4roses
You mean " rational "
Anarchistbear
Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

Wow! Hard to believe that any intelligent person ewould actually hold that view. I hope you're never in a situation where you have to dial 911.

Police solve nothing. They're just robots programmed to "fight crime." Nobody in minority communities are thrilled to see their so called protectors. In Orinda it's different.
Golden One
going4roses said:

You mean " rational "
I'll accept that.
GBear4Life
Anarchistbear said:

GBear4Life
Anarchistbear said:

Police solve nothing. They're just robots programmed to "fight crime." Nobody in minority communities are thrilled to see their so called protectors. In Orinda it's different.
Ok, I get it now. You're trolling.

Carry on.
Golden One
Anarchistbear said:

Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

You obviously feel differently, but when I see police patrolling my community, I feel comfortable and reassured. Most black people I know feel the same way.
GBear4Life
One of the perplexing questions of our time: why do people resist arrest? Isn't that like trying to escape death, argue foul calls. It's like banging one's head against the wall over and over. I mean, the cops AREN'T GOING AWAY. Never seen a cop be like "oh, he's really opposed to this arrest, I guess we'll be on our way." Resisting actually permits them to use lawful physical force to detain you.

Along with civics and economics, all HS seniors should be required to take a one hour seminar on how not to get your ass kicked by the police. Don't be "IG-NANT"!

Anarchistbear
I don't feel comfortable. I don't feel reassured. I'd rather not see them. Why should I if I haven't done anything wrong?

With regard to minorities that's not my experience. Crime is due to people who lack basic needs, drugs and the mentally disturbed.. Police have nothing to do with preventing any of this.
GBear4Life
Anarchistbear said:

I don't feel comfortable. I don't feel reassured. I'd rather not see them. Why should I if I haven't done anything wrong?
This is the attitude I'd get from the 5th graders I used to counsel. It's not the perspective of a rational adult. Adults are pragmatic, children dwell on misguided notions of 'fairness' and 'who started it'.

Quote:

With regard to minorities that's not my experience. Crime is due to people who lack basic needs, drugs and the mentally disturbed.. Police have nothing to do with preventing any of this.

The boogey-manning of police to portray them as particular enemies of minorities in poor communities is absolute nonsense. The irony is the people and neighborhoods who NEED LE presence the MOST are the very people you're pandering to: the innocent, law abiding adults and children who are working to better themselves and get OUT of these neighborhoods. They are the victims of the crime, drugs, and degenerative culture of these poor, crime ridden neighborhoods.
Anarchistbear
They are the enemies of many communities. Why wouldn't they be? Their role is to enforce laws without discretion. In fact crime has always been a part of poor communities be it the Irish, the Italians the Chinese, Hispanics and African Americans. Crime also has been at many times the only economic driver in these communities. The role of police is to criminalize and imprison people without regard to community needs which historically has been busting people capriciously and arbitrarily. Nobody likes or trusts them.
GBear4Life
Anarchistbear said:

Their role is to enforce laws without discretion.
What a dishonest assertion to frame an insanely irrational position.

Quote:

They are the enemies of many communities. Why wouldn't they be? Their role is to enforce laws without discretion. In fact crime has always been a part of poor communities be it the Irish, the Italians the Chinese, Hispanics and African Americans. Crime also has been at many times the only economic driver in these communities. The role of police is to criminalize and imprison people without regard to community needs which historically has been busting people capriciously and arbitrarily. Nobody likes or trusts them.
This incoherent hyperbolic rambling is akin to some of Trump's diatribes.

My bad, the "no police, just let communities be!" is an obvious troll job. Ignore my response.
Anarchistbear
GB4Life: The police are good and protect us every day.

Pathetic virtue signaling on your part
going4roses
I see cognitive dissonance at work
dajo9
GBear4Life said:

One of the perplexing questions of our time: why do people resist arrest? Isn't that like trying to escape death, argue foul calls. It's like banging one's head against the wall over and over. I mean, the cops AREN'T GOING AWAY. Never seen a cop be like "oh, he's really opposed to this arrest, I guess we'll be on our way." Resisting actually permits them to use lawful physical force to detain you.

Along with civics and economics, all HS seniors should be required to take a one hour seminar on how not to get your ass kicked by the police. Don't be "IG-NANT"!

I completely agree with this sentiment but you can't ignore the mental illness aspect of it. I read this young man was mentally ill and called the police himself because he was scared and confused. Police need special training to deal with the mentally ill because the mentally ill do not act rationally. Too often, the police don't get this training and the mentally ill end up dead.
American Vermin
sycasey
We need much tighter gun control to help reduce the number of guns in circulation.

A big reason cops are always so nervous in approaching random nutjobs on the street is because they don't know if he's packing. The proliferation of guns in America has contributed to the militarization of police forces, which was never supposed to be their role. The police aren't supposed to be an invading force, they're supposed to be a part of the community. To protect and serve and all that. Most cops in the U.K. don't even need to carry guns.

So it's as I always say: take away all the guns.
GBear4Life
Leftists will always work backwards from their ideologically based premise regarding guns and LE generally to align with that premise. You were part of the thread that discussed the numbers of guns acquired illegally. Just stop. LE being on "alert" will always be there, as a gun ban (as stupid, as impractical, and how poorly supported that idea is) would not eliminate extraordinary amount of guns in circulation. Not that that matters. And nevermind the irony of taking away guns from a citizenry to protect themselves from government officers with guns that the very same people find so dangerous.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

Leftists will always work backwards from their ideologically based premise regarding guns and LE generally to align with that premise. You were part of the thread that discussed the numbers of guns acquired illegally. Just stop. LE being on "alert" will always be there, as a gun ban (as stupid, as impractical, and how poorly supported that idea is) would not eliminate extraordinary amount of guns in circulation. Not that that matters. And nevermind the irony of taking away guns from a citizenry to protect themselves from government officers with guns that the very same people find so dangerous.
What is this word salad.
GBear4Life
Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

You obviously feel differently, but when I see police patrolling my community, I feel comfortable and reassured. Most black people I know feel the same way.
As you increase LE presence, crime goes down. To the hate-police brigade, they always manage to turn that correlative fact to redirect conversation towards an irrelevant or misleading talking point.

To advocate for LESS police (as opposed to, say, BETTER police) is so profoundly ignorant and counter productive to the poor folks in these neighborhoods who NEED a strong police presence for their own safety and well being.
going4roses
bearister
going4roses said:

I would have used the LAPD chokehold on that f@cking hillbilly.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
Am I supposed to imagine what would happen if this 65 year old crazy woman was black?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.