Movie theaters that serve food and charge you a lot.

830 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sycasey
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone think this will be successful ? Personally I don't want to eat a meal. But would rather pay attention to the movie . Reviews are not encouraging as evidenced by Cineoplolis in San Mateo. Poor service, poor food and high prices.

Why would you open a labor intensive business on the SF Peninsula when you know there is such a shortage of lower level workers?

Also announcing food choices during previews seems bad.
Go Bears!
concordtom
Studio Movie Grill, Rocklin.

My kids go.
GBear4Life
Any indulgent, overpriced and unnecessary service has a market in the charming bay area...

Tix aren't that expensive though..$15...a regular theater these days is $10-$12

Not sure I'd be into watching a cool flick in a theater where people are eating and staff are walking around
oskidunker
Tickets are actually less in San Mateo than Cinnemark. $10 for seniors. Cinnemark $10.75. Maybe there are fees added.
Go Bears!
dajo9
Foodies ruin everything. Airplane food being one of many examples. Airlines don't even really serve meals anymore because of the complaints from foodies. I'd rather have a free mediocre meal than an expensive specialty chef prepared snack but foodies expect gourmet everything at no cost.
wifeisafurd
dajo9 said:

Foodies ruin everything. Airplane food being one of many examples. Airlines don't even really serve meals anymore because of the complaints from foodies. I'd rather have a free mediocre meal than an expensive specialty chef prepared snack but foodies expect gourmet everything at no cost.
Oh come on, you mean I can't have my free range, organic/vegan, non-gluten (actually I can't have gluten anymore), no anti-biotic, kale flavored popcorn? What about the children? Think of the children...
BearlyCareAnymore
oskidunker said:

Does anyone think this will be successful ? Personally I don't want to eat a meal. But would rather pay attention to the movie . Reviews are not encouraging as evidenced by Cineoplolis in San Mateo. Poor service, poor food and high prices.

Why would you open a labor intensive business on the SF Peninsula when you know there is such a shortage of lower level workers?

I saw a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in the Mission. It was packed. The food was reasonable and the pricing wasn't outlandish.

I would say it is like anything else. If they do a reasonable job with it, there is no reason it shouldn't succeed.
bearister
Does a Santeria shrine dedicated to a requested targeting of Acts of God cross the line too?

sycasey
OaktownBear said:

oskidunker said:

I saw a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in the Mission. It was packed. The food was reasonable and the pricing wasn't outlandish.

I would say it is like anything else. If they do a reasonable job with it, there is no reason it shouldn't succeed.

Indeed. Alamo Drafthouse is already a successful business model with multiple branches around the country (they are called Alamo because they started in Texas). The question has been answered.

For a smaller-scale local example I'd note the New Parkway in Oakland, which also seems to be thriving.

Neither of these places announces food choices during the previews though. You order before the movie, or silently by placing down a card during the movie. Employees are good about not distracting from the movie.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.