More ridiculousness from California

23,455 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A message from my uncle who's been a dentist in San Jose for +30 years.

Received an email from the local dental society saying a limited amount of PPE may be obtained by dentists through the County Emergency Operations Center.
Filled the form and emailed.
Got a response asking for our address for billing purposes.
Emailed back and asked about the costs for those items.
Received a response from the County Emergency Operations Center:
"Sorry-we won't know until the items are procured."
It gets even better! So I asked if the cost ends up being too high, can we return the items?
They answered:
"No. Please let us know if you would like to cancel your request."
What the hell does that mean? The items must come from the State of California. Who sets the price and how much?
Are we part of a mafia operation or something?
You may want to know that when SIP started, the Governor's office took all the PPE which belonged to dentists in order to divert them to the medical professionals. He then paid tons of money to order masks from China.
Just lost my respect for Newsom!

Seriously how the fuuuck is this even legal? What level of stupidity have we finally achieved?

golden sloth
Are you sure this was from your uncle from san Jose and not a Nigerian prince?
dajo9
Someone should tell your uncle about Covid-19 and how it has created a national shortage of PPE equipment.
American Vermin
BearNIt
hanky1 said:

A message from my uncle who's been a dentist in San Jose for +30 years.

Received an email from the local dental society saying a limited amount of PPE may be obtained by dentists through the County Emergency Operations Center.
Filled the form and emailed.
Got a response asking for our address for billing purposes.
Emailed back and asked about the costs for those items.
Received a response from the County Emergency Operations Center:
"Sorry-we won't know until the items are procured."
It gets even better! So I asked if the cost ends up being too high, can we return the items?
They answered:
"No. Please let us know if you would like to cancel your request."
What the hell does that mean? The items must come from the State of California. Who sets the price and how much?
Are we part of a mafia operation or something?
You may want to know that when SIP started, the Governor's office took all the PPE which belonged to dentists in order to divert them to the medical professionals. He then paid tons of money to order masks from China.
Just lost my respect for Newsom!

Seriously how the fuuuck is this even legal? What level of stupidity have we finally achieved?

Sorry to hear about your problems trying to procure cost-effective PPE. Wouldn't the federal government have made procurement easier and more cost-effective if they had taken the reigns from the outset and purchased PPE on a national basis rather then have each state, hospital. business, and FEMA all trying to secure their individual supplies. What you are experiencing is what the individual states have experienced. They negotiate for supplies, are confirmed for receipt of those supplies, and then FEMA swoops in and commandeers the order leaving the states high and dry and left to try to secure supplies which they have already paid for. California is in a marketplace where 50 states, the U.S. territories, FEMA, and every other country in the world are all bidding against each other for the same supplies. PPE is still being rationed at my location a designated COVID 19 Hospital. All the tennents of infection control are being thrown out of the window as we go through this. Staff is purchasing their own PPE in some cases or in addition to. This is the new normal that we now operate in.
AunBear89
Yet, according to our resident RWNJs, it's Newsom's fault.

Or Obama's. Take your pick. One size fits all.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2

There's an oversupply of these in California. I suggest folks here stock up for the next 4+ years.
BearForce2
https://abc7.com/coronavirus-unemployment-covid19-los-angeles-county-la/6115424/

Quote:

A new national survey says only 45% of people in Los Angeles County still have a job amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Quote:

The survey shows minorities have been significantly impacted by job losses. African-Americans are more likely to have lost their jobs followed by Latinos.
BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

Yet, according to our resident RWNJs, it's Newsom's fault.

Or Obama's. Take your pick. One size fits all.
California is all yours. You need to look within and be accountable to yourselves, there's nobody else to blame.

California's Warning Signs for Democrats

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/opinion/california-special-election-democrats.html
dajo9
BearForce2 said:

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-unemployment-covid19-los-angeles-county-la/6115424/

Quote:

A new national survey says only 45% of people in Los Angeles County still have a job amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Quote:

The survey shows minorities have been significantly impacted by job losses. African-Americans are more likely to have lost their jobs followed by Latinos.

