The so-called stimulus

2,023 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bearister
LMK5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Professor Richard Eakin said:

From a real-life Cal fan and former BI poster (who no longer posts here for obvious reasons) in Discord who I would definitely trust on our so-called "bailout."

My neighbor is very active in the national restaurant lobby - just gave me a play-by-play of what they did and how it went down. He's going to get $12M personally, which allows him to run his business at 75% operating margins for a good long time. What a ****ing scam

It's an interest-free government loan that's FORGIVEN if he keeps operating the business he would keep operating anyway. He has to keep operating for a few months. If he closes locations, he has to pay parts of the loan back - but he won't. He's bound by leases and other commitments.

They're paying him a ****-ton to do what he would have done already We just had a drink over it. He's giddy.
And since his locations have quickly pivoted to takeout (which is booming) - he's already at break-even. So he's not even hurting from any of this

The gift to you is that you get to pay your fair share of the $6 Trillion.
It's $18,000 per person IN AMERICA

But since less than half of Americans pay a single dollar in income tax, it's closer to $40,000 from EVERY taxpayer. It's the greatest theft of wealth in the history of the world

The bill has money for PBS. Money for The Kennedy Center. It's a giant pile of pork-grift bull*****

Folks, this is what your representative in government do in a crisis. These are the people YOU keep re-electing because you don't pay attention to their grift and make them pay at the ballot box. And now people who don't need it are getting millions while the folks who need it are getting crumbs.
Stop voting for centrists and Republicans. They do not have your interests at heart.
Nice try. The bill passed 96-0 in the Senate and by overwhelming voice vote in the House. The only vocal opposition in the House was a Republican LOL.
AunBear89
It passed unanimously because to vote against anything in this current climate would amount to political suicide as low information citizens such as you read only the title of the bill and not the substance.

This stimulus basically writes a bunch of blank checks that Trump can now dole out to all his oligarch buddies and campaign contributors . With ZERO OVERSIGHT! How is that a good thing?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
LMK5
AunBear89 said:

It passed unanimously because to vote against anything in this current climate would amount to political suicide as low information citizens such as you read only the title of the bill and not the substance.

This stimulus basically writes a bunch of blank checks that Trump can now dole out to all his oligarch buddies and campaign contributors . With ZERO OVERSIGHT! How is that a good thing?
There is no perfect way to do it but IMO the best way, for people still working, would have been to fill out a form like the colleges use for expected family contribution for financial aid purposes. It only takes 5 minutes to fill out. If you don't fill out the form you get no stimulus. Other than that, I think extending and increasing the unemployment benefits make sense. Also, giving businesses a way to keep operating while under government orders to stop or limit operations has to be done. After all, if employers aren't kept afloat then the workers have no place to return to when things get going again.

I think handing out checks to people because they show low income without taking into account expenses or net assets is the worst part of the stimulus package and cheats the people who need it most.
golden sloth
Yea, my parents who retired and at one point a few years ago owned three houses get a stimulus check, while me and my older brother who cant afford condos within an hour of work will not. Yes, we haven't been impacted by the coronavirus yet and we aren't the target of the stimulus, but something still doesnt seem right about that.
sp4149
I won't be getting a check because I turned 70 last year and had to start withdrawing my late wife's IRA to send to her granddaughters as they turn 25. So I have to pay tax on their money and it boosts my income bracket. plus I lost $22K in deductions which also increased my adjusted gross income.

Another big beneficiary is Boeing after their mismanagement of the 737 Max rollout they will be getting more stimulus money than the state of California. Incompetence rewarded.
LMK5
sp4149 said:

I won't be getting a check because I turned 70 last year and had to start withdrawing my late wife's IRA to send to her granddaughters as they turn 25. So I have to pay tax on their money and it boosts my income bracket. plus I lost $22K in deductions which also increased my adjusted gross income.

Another big beneficiary is Boeing after their mismanagement of the 737 Max rollout they will be getting more stimulus money than the state of California. Incompetence rewarded.
To go along with what you mentioned about turning 70, a person who is 69 with substantial retirement assets but modest income (a very common scenario) will get a stimulus check. That same person, had they been over 70.5 and required to take RMDs may very well be over the income limit for a stimulus check. That's how unsophisticated--and unfair--the plan is.
Anarchistbear
Where the "stimulus" goes and don't complain there were no dissenting voices

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUD_63oXgAMCYtA?format=png&name=small
Yogi04
Anarchistbear said:

LMAO. Bloomberg.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Professor Henry Higgins said:

Anarchistbear said:

LMAO. Bloomberg.
Can you point to anything that's wrong in that graphic?
Yogi04
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

LMAO. Bloomberg.
They left out lots of stuff being paid by the stimulus that has nothing to do with financially supporting families with a loss of income They gave millions to the Kennedy Center, who then immediately laid off their orchestra.
Anarchistbear
I got it from David Sirota who is a senior advisor to Sanders.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota
Eastern Oregon Bear

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

LMAO. Bloomberg.
They left out lots of stuff being paid by the stimulus that has nothing to do with financially supporting families with a loss of income They gave millions to the Kennedy Center, who then immediately laid off their orchestra.
I don't think they had room for a 20 foot by 30 foot graphic.
heartofthebear
Anarchistbear said:

The 2 Trillion is not even the half of it, literally. There's an additional 4 trillion that the treasury department can use with "discretion" for businesses, mostly big business. This is off the books money that cannot be accounted for other than that it is tax payer paid.
GBear4Life
bearister
Tax change in coronavirus package overwhelmingly benefits millionaires, congressional body finds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/tax-change-in-coronavirus-package-overwhelmingly-benefits-millionaires-congressional-body-finds/ar-BB12BVAL?ocid=spartandhp
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.