How effective is our "Feel Good Shelter in Place"?

9,321 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sycasey
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess this is about as much self-sacrifice as our society (including me) can accept...

We don't go to work (except for those who do) or socialize outside the family, but tens of thousands of people every day go to the supermarket, a sardine-can like environment that also sells cans of sardines (unless they are all bought up), where we touch the shopping carts, the products and the key pads and pass hundreds of other people who are less than six feet away. Most of us probably wash our hands before and after the trip... maybe 70% of us do it without fail? (possibly too high a %?)

Who among us is really -- for twenty days -- eating just what we have stored in our pantries and freezers? I'm not, certainly. Yuk!

So basically, we're doing everything we can to slow the spread of the virus. Well, as long as it's not TOO inconvenient. I get it; this is about the level to which I am on board, as well. But how effective will it be?
B.A. Bearacus
How effective is testing without tests?
bearister
How about the homeless? Those who work in the industries that shut down and they have no savings and kids to feed? How f'd are they? This public health crisis is going to drive home like nothing else could have the evils of gross wealth inequity. Everyone should be giving to food banks and the billionaires should be chipping in millions and millions. Taxes on the wealthy have to go up, to fund the government virus bailout. There are iceholes complaining they can't go to the gym or play golf.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
B.A. Bearacus said:

Hey, by next month at the latest (or maybe earliest), California (pop. 40 million) will be able to test TEN THOUSAND people a day... or more!!! Please call first, so we know you're coming. Here's the toll-free number: An operator is standing by...
Big C

Let's be real about this. The LAST thing we want to do is test a whole bunch of people: Our numbers would skyrocket!
sycasey
This is still significantly reducing contact between different groups of people, if not a 100% stop to it (which is probably impossible in a place with lots of civil liberties like the USA). Look at how empty the freeways were today. That tells you something.

The perfect is not the enemy of the good.
Bobodeluxe
Yesterday afternoon, walking in the Berkeley hills, there were more folks out than I have ever seen. Most kept well over 6 feet apart, and those who didn't, hugged the edge of the sidewalks. Mostly friendly greetings and nods.

Great Leader is giving himself a ten on handling this situation.

MAGA
GBear4Life
bearister said:

How about the homeless? Those who work in the industries that shut down and they have no savings and kids to feed? How f'd are they? This public health crisis is going to drive home like nothing else could have the evils of gross wealth inequity. Everyone should be giving to food banks and the billionaires should be chipping in millions and millions. Taxes on the wealthy have to go up, to fund the government virus bailout. There are iceholes complaining they can't go to the gym or play golf.
Was this virtue signaling necessary? Why are homeless people, most of whom screwed their own self and their own lot in life, worthy of your violin playing but other people who have contributed to society and indirectly your well being part of the problem if they don't heed your moral compass?
Anarchistbear
Shelter in place makes sense if it is part of a strategy that includes testing, targeting and quarantining in place- similar to what countries with a public health system have done. It then step by step turns large circles into smaller circles. Without that you are banking on either luck or some herd immunity
Big C
Anarchistbear said:

Shelter in place makes sense if it is part of a strategy that includes testing, targeting and quarantining in place- similar to what countries with a public health system have done. It then step by step turns large circles into smaller circles. Without that you are banking on either luck or some herd immunity

Well, NO PROBLEM then, because all I have to do to get tested is call Kaiser's toll free line (a few of you are already laughing, aren't you, well shut up), pass the rigid screening questions and go get tested... and the results should be back in 4-7 days. (I'm not making this up.)

Anarchistbear
Tell them you play in the NBA
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

Well, NO PROBLEM then, because all I have to do to get tested is call Kaiser's toll free line (a few of you are already laughing, aren't you, well shut up), pass the rigid screening questions and go get tested... and the results should be back in 4-7 days. (I'm not making this up.)

I think the rate at which celebrities, athletes, and politicians are reporting testing positive is telling us something about what the most likely rate of infection actually is for people who have access to testing.
bearister
okaydo
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

I think the rate at which celebrities, athletes, and politicians are reporting testing positive is telling us something about what the most likely rate of infection actually is for people who have access to testing.

2 Game of Thrones stars have already tested positive for coronavirus (possibly a third). And the Game of Thrones cast stopped being around each other 6 months ago.
GBear4Life
I see very little indication out in public that people are taking this seriously...I see longer lines at the grocery store but that's about it. Poor social distancing, people touching each other, touching commonly touched objects like it's nothing. These half a s s measures to slow the virus WON'T WORK.
wifeisafurd
My two cents is there was a poster who was talking about everyone having high grade masks making a difference as well as washing your hands endlessly. That sounded like the best advise once we get the masks.
Bobodeluxe
wifeisafurd said:

My two cents is there was a poster who was talking about everyone having high grade make making a difference as well as washing your hands endlessly. That sounded like the best advise once we get the masks.
Que?
Grigsby
Big C said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Hey, by next month at the latest (or maybe earliest), California (pop. 40 million) will be able to test TEN THOUSAND people a day... or more!!! Please call first, so we know you're coming. Here's the toll-free number: An operator is standing by...

