Adam Schiff for next Speaker of the House, and beyond...

3,646 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GBear4Life
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am very impressed with Schiff. It's not easy to perform on such a public and "live" stage as he's had, and he has done well. He now has experience responding to the GOP games to delay hearings, and damage him with their arrows. He has been steely. (In contrast, Nadler sucked!)

I predict that Nancy Pelosi should retire in the coming years, after Dems win the presidency and further solidify their lead in the House following the GOP-Trump utter disaster. She is 79 after all. Sure, there have been many elected officials who have stayed much longer, and beyond recommendation, but I think the dignified Nancy will not do so.

And so, when she steps down, I nominate Adam Schiff as the next Speaker of the House.
concordtom
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/21/772049917/how-rep-adam-schiff-got-to-a-place-where-hes-leading-the-impeachment-inquiry
concordtom
Oldest congressman ever was Ralph Hall at 91.
John Conyers retired at 88, and Ralph Dingell was slightly younger. Both in top 10 among the oldest in office.

All 3 are recent.

http://www.oldest.org/politics/us-congressmen/
concordtom
Oldest senators:
Strom Thurmond was 100, retired, died later same year in 2003. He was effectively a museum piece and should have not been reelected.
Robert Byrd was 92. He was a pork and barrel guy for WV as chairman of the Appropriations Committee.
Dianne Feinstein is the 8th oldest ever at 84. She needs to step down!

Not on list but old per my memory:
Jessie Helms, NC
Clayborn Pell, RI
Looked it up, Pell retired at only 78. He was suffering from Parkinson's in the early 90's and so seemed older than he was. Super nice guy, whom I worked for.
Helms was only 81 when he retired.
I guess I was younger then than now. That doesn't seem as old anymore.

http://www.oldest.org/politics/senators-us/
concordtom
Byrd was well known for steering federal dollars to West Virginia, one of the country's poorest states. He was called the "King of Pork" by Citizens Against Government Waste. After becoming chair of the Appropriations Committee in 1989, Byrd set a goal securing a total of $1 billion for public works in the state. He passed that mark in 1991, and funds for highways, dams, educational institutions, and federal agency offices flowed unabated over the course of his membership. More than 30 existing or pending federal projects bear his name. He commented on his reputation for attaining funds for projects in West Virginia in August 2006, when he called himself "Big Daddy" at the dedication for the Robert C. Byrd Biotechnology Science Center. Examples of this ability to claim funds and projects for his state include the Federal Bureau of Investigation's repository for computerized fingerprint records as well as several United States Coast Guard computing and office facilities.
concordtom
Rep Michael Turner of Ohio was a loser, getting gaveled out by Schoff at least 3 times. The gavel says "shut up".
In this first instance, he wants to throw words in Yavocovitch's mouth, and when she continues, he says, "no, not on my time, you're done." Rude guy trying to fit his explanation of Giuliani innocence in before the clock struck 5:00 minutes.

The gavel tells him to shut up and allow the witness to respond to her completion.
Ha!

concordtom
Here are Turner's full 5 minutes (the above is contained within this). I present to show the final few seconds where Turner does get to fit in his Giuliani excuse, at the same as getting gaveled by Sxhiff a second time within 5 minutes.

concordtom
A June 2017 Roll Call article lists 6 potential Pelosi-successors, none named Schiff.

concordtom
A November 2018 Bloomberg article lists 8 could be successors and describes Schiff as a Pelosi groomed candidate.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-16/the-democrats-who-could-replace-nancy-pelosi
bearister
Congressman Schiff went to Stanford undergrad and Harvard Law School (Monte Vista H.S. In Danville). When he was with the U.S. Attorney's Office he prosecuted an FBI agent that sold government secrets to the Soviets. Thus he is ideally suited to deal with the present situation. He's been there, done that....plus the tRump Crime Family members are low intelligence criminals that are constantly saying and doing things against their own best interest.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
kelly09
concordtom said:

I am very impressed with Schiff. It's not easy to perform on such a public and "live" stage as he's had, and he has done well. He now has experience responding to the GOP games to delay hearings, and damage him with their arrows. He has been steely. (In contrast, Nadler sucked!)

I predict that Nancy Pelosi should retire in the coming years, after Dems win the presidency and further solidify their lead in the House following the GOP-Trump utter disaster. She is 79 after all. Sure, there have been many elected officials who have stayed much longer, and beyond recommendation, but I think the dignified Nancy will not do so.

