Obama calls out 'Wokeness'

4,177 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearForce2
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

Mr Obama said that calling people out on social media did not bring about change, and that change was complex.

"Woke" is described as being alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice, along with being aware of what's going on in the community.

Mr Obama told the audience: "I get a sense among certain young people on social media that the way of making change is to be as judgemental as possible about other people.

"If I tweet or hashtag about how you didn't do something right or used the wrong verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself because 'Man did you see how woke I was? I called you out!'"

Fmr. President Barack Obama: "This idea of purity and you're never compromised and you're politically woke, and all that stuff -- you should get over that quickly. The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50239261

I miss this man and completely agree with him.
BearForce2
golden sloth said:

Quote:

"Woke" is described as being alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice, along with being aware of what's going on in the community.

Black on Asian violence in S.F.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/sf-chinatown-attack-suspects-sfpd-14826086.php#photo-18593155

Yogi14
golden sloth said:

Quote:

Mr Obama said that calling people out on social media did not bring about change, and that change was complex.

Mr Obama told the audience: "I get a sense among certain young people on social media that the way of making change is to be as judgemental as possible about other people.

"If I tweet or hashtag about how you didn't do something right or used the wrong verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself because 'Man did you see how woke I was? I called you out!'"

Fmr. President Barack Obama: "This idea of purity and you're never compromised and you're politically woke, and all that stuff -- you should get over that quickly. The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws."

golden sloth
Professor Turgeson Bear said:

golden sloth said:

Quote:

I tried to watch the entire video to have a fully informed decision but I had to stop at about the 3:30 mark simply because they were doing the same thing the Fox News Opinion people do. They spin and extrapolate a story and then pretend to be quoting the person but in actual fact are putting words into that person's mouth, which is not actually what that person said, then start arguing against the words they just put in that person's mouth. Its BS in my opinion, and I'd be better served putting my time into something else.
Yogi14
golden sloth said:

Professor Turgeson Bear said:

golden sloth said:

Quote:

I tried to watch the entire video to have a fully informed decision but I had to stop at about the 3:30 mark simply because they were doing the same thing the Fox News Opinion people do. They spin and extrapolate a story and then pretend to be quoting the person but in actual fact are putting words into that person's mouth, which is not actually what that person said, then start arguing against the words they just put in that person's mouth. Its BS in my opinion, and I'd be better served putting my time into something else.
Well, I miss him relative to Trump. I miss his decorum. But I don't miss how he sold a campaign on hope and change and then governed to protect the interests of investment bankers, mortgage lenders, and the military-industrial complex. He didn't fight very hard for the people that put him in office.
sycasey
Obama is definitely right about the downside of "wokeness" (especially on social media).
calbear93
BearForce2 said:

golden sloth said:

Quote:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/sf-chinatown-attack-suspects-sfpd-14826086.php#photo-18593155

Why does it have to be about race?

People are just crap. People of all colors do bad things to each other.
calbear93
sycasey said:

Obama is definitely right about the downside of "wokeness" (especially on social media).
That's because it isn't about making the world better.

It is like any other bullying attempt. People want to be feel better about themselves by pushing others down.

They can color it by saying they are progressive, but you can determine their moral values by what they do and not by what they say.
calbear93
sycasey said:

I really like Obama as a human being, by the way, irrespective of how I may disagree with him on certain political views.

I also miss the civility of the McCain / Obama election.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

That's because it isn't about making the world better.

It is like any other bullying attempt. People want to be feel better about themselves by pushing others down.

They can color it by saying they are progressive, but you can determine their moral values by what they do and not by what they say.
To me the key is in what people say when the person they are calling out makes an attempt to do better. If the response is that they are still a "garbage person" or whatever and can never erase what they did, I become suspect. You can't cancel everyone forever.
BearForce2
calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

golden sloth said:

Quote:

Why does it have to be about race?

People are just crap. People of all colors do bad things to each other.
I'm playing along with their line of thinking, race is central to leftist thinking except when it comes to reporting race of criminals. The article described the getaway vehicle but not the perps.

Anarchistbear
I'm sure 100% get it with the exception of one person.
calbear93
golden sloth said:

BearForce2 said:

Anarchistbear said:

The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude
Wow, anarachistbear dude, let me quote you in case you edit.

Obviously you're not a golfer.
No different from the homophobic and misogynistic crap that gets posted here by those claiming to be "woke".

Maybe we just accept that we are all flawed but, even if may disagree, we all still love our country?

Or we can just keep playing gotcha with each other and patting ourselves for not being the vilified caricature of someone who happens to disagree.

Or we can just assume that some are more equal than others (certain racial or religious groups can be insulted and others are sacrosanct) and we can use racial slurs like that even in context of something else.
B.A. Bearacus
Anarchistbear said:

Just a reality check. I liked the Big Lebowski, too, but didn't recall this quote from the movie (had to google your sentence, which I only thought to do because of a reply made to your comment). And who cares if it's only one person who doesn't get it or 10? Gotta use common sense in a public forum when using racially derogatory terms.
BearForce2
Anarchistbear said:

Quote:

[Epstein's] not dead, he was extracted. He's on a private Mossad beach in Tel Aviv with two fourteen year olds.
Maybe you're the 14 year old in this scenario.
golden sloth
Has anybody on here ever actually claimed to be 'woke'. I don't think I've ever seen, and I know haven't?
sycasey
golden sloth said:

Has anybody on here ever actually claimed to be 'woke'. I don't think I've ever seen, and I know haven't?

Most of this board isn't really the right demographic.
B.A. Bearacus
calbear93
golden sloth said:

I was using the defined term you provided in your original post.

So, you think those who are standing on their soapboxes here are not claiming to be "alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice, along with being aware of what's going on in the community" all the while using homosexuality as an insult to Trump or his supporters or objectifying women?

