Obama calls out 'Wokeness'

4,176 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearForce2
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

And if it was such a harmless use of the word, why were the posts deleted by the moderators?

Probably because they are trying to be better safe than sorry. That does not mean everyone else is being a hypocrite by not taking offense.

I have already explained why I don't find it offensive. You don't have to agree, but more breathless moralizing isn't going to convince me otherwise.
Yogi14
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

It's about standing on principle that racism is evil in every shape and form and that mocking or belittling a person or a race based solely on color is evil.

Why is that so hard to understand? Why do we have to rationalize why certain racism is OK and others are not?
Because I don't agree that the mere use of a word automatically qualifies as mocking or belittling. I think you need to look at the context, tone, and intended audience, and I think your failure to do that is the source of your confusion.

EDIT: I also notice that the original post you're ranting about has since been deleted, so this argument is now extra pointless.
It is not pointless.

Was the use of the racial slur wrong or not?

Does principle matter at all?

And if it was such a harmless use of the word, why were the posts deleted by the moderators?
In a format that encourages dumb arguments, this may be in the Top 5 for the dumbest
BearForce2
Professor Turgeson Bear said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

It's about standing on principle that racism is evil in every shape and form and that mocking or belittling a person or a race based solely on color is evil.

Why is that so hard to understand? Why do we have to rationalize why certain racism is OK and others are not?
Because I don't agree that the mere use of a word automatically qualifies as mocking or belittling. I think you need to look at the context, tone, and intended audience, and I think your failure to do that is the source of your confusion.

EDIT: I also notice that the original post you're ranting about has since been deleted, so this argument is now extra pointless.
It is not pointless.

Was the use of the racial slur wrong or not?

Does principle matter at all?

In a format that encourages dumb arguments, this may be in the Top 5 for the dumbest
This response may in the Top 1 for the dumbest.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.