Why do you suppose the US did not shoot down the Iranian missles?

986 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cal88
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We knew they were coming. Pence was asked this on the today show not answered.
Go Bears!
oski003
Jason Kidd was passing them by us?
oskidunker
No one seems to have an answer. I know this off topic but a search on google turns up nothing.
Go Bears!
calbearinamaze
oskidunker said:

Heck, I don't know, But I'll with.

"our" ability to shoot anything recently is at the same level as CAL's
Go!Bears
oskidunker said:

No one seems to have an answer. I know this off topic but a search on google turns up nothing.
They may have known exactly where they were going. Given descriptions I have heard of the capabilities of our defenses, it would not surprise me.
socaltownie
Go!Bears said:

oskidunker said:

They may have known exactly where they were going. Given descriptions I have heard of the capabilities of our defenses, it would not surprise me.
That would be my guess as well (depending on the definition of exact). The bases are HUGE. Lots of open space. Plus the Iranians had signaled they were firing by notifying the Iraqis (who notified us). This was, bluntly, for the street (and really everyone knows it).

The problem is that you would imagine the militias will step up their attacks on service people in the middle east.
Take care of your Chicken
tequila4kapp
oskidunker said:

I read something to the effect that we do not have anti-missile technology at those bases. IIRC the story said our entire inventory is deployed elsewhere. I'm short on details, but this was the gist of the story.
Big C
socaltownie said:

Go!Bears said:

oskidunker said:

That would be my guess as well (depending on the definition of exact). The bases are HUGE. Lots of open space. Plus the Iranians had signaled they were firing by notifying the Iraqis (who notified us). This was, bluntly, for the street (and really everyone knows it).

The problem is that you would imagine the militias will step up their attacks on service people in the middle east.
This. We let them fire a few missiles at us to save face. They probably promised, back channels, to not aim for people. Either that or we knew their missiles weren't very accurate.
Yogi14
oskidunker said:

I don't particularly care, just glad the thread got moved. Really not that hard to switch forums.
BearlyCareAnymore
tequila4kapp said:

oskidunker said:

I read something to the effect that we do not have anti-missile technology at those bases. IIRC the story said our entire inventory is deployed elsewhere. I'm short on details, but this was the gist of the story.
I think people have an exaggerated sense of what our military can do in every case. We can't just destroy every thing and kill every one we want every moment and what capability we have is not deployed everywhere.
calpoly
oskidunker said:

If we shoot the missiles down the defense contractor that built the system would be running PR 24/7 about what a great system they built. Of course the president would also be taking credit too.
Cal88
Missile shield technology is not very effective, especially on targets that are fairly spread out and very numerous. Iran has a pretty large stockpile of missiles that could overwhelm a defense system, and they've demonstrated in the attack that they're pretty accurate, most of them hit buildings/living quarters inside a large base. Underground bunkers are the only defense.

Ships in the Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea are probably vulnerable as well. War with Iran won't be the kind of cakewalk we had in Iraq decades ago, Iran's large arsenal of accurate missiles has the potential to inflict a large number of casualties.

We're also on the verge of another surge in guerilla warfare against US forces in Iraq, with the Shia majority there now antagonized by Suleimani's assassination.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.