Caveat: Tests are only available if you have a fever of 103 and have been sick for a week or more and cake into contact from someone from Wuhan.
going4roses
facts
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

Why are homeless people, most of whom screwed their own self and their own lot in life
So the mentally ill screwed their own self? The economically displaced screwed their own self?

Only the drug addicts fall into the later category and even they deserve some compassion.

Just not Biden and Trump voters.
GBear4Life
Professor David Romer said:

GBear4Life said:

Why are homeless people, most of whom screwed their own self and their own lot in life
So the mentally ill screwed their own self? The economically displaced screwed their own self?

Only the drug addicts fall into the later category and even they deserve some compassion.

Just not Biden and Trump voters.
Good thing no nation-state or community relies on you for their preservation.

Stop it -- mentally ill is a broad term. Most mentally ill aren't co-dependent, nor does their condition inherently render one's self as co dependent. Drug abuse can make you crazy errrrrr "mentally ill".

Again, the temporary homeless have resources. Spare me the economically displaced. These people are not the people you see on the street.

Drug addicts became drug addicts through choices. Let me quit my job, foreclose on my home and squat in front of your house in my own personal meth safe place. And then you go and show me your compassion, ok?
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

Let me quit my job, foreclose on my home and squat in front of your house in my own personal meth safe place. And then you go and show me your compassion, ok?
You need to move to a better neighborhood. Number of drug addicts squatting in front of my house since I bought it equals zero.
GBear4Life

GBear4Life said:

Let me quit my job, foreclose on my home and squat in front of your house in my own personal meth safe place. And then you go and show me your compassion, ok?
You need to move to a better neighborhood. Number of drug addicts squatting in front of my house since I bought it equals zero.
So if it's not a problem YOU deal with it either doesn't exist or isn't a "problem"?

Typical left-wing narcissist

No crack heads where I live, but I did live in SF for 4 years...
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

So if it's not a problem YOU deal with it either doesn't exist or isn't a "problem"?

I'd say the number of meth head squatting in front of houses is fairly low.

In the city? Different situation. Best solution? Arrest them, send them to some place to get off meth that isn't jail.
GBear4Life

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

In the city? Different situation. Best solution? Arrest them, send them to some place to get off meth that isn't jail.
Involuntary "rehab" is a form of "prison". Morever the naive assumption that they all want help. IF they wanted help, there are resources they can access voluntarily. But they have rules. And you have to want help.
Yogi02
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

Involuntary "rehab" is a form of "prison". Morever the naive assumption that they all want help. IF they wanted help, there are resources they can access voluntarily. But they have rules. And you have to want help.
At the point where you're living homeless in the city, you've abandoned your right to choose. You're a public nuisance and a health hazard.
GBear4Life
Professor Harold Hill said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

At the point where you're living homeless in the city, you've abandoned your right to choose. You're a public nuisance and a health hazard.
Correct. I agree. So you segregate them from the community -- with a prison of one form or another. Rehab won't be the appropriate solution for an overwhelming majority of these folks because if they wanted help -- and life off the streets -- they could have gotten it voluntarily.
Yogi02
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

Correct. I agree. So you segregate them from the community -- with a prison of one form or another.
Until they're off the meth. Then you have to figure out how to reintegrate without them repeating the cycle.
GBear4Life

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

Correct. I agree. So you segregate them from the community -- with a prison of one form or another.
Until they're off the meth. Then you have to figure out how to reintegrate without them repeating the cycle.
They won't be. That's the point. If they're mentally healthy, what do you mean reintegrate them into society? That's on them. Left wingers treat drug addicts like minorities: weak, invariably co-dependent.
LMK5

GBear4Life said:

Yes, and when that changes you will change your tune in a Wuhan minute.
Yogi02
LMK5 said:

GBear4Life said:

Nah. My tunes stay incredibly consistent. Unlike Elizabeth Warren.
going4roses
sycasey
going4roses said:

Every once in a while I think that maybe this administration is turning the corner and finally starting to make responsible decisions during this crisis, but then something like this happens.
GBear4Life
LMK5 said:

GBear4Life said:

Left-wing narcissists don't care about the adverse impacts of their "virtue" and "compassion" -- because they always adversely impact other people and other communities.
UrsaMajor
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

They won't be. That's the point. If they're mentally healthy, what do you mean reintegrate them into society? That's on them. Left wingers treat drug addicts like minorities: weak, invariably co-dependent.
So are you suggesting life sentences for being homeless?

As for a prison "of one sort or another," there's already a model for that: Germany in the 30's - 40's.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.