The damage Trump's incompetence has caused will be with us many years longer than Trump
American Vermin
GBear4Life
dajo9 said:

BearForce2 said:

Quote:

Quote:

The damage Trump's incompetence has caused will be with us many years longer than Trump
I've never see so much apologetics and whataboutism than from dajo
BearForce2
dajo9 said:

BearForce2 said:

Quote:

Quote:

GBear4Life
Virtually all 50 states are opening up.

All of a sudden the SIP fundamentalists have gone mum on the topic.
Big C
GBear4Life said:

As we were flattening the virus curve, they fell behind the learning curve (imo).

We need to try this, but let's do it intelligently and realize we may need to go back, worst case scenariio. Hopefully though, when a second wave hits, we'll be much more prepared than we were in March.
BearNIt
GBear4Life said:

It's not that we have gone silent, it's that we are waiting to see what is going to happen. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Staying inside won't kill you but contracting COVID 19 might. Your chances of contracting COVID 19 are reduced if you SIP. Why roll the dice or become a crash-test dummy? There are others who are willing to be the canaries in the coal mine.
smh
BearNIt said:

It's not that we have gone silent, it's that we are waiting to see what is going to happen. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best..
YouBetYourLife Groucho style "say the magic word(s) and win a prize" earns yet another reposting of the glorrrrious classic 3min MelBrooks jingle,, sorrry guys..

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
GBear4Life
BearNIt said:

GBear4Life said:

It's not that we have gone silent, it's that we are waiting to see what is going to happen. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Staying inside won't kill you but contracting COVID 19 might. Your chances of contracting COVID 19 are reduced if you SIP. Why roll the dice or become a crash-test dummy? There are others who are willing to be the canaries in the coal mine.
None of the threads were about what you or anybody else should do. Because nobody cares. It's your choice.

It was about fundamentalists weak appeals to safety and the narrow objective of SIP to advocate for the continued forced closure and severely limiting movements.

Now that the government, including those lauded for backing the "science", are starting to lift SIP, the outrage has (seemingly) disappeared. It's like the will to stand up for that deeply held perspective is lost. .
Quote:

Staying inside won't kill you but contracting COVID 19 might. Your chances of contracting COVID 19 are reduced if you SIP
This is your choice and it's no skin off anybody's back. But the fundamentalists were using similarly weak and, when applied to similar analogous scenarios, irrational logic to justify why the government should force everyone else to adhere to such practices. By the above logic, you'd never be justified in leaving your house. EVER. The examples of this are infinite. It's not a logical argument as a matter of public policy or city ordinance.

Again, nobody cares if individuals choose to be more cautious, however irrational or smart anybody else may find it.

But by all means stay home. It will mean less crowds for the rest of us. I don't object.

Yogi3
Big C said:

GBear4Life said:

As we were flattening the virus curve, they fell behind the learning curve (imo).

We need to try this, but let's do it intelligently and realize we may need to go back, worst case scenariio. Hopefully though, when a second wave hits, we'll be much more prepared than we were in March.
Ignored for a week for responding to GB4L
BearForce2
Religious services bad.

Violent protests? We rather not have them but we understand people are angry so carry on.

BearForce2
Federal officer killed, another injured in shooting amid protests in Oakland.

Homeland Security officials say fatal shooting of federal officer in Oakland Friday was 'domestic terrorism''.

How come the race of the officer and the shooter isn't being discussed? It's not important all of a sudden? Is it because we don't have video evidence of the shooting? This is all sick stuff.

BearForce2
BearForce2
Surely the Democrats of California can come together and say we politicians are not racists but the cops are.

Where's Kamala Harris? Surely, she can bring down the temperature.
Where's Dianne Feinstein? Why does she have a job?
Where's Nancy Pelosi? Chinatown but what about Oaktown?
Where's Adam Schiff? Too busy looking through transcripts for Russia collusion?
BearForce2
BearForce2 said:

Surely the Democrats of California can come together and say we politicians are not racists but the cops are.