They can be whatever they want. However, I think anyone outside this echo chamber will just roll their eyes at these "woke" posters who say one thing while their actions betray who they really are.

And other than one poster, none of these other "woke" poster objected to a racial slur against Asians.

I guess Asians and Jews did not make the cut for the "more equal" treatment from the "woke" crowd.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

And other than one poster, none of these other "woke" poster objected to a racial slur against Asians.

I guess Asians and Jews did not make the cut for the "more equal" treatment from the "woke" crowd.

Most of us just recognized that it was a quote from a movie and not being used as an actual slur.
BearForce2
golden sloth said:

BearForce2 said:

Anarchistbear said:

The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude
Wow, anarachistbear dude, let me quote you in case you edit.

Obviously you're not a golfer.
And obviously you are a golfer?
calbear93
Are you saying you are OK with using the n-word as long it is used to quote a line from a movie? How about posting a slur against Muslims by quoting a line from a movie? If you think it's OK, may I take it that you will reply using one of those slurs included in a quote from a movie?
sycasey
calbear93 said:

Are you saying you are OK with using the n-word as long it is used to quote a line from a movie? How about posting a slur against Muslims by quoting a line from a movie? If you think it's OK, may I take it that you will reply using one of those slurs included in a quote from a movie?

I think context matters a lot, yeah.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Catch me in some kind of contradiction? I don't think I've made one.
calbear93
No, you said using a racial slur was OK in that instance because everyone knew he was quoting a line from a movie.

I am asking you if you are willing to use the n-word by quoting a line from a movie? If not, why not? If yes, let's see you do it.

I honestly don't think you would. The real reason you think that using a slur against Asians is OK is because you do not believe racism against Asians is as bad as racism against other races. And that's a shame.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

No, you said using a racial slur was OK in that instance because everyone knew he was quoting a line from a movie.

I am asking you if you are willing to use the n-word by quoting a line from a movie? If not, why not? If yes, let's see you do it.

I honestly don't think you would. The real reason you think that using a slur against Asians is OK is because you do not believe racism against Asians is as bad as racism against other races. And that's a shame.

The reason I won't do it now is because you're prompting me to do it as part of your little wokeness game here. Not a good reason.
calbear93
That's the only reason? In recent past, you have used the full n-word in public by quoting a line in the movie? OK, that is hard to believe. You seem too decent.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

That's the only reason? In recent past, you have used the full n-word in public by quoting a line in the movie? OK, that is hard to believe. You seem too decent.

Songs and movies, yes. I personally have no problem with that and wouldn't call anyone else out for doing it.
calbear93
Wow. Even as someone who hates PC, I would rebuke you if you used the n-word in my presence even to quote a movie line because of all of the horror and pain that word reflects. I am honestly shocked you use the n-word like that. OK. I asked the rhetorical question to the wrong person.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

Wow. Even as someone who hates PC, I would rebuke you if you used the n-word in my presence even to quote a movie line because of all of the horror and pain that word reflects. I am honestly shocked you use the n-word like that. OK. I asked the rhetorical question to the wrong person.

IMO, removing a word from usage in any and all contexts gives it more power and allows people to forget what it really means. Now, we should certainly be VERY CAREFUL in how we use certain words, and I would certainly consider the context and intended audience before doing so, but scrubbing it out entirely, even when trying to quote an earlier usage for reference, is a bridge too far IMO.

Honestly, your argument above sounds more PC than anything I've argued here.
B.A. Bearacus
calbear93
B.A. Bearacus said:

CB93, just post the following and everyone can have a laugh and be even:

Actually you better watch your mouth white boy, before I shove these gators up your ass and show yo' insides some style.
Look, it's not about getting even.

It's not about playing identity politics.

It's about standing on principle that racism is evil in every shape and form and that mocking or belittling a person or a race based solely on color is evil.

Why is that so hard to understand? Why do we have to rationalize why certain racism is OK and others are not?

Racism or racial slurs reveal a tiny, lazy ignorant mind whether it comes from those who carry tiki torches or from those who proclaim to be progressive.

End of story.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

It's about standing on principle that racism is evil in every shape and form and that mocking or belittling a person or a race based solely on color is evil.

Why is that so hard to understand? Why do we have to rationalize why certain racism is OK and others are not?
Because I don't agree that the mere use of a word automatically qualifies as mocking or belittling. I think you need to look at the context, tone, and intended audience, and I think your failure to do that is the source of your confusion.

EDIT: I also notice that the original post you're ranting about has since been deleted, so this argument is now extra pointless.
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

Because I don't agree that the mere use of a word automatically qualifies as mocking or belittling. I think you need to look at the context, tone, and intended audience, and I think your failure to do that is the source of your confusion.
Honestly, it's a slippery slope. It's a built in defense to say someone is taking the use of racial slur out of context or that it was just a joke.

One can easily use an offensive racial slur and then blame the target for not getting the joke or the context.

I remember a video of three white comedians (including Seinfeld) with two of them using the n-word and claiming it was not a slur because one had to understand it in context. Seinfeld is the only one who refused. I would really like to hear from someone who is an African-American to see if they thought that video was funny or, if they were insulted, whether they should be told they just failed to understand the context on how these two white comedians were laughing and using the N-word.

It's like Trump saying he is not racist despite his racist statements and actions and saying people are taking it out of context. Or saying that people were taking his use of the work lynching out of context.

calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

EDIT: I also notice that the original post you're ranting about has since been deleted, so this argument is now extra pointless.
It is not pointless.

Was the use of the racial slur wrong or not?

Does principle matter at all?

And if it was such a harmless use of the word, why were the posts deleted by the moderators?
B.A. Bearacus
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.