DNC keeps changing the rules to protect Biden

3,742 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sycasey
Yogi010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
golden sloth
If you want people to take you seriously use trustworthy news sources.

I have seen nothing to suggest that the dnc is rigging the election. Falsely claiming it is happening when it's not does a disservice to the process and undermines people's belief in the system. In short, it's dangerous and you should stop.
Yogi010
golden sloth said:

I have seen nothing to suggest that the dnc is rigging the election. Falsely claiming it is happening when it's not does a disservice to the process and undermines people's belief in the system. In short, it's dangerous and you should stop.
Calling trustworthy sources untrustworthy is very Trumpian of you.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-hill/
Go!Bears
The problem is the editorializing in the OP 'headline'. The video speculates, but they don't go so far as to assert it as fact, the way the OP does. Are you claiming these two do not have a perspective?
Yogi010
Go!Bears said:

The problem is the editorializing in the OP 'headline'. The video speculates, but they don't go so far as to assert it as fact, the way the OP does. Are you claiming these two do not have a perspective?
Of course they have a perspective. Would you expect commentators to not have one?
okaydo
It's weird that we had 3 debates in 18 days.

But now that it's important to have debates, we have to wait 20 days between debates.
Go!Bears
Chancellor Chang-Lin Tien said:

Go!Bears said:

Of course they have a perspective. Would you expect commentators to not have one?
I would, but I would also expect a reasonable person to understand that their statements are opinion, not fact and then would expect they would avoid presenting those opinions as if they were facts.
Yogi02
golden sloth said:

What would you say about the New York Times endorsing the show?

Yogi02
Go!Bears said:

Go!Bears said:

I would, but I would also expect a reasonable person to understand that their statements are opinion, not fact and then would expect they would avoid presenting those opinions as if they were facts.
Do you think they represented their opinions as something other than opinions?
Go!Bears
Professor Harold Hill said:

Go!Bears said:

Go!Bears said:

Do you think they represented their opinions as something other than opinions?
No, I think the OP did in his 'headline', for which there is no evidence, just speculation. Hence he was criticized by sloth and offered what I thought was a specious defense.
oskidunker
Bernie says people are sick and tired. Biden likes to say Period a lot. Hope he picks a good vp.
dimitrig
golden sloth said:

The DNC is not "rigging" the election, but they are definitely influencing it.

They are lucky they have someone as monstrous as Trump in office, because I have never voted for a third party candidate for President but I am closer to it than I ever have been.

I am disgusted by the fact that they realize that people like me won't vote for Trump so they can just write me off. Heck, they know they can write off the largest state in the Union, which - by the way - voted for Sanders.

I won't be happy if Trump wins, but I will take some solace in a Biden loss.
Yogi010
dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

They are lucky they have someone as monstrous as Trump in office, because I have never voted for a third party candidate for President but I am closer to it than I ever have been.

I am disgusted by the fact that they realize that people like me won't vote for Trump so they can just write me off. Heck, they know they can write off the largest state in the Union, which - by the way - voted for Sanders.

I won't take any solace in it, but at least the DNC will learn the hard way that you can't take the progressive vote for granted. If they want me to care about Biden winning, they better make the VP pick very ****ing attractive to me. Someone I'd actually want to be president in 4-8 years. And Kamala "Vote for me just because I'm a female minority" is not that person.

More bluntly, it better be someone on this list or it won't move the dial one iota for me.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1384/cosponsors?searchResultViewType=expanded&KWICView=false
Yogi17
dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

tequila4kapp
I'm on record as speculating the DNC has been in the pocket of Biden up through Super Tuesday. But since then I see their actions as more in the "influence" zone and not in the "rigging" space. This happened with the RNC against Trump 3 years ago too. The reality is candidates like Trump and Sanders, who are fundamentally anti-establishment, have to overcome the powers of the establishment. Sanders had a fair shot yesterday and didn't get the job done. More people voted for the allegedly safe candidate than the change candidate.
Yogi03
tequila4kapp said:

