Now is a good time to reconsider Medicare For All

1,443 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yogi04
Cave Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
COVID has put a spotlight on the risks of an inadequate medical infrastructure during a pandemic. A large measure of the additional doctors, nurses, facilities and equipment wanted to fight COVID would already exist with the trillions of dollars of added long-term investment in the health sector that would be mandated by a robust Medicare For All scheme (my preference is for variants that allow for continuing optional private insurance).

American nationalists who would otherwise not support any M4A scheme should be lobbied with the national security benefits (including economic security) of a stronger health care system and a more healthy national populace. COVID is bad enough, imagine if the next global pandemic is something like Ebola with its 50% mortality rate. Imagine how terribly quickly treatment centers would get overrun in such a pandemic, how quickly shortages of medical workers, equipment and beds would start amplifying the damage.

Nationalists should also be reminded that for the nation as an entity, "affording" quality universal healthcare is a red herring in the first place. The revenues spent on M4A would feed the nation with jobs and contracts. The salaries paid to doctors, nurses, PAs, PTs, techs, orderlies, clerks, administrators, etc stimulates real economic growth, as do the salaries of the construction workers who build the new facilities and the manufacturing workers who produce the new equipment (which should be mandated by law to come from domestic suppliers). Laissez-faire ideologues will naturally object but they should be shut down with the obvious truth that the level of private-sector investment in healthcare is obviously insufficient to meet the needs of the nation, the result of the market being unable to fulfill services that are not immediately profitable (like treatment for people who cannot pay).

The healthcare system should also be nationalized (that should be a no-brainer, but conservatism) and the state should dictate prices to its medical suppliers (i.e. cost plus a very modest profit margin) including big pharma.
Go!Bears
Nobody is replying, because you are making too much sense. There is no riposte.
Go!Bears
I stand corrected. No intelligent riposte.
Anarchistbear
Former Vice President Joe Biden suggested that he would veto the universal health-care legislation known as "Medicare for All" championed by his Democratic presidential primary rival Sen. Bernie Sanders, citing costs.

"Nancy Pelosi gets a version of it through the House of Representatives. It comes to your desk. Do you veto it?" MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell asked Biden during an interview Monday night.

"I would veto anything that delays providing the security and the certainty of health care being available now," Biden responded. "If they got that through in by some miracle or there's an epiphany that occurred and some miracle occurred that said, 'OK, it's passed,' then you got to look at the cost."

Biden added: "I want to know, how did they find $35 trillion? What is that doing? Is it going to significantly raise taxes on the middle class, which it will? What's going to happen?"
FuzzyWuzzy
Go!Bears said:

I'm seeing many posts disappear. Like the one you replied to.
BearForce2
FuzzyWuzzy
BearForce2 said:

I believe the OP's suggestion was Medicare for All not VA for all, but nice try at distracting, deflecting and inflaming.

Yogi04
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Go!Bears said:

I'm seeing many posts disappear. Like the one you replied to.
The butt-hurt is strong with some folks. Apparently they don't like people who tell their writers to spell-check their articles before posting.
BearChemist
FuzzyWuzzy said:

BearForce2 said:

I believe the OP's suggestion was Medicare for All not VA for all, but nice try at distracting, deflecting and inflaming.

Do you know BearForce2 just today?
FuzzyWuzzy
BearChemist said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

BearForce2 said:

Do you know BearForce2 just today?
I do not. Should I?
AunBear89
Not much to know, really. RWNJ with no real opinions of his own - just what he's told to think by those dope memes he thinks are SOOOOOO smart and funny.

Basically, when considering the tripe he regurgitates, consider the source.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
dimitrig
BearForce2 said:

I actually had an opportunity to spend time at a VA Hospital (Long Beach) last fall when a family member who had served was admitted for a few days. I would not say it was the best experience I ever had at a hospital, but neither was it some sort of horror story.

The VA gets a bad rap primarily because they have a lot of veterans (duh!) as clients who feel the government owes them more than they are eligible for as a result of their service. A social worker I talked to said that many people (especially older men) want care (such as in home health care) for injuries or health problems that were not sustained as a result of active duty and are denied. That is not the mission of the VA and so it is a policy decision more than a medical decision.

If I had a choice of any hospital in the world for medical treatment I would not want to be treated at a VA Hospital, but I would take it over some of the rinky dink small town hospitals I have been to any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Yogi04
dimitrig said:

BearForce2 said:

I actually had an opportunity to spend time at a VA Hospital (Long Beach) last fall when a family member who had served was admitted for a few days. I would not say it was the best experience I ever had at a hospital, but neither was it some sort of horror story.

The VA gets a bad rap primarily because they have a lot of veterans (duh!) as clients who feel the government owes them more than they are eligible for as a result of their service. A social worker I talked to said that many people (especially older men) want care (such as in home health care) for injuries or health problems that were not sustained as a result of active duty and are denied. That is not the mission of the VA and so it is a policy decision more than a medical decision.

If I had a choice of any hospital in the world for medical treatment I would not want to be treated at a VA Hospital, but I would take it over some of the rinky dink small town hospitals I have been to any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If someone serves in the military in a government sanctioned war, they are entitled to free medical care for any issue for life in my opinion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.