And so, when she steps down, I nominate Adam Schiff as the next Speaker of the House.
EYEBALLS1
Another Bear
kelly09 said:

concordtom said:

EYEBALLS1
What a savvy RWNJ response.
Another Bear
Methinks Adam Schiff is eye-balling DiFi's senate seat.
GBear4Life
all of a sudden lying doesn't matter?

Ok, I guess.
Yogi14
kelly09 said:

concordtom said:

EYEBALLS1
You should consider retirement as well.
concordtom
GBear4Life said:

Ok, I guess.

It does matter!!
That's why it's great that we have someone who is keeping them accountable!!!

If you are referring to his characterization of the phone call, that only needed to be preceded with a more clearly inserted "as if" so that tools like you and your partisan and weak minded GOP zombie brethren couldn't twist it into the disingenuous claim that he's not an honest broker. In other words, it was merely a political misstep.

You guys really are RWNJs. So weak!
concordtom
Another Bear said:

Methinks Adam Schiff is eye-balling DiFi's senate seat.

Feinstein born June 22, 1933.
Reelected just last November. Current term from Jan 2019-2025.
Could she seriously last as an effective leader to age 91? These old politicians... it's more their chiefs of staff that do the work.
GBear4Life
concordtom said:

It does matter!!
That's why it's great that we have someone who is keeping them accountable!!!

If you are referring to his characterization of the phone call, that only needed to be preceded with a more clearly inserted "as if" so that tools like you and your partisan and weak minded GOP zombie brethren couldn't twist it into the disingenuous claim that he's not an honest broker. In other words, it was merely a political misstep.

You guys really are RWNJs. So weak!
Pointing out your hypocrisy and selective outrage = RWNJ.

K.
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

Pelosi will stay as long as she is effective, as she should. There is nothing undignified in that.
Another Bear
Pelosi told the Democratic Congress members she plans to step down in 2022. My guess is after the impeachment mess she might stick around for a few more years...on request of Democratic members of congress. Not only can she count and court votes but she is kicking Trump's butt. I'd like her to stick around to pass anti-corruption legislation, particularly aimed at tech, social media and the fccking Russkies. Going to need someone competent to get that through.
kelly09
Professor Turgeson Bear said:

kelly09 said:

concordtom said:

EYEBALLS1
MEATBALL!
BearChemist
Seems our conservative posters (read: trolls) have gone full Trumpy illiterate style.
Another Bear
kelly09 said:

Professor Turgeson Bear said:

kelly09 said:

concordtom said:

EYEBALLS1
MEATBALL!

Get your TRUMP MEATBALLS...harvested from GOP RWWNs (right wingers without nuts), mixed with human waste, a balanced budget and orange tanner spray! Every Trump cabinet member is forced to eat 3 to get approved. Scodland tried to shove it up his butt instead of eating it...but Trump made him eat after the failed insertion. Rudy got his TRUMP MEATBALLS after he felched Trump get them out. Pee Parties, nothing!
BearForce2
bearister said:

Congressman Schiff went to Stanford undergrad and Harvard Law School (Monte Vista H.S. In Danville). When he was with the U.S. Attorney's Office he prosecuted an FBI agent that sold government secrets to the Soviets. Thus he is ideally suited to deal with the present situation. He's been there, done that....plus the tRump Crime Family members are low intelligence criminals that are constantly saying and doing things against their own best interest.

Kiss me, you make me sound so good! Everyone's a ****** except me!

concordtom
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

Pelosi will stay as long as she is effective, as she should. There is nothing undignified in that.

Agreed!!
My comment was more like, retire while still on top. Don't be that athlete who stays but can no longer perform.

If the Dems turn the tide, she could walk off the stage, pass the torch, and enjoy the post D.C. sunset chapter of life with her wealthy husband. WHY NOT?!?!

Bill Walsh: "I have nothing left to prove."
concordtom
Another Bear said:

Sondland tried to shove it up his butt instead of eating it...but Trump made him eat after the failed insertion.

Lol, I thought I was the only one with an occasional crass sense of humor.
concordtom
BearForce2 said:

Kiss me, you make me sound so good! Everyone's a ****** except me!

Not crass, not funny, doesn't make any sense.
Trump Cult is cracking up, before breaking up.

That's a good thing.
You do you!
It's a process.
okaydo
GBear4Life said:

Ok, I guess.

Wow, had no idea that GBear4Life was anti-Trump.
BearForce2
GBear4Life said:

Ok, I guess.
It doesn't matter when Democrats lie according to Democrats.

AunBear89
BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Ok, I guess.

Wow - nice bit of projection! You've been reading your RWNJ playbook - good on you!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
concordtom
BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Ok, I guess.