I'm on record as speculating the DNC has been in the pocket of Biden up through Super Tuesday. But since then I see their actions as more in the "influence" zone and not in the "rigging" space. This happened with the RNC against Trump 3 years ago too. The reality is candidates like Trump and Sanders, who are fundamentally anti-establishment, have to overcome the powers of the establishment. Sanders had a fair shot yesterday and didn't get the job done. More people voted for the allegedly safe candidate than the change candidate.
Yogi08
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

It's politics. Everybody, including Bernie is trying to "influence" the election. I don't understand what you have against things like candidates and party leaders endorsing their favored candidate other than he is not your favored candidate. People can listen to the arguments and vote opposite which is exactly what Republicans did. Bernie doesn't have the votes. End of story. There is nothing wrong with that.
dimitrig
OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

It's politics. Everybody, including Bernie is trying to "influence" the election. I don't understand what you have against things like candidates and party leaders endorsing their favored candidate other than he is not your favored candidate. People can listen to the arguments and vote opposite which is exactly what Republicans did. Bernie doesn't have the votes. End of story. There is nothing wrong with that.

Let us not bother with a primary then. Each party chooses its candidate and we go vote.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

Let us not bother with a primary then. Each party chooses its candidate and we go vote.

I'm sorry, but what the hell do you even mean here? Democrats got to vote. A large majority are choosing Biden.

People choosing the candidate you don't like doesn't invalidate the process.
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

What the hell are you talking about? We are having primaries. People are voting. The only thing going on is politicians are speaking their minds and supporting the candidate they like. What do you have a problem with. That is a campaign. What exactly do you think is wrong here? Your guy is losing. I voted for him too. You can't win them all
dimitrig
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

I'm sorry, but what the hell do you even mean here? Democrats got to vote. A large majority are choosing Biden.

Right. Just like "the people" voted for Trump. People can be influenced. People were influenced. In one case it was a foreign power which is a lot more severe. However, just because the DNC is doing it does not mean the process is not compromised. The DNC should just do away with the charade and choose a candidate in a smoke-filled room the same way the Catholic Church chooses a Pope. I mean... superdelegates... ?
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

Right. Just like "the people" voted for Trump. People can be influenced. People were influenced. In one case it was a foreign power which is a lot more severe. However, just because the DNC is doing it does not mean the process is not compromised. The DNC should just do away with the charade and choose a candidate in a smoke-filled room the same way the Catholic Church chooses a Pope. I mean... superdelegates... ?

The DNC wanted Hillary in 2008. They don't always get what they want.

Exactly what nefarious deed do you think was done? Say something specific. Yes, a bunch of politicians who obviously support Biden over Sanders endorsed him. Domestic politicians campaigning is not equivalent to foreign powers using social media to spread misinformation. Oh no! A politician endorsed a candidate! The horror. I feel like you are watching a baseball game and arguing it isn't fair when the other team hits a home run. Can he do that?

sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

Interference by an antagonistic foreign government is a LOT different than a party indicating its preferences. And even so, the Russians didn't literally change votes or anything.

Oaktown is right to cite the example of Obama beating Hillary in 2008. I would also cite Trump winning the GOP nomination in 2016 (remember, almost every influential Republican despised Trump at first and were not shy about saying so). Bernie could have pulled off something similar, he just didn't have the same popular support. So it goes.
Yogi010
OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

Exactly what nefarious deed do you think was done? Say something specific. Yes, a bunch of politicians who obviously support Biden over Sanders endorsed him. Domestic politicians campaigning is not equivalent to foreign powers using social media to spread misinformation. Oh no! A politician endorsed a candidate! The horror. I feel like you are watching a baseball game and arguing it isn't fair when the other team hits a home run. Can he do that?
So you think Andrew Yang supports Biden over Sanders?
BearlyCareAnymore

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

Absolutely. What makes you think otherwise?
sycasey

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

I think that at this point Yang is well aware of the delegate math and is supporting the best chance to beat Trump.
Yogi09
OaktownBear said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

And Corey Booker, who questioned Biden's mental fitness earlier in the race and was a co-signer on the Senate version of M4A? He supports Biden over Sanders?
Yogi09
sycasey said:

I think that at this point Yang is well aware of the delegate math and is supporting the best chance to beat Trump.
Right, but that doesn't mean it's his actual presidential preference. He's just playing the political game. You know - unity and Vote Blue No Matter Who (Unless It's A Shade Of Blue We Can't Abide).
sycasey
Corn Pop Was A Bad Dude said:

OaktownBear said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

And Corey Booker, who questioned Biden's mental fitness earlier in the race and was a co-signer on the Senate version of M4A? He supports Biden over Sanders?