Dianne Feinstein was too caught up with her husband just getting cleared from making pre-coronavirus stock trades.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-05-26/feinstein-cleared-by-justice-department-for-husbands-stock-trades
LMK5
Today I witnessed California State Police dispersing Carlsbad beach goers while 1.5 hours north LA was being burned and looted.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
BearNIt
BearForce2 said:

Where's a President who gives a **** about unarmed people getting murdered again, and again, and again?
LMK5
BearNIt said:

GBear4Life said:

Not according to Andrew Cuomo:https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

From your logic you could state that you should stay out of your car also. Why be a crash-test dummy?
BearNIt
LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

GBear4Life said:

Not according to Andrew Cuomo:https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

From your logic you could state that you should stay out of your car also. Why be a crash-test dummy?
How do you think those individuals staying at home who are contracting are getting sick? It's not like the virus is magically coming through their cell phones. There has to be an introduction of the virus through some vector. Although they are trying to stay in I would bet that they are coming into contact with family members or others who may be asymptomatic. It's extremely difficult for an infection to take place in a closed system, it has to be introduced into that closed system.

As far as my comments regarding why be a crash test dummy, following your logic you could stay out of your car and walk or take public transportation where you wanted to go eliminating the need to be a crash test dummy. That is not what I meant, what meant is that there is no need to be the first one out there when there are others who are more than willing to take that risk while you sit back and evaluate the situation to see if it's safe.

LMK5
BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

GBear4Life said:

How do you think those individuals staying at home who are contracting are getting sick? It's not like the virus is magically coming through their cell phones. There has to be an introduction of the virus through some vector. Although they are trying to stay in I would bet that they are coming into contact with family members or others who may be asymptomatic. It's extremely difficult for an infection to take place in a closed system, it has to be introduced into that closed system.

As far as my comments regarding why be a crash test dummy, following your logic you could stay out of your car and walk or take public transportation where you wanted to go eliminating the need to be a crash test dummy. That is not what I meant, what meant is that there is no need to be the first one out there when there are others who are more than willing to take that risk while you sit back and evaluate the situation to see if it's safe.

Sure, I understand what you're trying to say. But think about how ridiculous this all is. Cuomo certainly could have explained that 66% away just like you're attempting to, but he didn't. He has access to all the necessary data but didn't present any explanation on national TV. If your theory is correct, wouldn't Cuomo have also at least taken a swipe using similar logic? Don't you at least find his bewilderment eye-opening?

Some people have the luxury--or think they do--of sitting at home waiting for the all clear from Mr. science and data himself. They think the unemployment or PPP checks will last forever. But in the mean time, don't you find it a little humorous that people are being harassed by their leaders for opening their barber shop or sitting on a beach while our cities are on fire? I literally witnessed CA State Police chasing people off the Carlsbad State Beach yesterday because they were sitting on the beach, while riots were occurring in LA just up Interstate 5.
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

GBear4Life said:

Sure, I understand what you're trying to say. But think about how ridiculous this all is. Cuomo certainly could have explained that 66% away just like you're attempting to, but he didn't. He has access to all the necessary data but didn't present any explanation on national TV. If your theory is correct, wouldn't Cuomo have also at least taken a swipe using similar logic? Don't you at least find his bewilderment eye-opening?

Some people have the luxury--or think they do--of sitting at home waiting for the all clear from Mr. science and data himself. They think the unemployment or PPP checks will last forever. But in the mean time, don't you find it a little humorous that people are being harassed by their leaders for opening their barber shop or sitting on a beach while our cities are on fire? I literally witnessed CA State Police chasing people off the Carlsbad State Beach yesterday because they were sitting on the beach, while riots were occurring in LA just up Interstate 5.
I continue to witness people whining about the difficulty of getting a haircut (which is possible in 47 out of 58 counties in the state), while COVID cases are on the rise and we are closing in on 4,000 people dead in Southern California alone.

Does anyone else remember when America used to win at things? What happened to our culture? When did we decide that winning was too hard and that we were better off giving up when things got difficult? The world is laughing at us, not with us.
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

GBear4Life said:

I continue to witness people whining about the difficulty of getting a haircut (which is possible in 47 out of 58 counties in the state), while COVID cases are on the rise and we are closing in on 4,000 people dead in Southern California alone.