Not gonna say no Dems have never lied, nor gonna ask you to back up your claim so as to let you peddle.
I will merely assert that Republicans have been spewing massive repeated and expanding whoppers for a long time now, beginning with Obama wasn't born in Hawaii.
You have extremely little standing to be making such a statement.
Sit down and shut up.
Clean up your party.

Edit: ...beginning with "Iraq has WMD".
Yellow cake, Niger.
Brooks brothers protest in Florida stole the 2000 election. See movie Recount, please.
Gosh, no wonder I departed the party of my origin.
bearister
concordtom said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Ok, I guess.

Not gonna say no Dems have never lied, nor gonna ask you to back up your claim so as to let you peddle.
I will merely assert that Republicans have been spewing massive repeated and expanding whoppers for a long time now, beginning with Obama wasn't born in Hawaii.
Sit down and shut up.
Clean up your party.

Yellow cake, Niger.
Brooks brothers protest in Florida stole the 2000 election. See movie Recount, please.

...and how about he Texas millionaires that smeared John Kerry to defeat in 2004:

Swift Vets and POWs for Truth - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_Vets_and_POWs_for_Truth
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_Vets_and_POWs_for_Truth

" These claims caused tremendous controversy during the election, particularly because most of the organization's members had not been in a place to assess Kerry, while most of the Vietnam veterans who had served with him supported Kerry's version of events."

*The 2000 Election was cleaner. They just flat out rigged it.
bearister
concordtom said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Ok, I guess.

Sit down and shut up.
Clean up your party.

Yellow cake, Niger.

This is not aimed at you concordtom, you are a brother. It is a general rant against all the false equivalency bs we get from the Conservatives.

"The both siderist
The both siderist is very reasonable. So reasonable, in fact, that people who care about politics actually look very unreasonable by comparison: Did you hear about the bad thing Republicans did? Well, Democrats did a bad thing too once, and it's all quite unfortunate that everyone can't be as reasonable as me.
Has the both siderist ever taken any actions to try to improve the political system? Well, it's funny that you ask; no, they haven't. What they have done is ask everyone, very nicely, to be civil and take it easy and not get too political with all that politics.
But in insisting on being the most reasonable person in the room, the both siderist has failed to read the room. Their postured reasonableness obscures the political realities we're dealing with: rampant Republican gerrymandering, voter suppression, human rights abuses, and anti-democratic power grabs from people like McConnell and Trump.

Nearly all the Republican moderates have been voted out of office. Redefining "moderate" doesn't make them more moderate, it just drags the debate to the right. Chart: The Washington Post
The both siderist has a lot of political opinions, but their most important opinion is that both sides are bad even if one side is doing objectively terrible **** to millions of people. It's because the both siderist desperately wants to be off the hook for having to actually do anything to improve our political system. (The both siderist, coincidentally, also has a book to sell and needs to get on as many media outlets as possible to sell it. But they can't afford to alienate anyone by being gasp partisan.)
As the Republican Party has gone off the rails in the Obama era, this has led to a deeper and deeper stretch of both siderism logic. For instance, Amy Chua, writing in The Atlantic about the decline of democracy, equates Trump threatening to revoke people's citizenship and strip them of their voting rights with college students asking a university to stop venerating a slave-owning Founding Father. But one of these fundamentally alters the realities of American political life for decades; the other is a campus debate over a statue.
The committed both siderist must never admit that one party or one side in a debate is worse than the other. If they did, they might have to do something about it."

A Field Guide to Bad Faith Arguments - Featured Stories - Medium

https://medium.com/s/story/a-field-guide-to-bad-faith-arguments-7-terrible-arguments-in-your-mentions-ee4f194afbc9

Party of relentless bad faith: How Republican lies and hypocrisy hit an all-time high | Salon.com

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/14/party-of-relentless-bad-faith-how-republican-lies-and-hypocrisy-hit-an-all-time-high/

The moral and intellectual bankruptcy of the Republican Party | Climate change | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/dec/04/the-moral-and-intellectual-bankruptcy-of-the-republican-party
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/dec/04/the-moral-and-intellectual-bankruptcy-of-the-republican-party
sycasey
BearChemist said:

Seems our conservative posters (read: trolls) have gone full Trumpy illiterate style.
I'm honestly not sure what kelly09 is even talking about. I assume this is meaningful if you are constantly immersed in right-wing news sites.
Another Bear
sycasey said:

BearChemist said:

I'm honestly not sure what kelly09 is even talking about. I assume this is meaningful if you are constantly immersed in right-wing news sites.
I'd call Trumpkins willfully ignorant, in the vein of self interest and sucking down massive volumes of Fox News.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.