topics

1,185 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yogi04
fredricbear69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Dirt-cheap stocks?" "Selling my equities?" Really?! Very appropriate, very caring.Wow.
Rushinbear
fredricbear69 said:

"Dirt-cheap stocks?" "Selling my equities?" Really?! Very appropriate, very caring.Wow.
What? You want everyone to stop their lives? We've done more in a shorter period of time than any previous epidemic.
Northside91
fredricbear69 said:

Should this forum be a "thoughts and prayers" echo chamber instead?

In times of crisis, people need to make every lawful effort to keep themselves viable - physically, psychologically and financially. No one is proposing to rob little old ladies on ventilators. Is there something wrong with expressing hope that the crisis will eventually lift and proposing to reinvest in the American economy?
LunchTime
Everyone must only be reactive and mentally disturbed verging on a break down.

Anyone being proactive or thinking about anything other than death is a bad person and should feel bad. How dare they.
oskioski
fredricbear69 said:

how did you feel when people were talking about football on november 23rd when cal beat stanfurd. on that day approx 150,000 people died in the world. how incredibly insensitive and uncaring of us.
TandemBear
I can appreciate the point. Profiting off another's misfortune is not a very enviable human trait. However, POTUS did exactly this when he boasted about he great real estate windfalls he realized after the '08 crash. I find it beyond repugnant that he would brag about realizing incredible profit on homes of the foreclosed. And I have a good friend who experienced exactly that. A highly-paid, responsible professional who was suckered by an unethical mortgage "professional" whose only duty was screwing his clients. "Fiduciary?" What a joke.

Somehow we've abandoned higher ideals we once had. We put a man on the moon. We cured Polio. We invented the idea of the National Park. This country had such potential.

Now it's just a landscape to profiteer. If you don't aspire to be obscenely wealthy, you're a LOSER.

I didn't realize to be a patriotic American, I had to embrace selfish aggrandizement and laser-focus on wealth accumulation. That the American Dream was nothing more than beating the Jonses.
Rushinbear
TandemBear said:

I can appreciate the point. Profiting off another's misfortune is not a very enviable human trait. However, POTUS did exactly this when he boasted about he great real estate windfalls he realized after the '08 crash. I find it beyond repugnant that he would brag about realizing incredible profit on homes of the foreclosed. And I have a good friend who experienced exactly that. A highly-paid, responsible professional who was suckered by an unethical mortgage "professional" whose only duty was screwing his clients. "Fiduciary?" What a joke.

Somehow we've abandoned higher ideals we once had. We put a man on the moon. We cured Polio. We invented the idea of the National Park. This country had such potential.

Now it's just a landscape to profiteer. If you don't aspire to be obscenely wealthy, you're a LOSER.

I didn't realize to be a patriotic American, I had to embrace selfish aggrandizement and laser-focus on wealth accumulation. That the American Dream was nothing more than beating the Jonses.
You just couldn't resist, could you. A good friend didn't protect himself adequately and you blame it on Trump...and air it here. SMH.
LunchTime
TandemBear said:

Suddenly I feel like I have have no common ground with some of you people.

You reference a period of time kicked off by a Kennedy (putting a man on the moon) who's father made a killing timing the crash of '29 correctly (similar to the "selling equities" thread about valuations getting out of hand), and then bought foreclosed property during the depression (similar to the undervalued assets thread).

The son of that man used that "immoral" fortune to be buy himself into a place to drive us to put a man on the moon. That is the example of the "higher ideals we once had?" What the hell?

I could understand if you said it was always like this. That JFK is no better than Trump in this regard, but to pretend that this isnt how the world (not just America) works while citing exact examples of outcomes from this behavior is intellectually dishonest, or wildly ignorant.
LunchTime
71Bear
LunchTime said:

TandemBear said:

You reference a period of time kicked off by a Kennedy (putting a man on the moon) who's father made a killing timing the crash of '29 correctly (similar to the "selling equities" thread about valuations getting out of hand), and then bought foreclosed property during the depression.

The son of that man used that fortune to be buy himself into a place to drive us to put a man on the moon.

I could understand if you said it was always like this. That JFK is no better than Trump in this regard, but to pretend that this isnt how the world (not just America) works while citing exact examples of outcomes from this behavior is intellectually dishonest, or wildly ignorant.

Hmmm...

You cite an example of a man who believed in the application of scientific concepts to the task of safely transporting humankind to the moon and back v. another man who lacks the intelligence to grasp basic scientific concepts as they relate to the health and safety of the world's population.

Interesting....
Northside91
Trump spasm. It's like Tourettes.

You know what? It doesn't matter. He can continue to make whatever inane, overstated comments he wants. He can hold pressers all day sounding like a mo and getting asked stupid questions by sneering trust baby journalists from WaPo and the NYT. It won't change the reality of this situation one bit.

The lowest of low tech solutions is in our hands. If we could collectively just put our big boy and big girl pants on for 3 freaking weeks and stay out of each others airspace, this situation would be largely (though not competely) resolved. No gleaming hospital ships, no need for 50 trillion N95 masks, no runs on TP, and no overflowing ERs.