Does anyone else remember when America used to win at things? What happened to our culture? When did we decide that winning was too hard and that we were better off giving up when things got difficult? The world is laughing at us, not with us.
We had a huge win on Saturday that went unnoticed. Two brave men were propelled by a US-made rocket to the International Space Station, but my family had to watch it on Discovery Channel because none of the major media outlets wanted to broadcast it live. They knew that no one was interested.

We're all invested in swipes and clicks and cheap, instant gratification that holds no real value. Despite people crying poverty, the real problem in America is that we're too well off, and we've become interested only in our little, clickable world. There's very little community. It's the same reason people don't want to show up to Cal football games. They don't see the thrill in mass collaboration towards a common cause. Our selfish individualism is finally coming home to bite us.

This has happened to every empire in world history, but betting against America has never been a profitable undertaking.
smh
watch it with the we Carp whi*te m*an.
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

BearNIt said:

GBear4Life said:

We had a huge win on Saturday that went unnoticed. Two brave men were propelled by a US-made rocket to the International Space Station, but my family had to watch it on Discovery Channel because none of the major media outlets wanted to broadcast it live. They knew that no one was interested.

We're all invested in swipes and clicks and cheap, instant gratification that holds no real value. Despite people crying poverty, the real problem in America is that we're too well off, and we've become interested only in our little, clickable world. There's very little community. It's the same reason people don't want to show up to Cal football games. They don't see the thrill in mass collaboration towards a common cause. Our selfish individualism is finally coming home to bite us.

This has happened to every empire in world history, but betting against America has never been a profitable undertaking.
Great example. Prior to the launch yesterday, Russia had launched the last 30+ shuttles to ISS. This is why I'm saying we don't win any more. We first sent a shuttle to ISS in 1998 so doing it again, in and of itself, isn't winning for our country.

It was great for spacex and Elon Musk (an immigrant), but what makes this a win for the US? Russia, which is a dumpster fire of a country is able to regularly send shuttles to ISS so how is this worth a celebration? The fact that spacex and its engineers were able to create a solution that allows for the partial reuse of the capsule is definitely a breakthrough whose benefits will largely accrue to spacex employees and stockholders. I'm not saying that people can't have some pride in the accomplishment, but it would be like celebrating Apple building a phone in the US.
kelly09
I'm a conservative Repub. that said, Trump is an idiot! Worse than he are the progerssive mayors and governors in he blue states. I'm just sick of this. If we don 't find leaders who can lead, and don't change this poisonous culture, we are doomed.
The Republican party has ben shanghiaed by this clown and the Dems have no one. Somebody serious from the GOP has to step up now.
smh
kelly09 said:

I'm a conservative Repub. that said, Trump is an idiot! Worse than he are the progerssive mayors and governors in he blue states. I'm just sick of this. If we don 't find leaders who can lead, and don't change this poisonous culture, we are doomed.

The Republican party has ben shanghiaed by this clown and the Dems have no one. Somebody serious from the GOP has to step up now.
pardon with the odious comparison (nothing personal) but there's a weird echo going around, last heard in central europe after mid twentieth century Troubles. turns out, a wowser, upstanding nationals hadn't done anything wrong / weren't responsible for all the bad stuff went down.

these days the only remains of a hollowed out grand old party is deranged T, sorry 'bout that.

(to be fair our president better channels bully mussolini than hitler)
BearForce2
BearNIt said:

BearForce2 said:

Where's a President who gives a **** about unarmed people getting murdered again, and again, and again?
I thought Hitler was supposed to be impeached, really, you're waiting for his leadership? Maybe you should care about your own Democrat leaders whom you have elected year after year?

GBear4Life
BI made a fuss about a small group of old folks standing in front of a waffle house standing up for the "right to eat waffles" and a defiance towards social distancing , SIP and mask wearing.

Juxtapose that with the domestic terrorism going on and their responses to it. It'd be amusing if their approval and ambivalence towards such violence and anarchy wasn't resulting in so much harm.

Maybe we're giving the board too much credit and must remind them that it is NOT a logical or political inconsistency to A) unequivocally condemn violent riots and terrorism and B) believing in the SJW social-political ideology. They'd be wrong about the latter, but these two perspectives are not mutually exclusive. Holding position A does not in and of itself discredit holding position B.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.