You think this is the first time a politician attacked someone within his own party during the primary and then turned around and supported him later? There is nothing weird here.
sycasey

sycasey said:

Right, but that doesn't mean it's his actual presidential preference. He's just playing the political game. You know - unity and Vote Blue No Matter Who (Unless It's A Shade Of Blue We Can't Abide).

Yes. Andrew Yang is behaving rationally.

Some of the more die-hard Bernie fans should learn that lesson.
BearlyCareAnymore

OaktownBear said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

golden sloth said:

Beyond the signature proposals of M4A and free college and a wealth tax, Bernie has some ideas on corporate oversight - some good and a lot that scare the hell out of most people. Some really really stupid stuff. They don't scare me because they are things he would need legislation to do and he would never get it. But do I think any other candidate in the field would prefer Bernie to Biden? Maybe Warren. Maybe. You have made it clear you don't think Harris is progressive yet she hit Biden hard and supports M4A too. On hitting Biden, I'll give you a clue. Biden had the Black vote. Harris and Booker needed the Black vote. They needed to kneecap Biden. They didn't succeed. That is politics. Doesn't mean they don't prefer him to Bernie.

And even if it is about electability, so what? You are absolutely right that you don't owe the Democrats your vote. But I don't see anything here that is not within the normal rules of the game and doesn't happen every election. If the complaint is the Democrats don't represent your views, that is fine. They don't have to represent your views and you don't have to vote for them. That is different from claiming something untoward is going on.

Bottom line, Bernie banked on increasing turn out. He wasn't able to. Surprisingly, Biden was able to. The key point to this was something I discussed for months before Biden slumped. Black voters love Biden. As long as he had them, he was going to win. They questioned him with the results in Iowa and New Hampshire and his polling tanked. Clyburn saved him. That and Warren just devastating Bloomberg. If Harris or Booker had made it to South Carolina, giving Blacks an acceptable alternative, they may be riding high now. The thing is that the polls in the field prior to the endorsements were showing Blacks coming home and suburban support coalescing around Biden. The results just didn't come out until the day after the endorsements. I know because I unfortunately argued with GoldenOne based on available polling data and within about 2 hours several polls dropped showing a dramatic shift to Biden.
Yogi03
sycasey said:

sycasey said:

Yes. Andrew Yang is behaving rationally.

Some of the more die-hard Bernie fans should learn that lesson.
dimitrig

Driving around my neighborhood (which has a lot of middle class suburban black residents) I see slews of Bernie Sanders signs and bumper stickers. I have seen a handful of Warren signs and even one Mayor Pete sign. I have yet to see a sign for any other Democratic candidates.

In particular, the absence of any Biden signs or stickers is pretty amazing. The next time I see one ANYWHERE will be the first time. I have even seen an old woman wearing a Trump button and car with a Trump bumper sticker (from a SF car dealer no less according to the license plate frame).

Of course, that is anecdotal and I don't know what is going on in other parts of the country but who are these people who are rallying around Biden? Other than Democratic Party leaders and his former opponents I don't really see it happening. Maybe it will happen when he selects a VP.

Yogi03
dimitrig said:

Driving around my neighborhood (which has a lot of middle class suburban black residents) I see slews of Bernie Sanders signs and bumper stickers. I have seen a handful of Warren signs and even one Mayor Pete sign. I have yet to see a sign for any other Democratic candidates.

In particular, the absence of any Biden signs or stickers is pretty amazing. The next time I see one ANYWHERE will be the first time. I have even seen an old woman wearing a Trump button and car with a Trump bumper sticker (from a SF car dealer no less according to the license plate frame).

Of course, that is anecdotal and I don't know what is going on in other parts of the country but who are these people who are rallying around Biden? Other than Democratic Party leaders and his former opponents I don't really see it happening. Maybe it will happen when he selects a VP.
Other states and more rural parts of California, I'd expect.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.