But no. We need to hike Mt. Tam en masse, crowd beaches, play pick-up basketball, throng Costco for vats of mayo and hamburger buns. And of course, Trump tantrum in the driveway with our neighbors at minimum unsafe distance.

Yeah, it's all about the orange a-hole, to our very last gasping breath.....History is going to judge us very, very harshly. There's no doubt in my mind.
LunchTime
71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

TandemBear said:

You reference a period of time kicked off by a Kennedy (putting a man on the moon) who's father made a killing timing the crash of '29 correctly (similar to the "selling equities" thread about valuations getting out of hand), and then bought foreclosed property during the depression.

The son of that man used that fortune to be buy himself into a place to drive us to put a man on the moon.

Hmmm...

You cite an example of a man who believed in the application of scientific concepts to the task of safely transporting humankind to the moon and back v. another man who lacks the intelligence to grasp basic scientific concepts as they relate to the health and safety of the world's population.

Interesting....
Was that the argument I was responding to?

No it was not. The argument was profiting off of foreclosed property. An example of better times was a JFK intuitive.

Let me break it down for you, since you have an understanding of context about as well developed as Trump:

OP said: "Profiting off another's misfortune is not a very enviable human trait. However, However, POTUS did exactly this when he boasted about he great real estate windfalls he realized after the '08 crash."

Fair enough. Thats not cool to profit off of misery and foreclosure. I can accept that as a legitimate argument

Then he said: "Somehow we've abandoned higher ideals we once had."

What the ****? The implication is that this type of thing is new. That we once had better ideals. That we didnt used to celebrate that kind of profiting, and reward it with the presidency. Well, we always have. Mankind, Americans, etc always have.

And he follows with: "We put a man on the moon."

Now, hold on. This takes the cake for ignorance or dishonesty. No one would claim that Nixon created this moment. Almost everyone would claim that JFK's defining drive towards this goal got us there. The only realistic driver of that "higher ideal" could reasonable be JFK. But, how did JFK become president? How did that entire family become American Royalty and entrench themselves in politics? Selling equities earlier than everyone else, and using that profit to buy properties that everyone else lost.

Exactly what is being argued is the outcome of abandoned ideals.

But thats a cool attempt to move the goal posts. FFS, I even said "in this regard" to make it clear for even the most simple posters among us, and you still were unable to avoid pulling this BS. All he, and this entire thread, was alluding to was the morality of profit seeking. And his first example of a better time was the outcome of one of the most famous profit taking families there has been in the US.

Interesting indeed.

The intellectual dishonesty here in favor of "Orange man bad" is disturbing.

Yes, Orange man bad. No, Kennedy family is not better in regards to gobbling up property after people lost it to a crash.
71Bear
LunchTime said:

71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

TandemBear said:

Hmmm...

Interesting....

No it was not. The argument was profiting off of foreclosed property. An example of better times was a JFK intuitive.

Let me break it down for you, since you have an understanding of context about as well developed as Trump:

OP said: "Profiting off another's misfortune is not a very enviable human trait. However, However, POTUS did exactly this when he boasted about he great real estate windfalls he realized after the '08 crash."

Fair enough. Thats not cool to profit off of misery and foreclosure. I can accept that as a legitimate argument

What the ****? The implication is that this type of thing is new. That we once had better ideals. That we didnt used to celebrate that kind of profiting, and reward it with the presidency. Well, we always have. Mankind, Americans, etc always have.

Now, hold on. This takes the cake for ignorance or dishonesty. No one would claim that Nixon created this moment. Almost everyone would claim that JFK's defining drive towards this goal got us there. The only realistic driver of that "higher ideal" could reasonable be JFK. But, how did JFK become president? How did that entire family become American Royalty and entrench themselves in politics? Selling equities earlier than everyone else, and using that profit to buy properties that everyone else lost.

But thats a cool attempt to move the goal posts. FFS, I even said "in this regard" to make it clear for even the most simple posters among us, and you still were unable to avoid pulling this BS. All he, and this entire thread, was alluding to was the morality of profit seeking. And his first example of a better time was the outcome of one of the most famous profit taking families there has been in the US.

Interesting indeed.

Yes, Orange man bad. No, Kennedy family is not better in regards to gobbling up property after people lost it to a crash.
Oh, ok. The beauty of any discussion regarding the current incumbent is the gap that cannot be bridged. That is the basic problem. He has created an environment that is toxic to rational conversation. Oh well, come January, the U.S. will get the leader it deserves (just like 2017). In other words, this country is headed down the dumper. I feel badly for the next generation. They have an enormous burden that my generation is leaving behind....
Rushinbear
LunchTime said:

71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

TandemBear said:

Hmmm...

Interesting....

Interesting indeed.

If all people acted morally and refused to buy distressed properties, as has been proscribed here, the sellers would be consigned to poverty and no one would buy property that wasn't a lay-down and only from a wealthy buyer who knowingly and willingly was selling below market.

Why do I get the feeling that it wouldn't matter what the reason, some people would find a pretext, any pretext, to attack anyone and anything with which their worldview differed?
Yogi04
LunchTime said:

Orange man is bad. All other families of previous presidents nowhere near as bad. All other presidents nowhere near as bad. Now THAT is intellectual dishonesty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.