My President

75,090 Views | 811 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

smh said:

Big C said:

It might get ugly.
might? MIGHT?? imo BigC that ship sailed months ago, or more than once.

Yeah, 2020's been an ugly mess, for sure, but I'm referring to when Trump leaves office. I think there's a chance it might even happen before next January 20th. His support seems to be eroding, daily.

Are you speculating cold storage in The Bunker pending changing of the guard?

...or an Et tu, Brute? moment from Republican senators a feared of getting sucked into the dustbin of history with him?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
smh
bearister said:

> Are you speculating cold storage in The Bunker pending changing of the guard?

^^ nice

on cybears # Speculations R US.
(is all i got, sorry B).
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Divider in chief.

His law and order message will far better received than is perceived on this site.
We all have our bubbles. We all see things based on our peers. IMO, your generation still expects that following generations will ultimately view things the way yours does. I think that it may be better received among your peers, but not nearly so much among mine and definitely not among those younger than me. No major leader has taken the line to go out and shoot protesters. The views of law enforcement in the 60's have been rejected as ineffective for decades. I don't think Gen-X and younger are going to be nearly as susceptible to this message than you think.

I could definitely be wrong. We shall see.
I'm assuming we can agree that he gave an incredibly divisive speech?

As to your main point, for the last decade I kept hearing that demographic changes will mean a change in government and policy, and yet here we are. My favorite is demographic changes will make Texas a blue state - heard that one for 20 years plus running now. The generation discussion is strange. The generation above me was in the streets demonstrating in college against war and social injustice, yet they have turned conservative. We were not exactly a conservative bastion when I went to Cal, but again wherever my generation (whatever it is called - trail or post boomers?) also became more conservative. I mean I have black and gay friends who voted for Trump. so yes we all have bubbles and generational stuff.

As for the younger - and I assume younger voters are you talking about, let me quote Churchill: "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

The question for you is do our voting patterns really change drastically as we age and if that's the case, will Millennials be the generation that bucks the trend by not becoming more conservative as they get older?

Some Pew stuff since I know you ardently read polls:

"In 2007, 68 percent of that generation's respondents wanted "a bigger government providing more services." That number for Millennials dipped to 57 percent ten years later still the largest percentage among any demographic, but also the only generation to show a decreased interest in the idea of bigger government.
Following other generations, Millennials are also more likely to say it's important to protect the rights of Americans to own guns than to control gun ownership (27 percent in 2007, 43 percent in 2017). As well, support for government aid for the needy has decreased, although support for gay marriage, marijuana legalization and abortion has increased for Millennials over the past ten years. Somewhat of a mixed bag on the wedge issue. The generation still leans more Democratic. That mixed bag may reflect the increased racial and ethnic diversity in younger generations 40 percent of Millennials are non-white, the highest share among the adult generations. So I don't know either.

But I suspect there is a large portion of the population this played very well with, as well as those impacted directly by the rioting and looting. There are a lot more of Hankie's pictures than those shown by Okaydo on the internet. TV was absurd. Two nights ago all they showed on every LA station was revolving shots of violent demonstrators and property burning. For hours. Maybe there is a more diverse view on public radio (thought they had a lot of angry callers about the police not protecting their cities from rioters). Let me repspectfully submit to you this site is not representative.

WIAF - I wanted to come back to this in thinking about it more.

Again, older generations control the questions and the definitions. That doesn't make them the right questions. The fake Churchill quote just isn't at play on this issue.

What older people define as "liberal" and "conservative" are not the end all. They tend to maintain the definitions of their youth whether they are inherently accurate. Gun rights are not inherently liberal or conservative.

Millenials and particularly Zoomers have some specific characteristics that are holding. They are less religious for instance.

But maybe the biggest point is they do not believe in sorting individuals by labels. They eschew male and female classifications and characteristics. Even young conservative Christians and Evangelicals are challenging church leaders who they believe are too willing to divide over religious grouping or issues. And they were raised to learn about people by getting to know them and not making shorthand assumptions based on identity characteristics. They have a strong sense that the prior generations have done that too much. I would say they differ from even my Gen-X generation in that way. They do not look at police killing a Black man and immediately ask what he did to deserve it. They are very sensitive to unequal treatment. And this is true across political spectrum.

The younger generations also are a lot more likely to talk through issues than to accept that might makes right. They were specifically raised against that point.

I'll give you an anecdotal point that hit me how different my kids' upbringing is from mine. I was talking to my daughter about some school issues lately. Last year in response to the school shootings some parents had pushed hard for an armed school resource officer. The students were overwhelmingly and vehemently opposed. It really didn't make sense for their school, But in the course of the conversation I said they already had people that could break up fights. Her response was "fights? No one would have a fist fight. They would be humiliated and the rest of the student body would be all over them for being so stupid.

I don't know about you, WIAF, but for me growing up in a white, upper middle class area, I doubt there were many days in my K-12 career where there wasn't a fist fight somewhere at the school. And usually a lot of people went running to watch.

Liberal or conservative, I don't think you are going to get a lot of support from younger generations for going in with military and laying down the law. I think the response you are going to get is "when has that ever worked?"

Polls so far are not indicating support for the police over the protesters on this and I don't think they are going to change. And frankly, unlike ever before we are seeing widespread coverage of police engaging in tactics that are either instigating or making matters worse. That is something protesters in the sixties couldn't do. I think you will find that Trump's approach will appeal to people who were already voting for him.
Thank you for this meaningful response.

A number of days have passed, and there is far less looting and vandalism and clashes with police now are e sporadic, if not non-existent, even as crowds defy curfews which now seem unnecessary. Things are under control and throughs of military intervention seem entirely out of place.

The last several years the most divisive in my life. Things were getting bad before Trump, and Trump has made them far worse. You can look at the polls and to the extent Trump's speech was heard, those who are GOP mostly approved it and those registered Dems mostly did not. The majority of independents approved of the speeches, but not many heard it. I thought it was meant to be divisive and the failure to dwell on the roots causes of the violence made it so. Somebody posted George Sr's speech and that was aimed at bringing folks together.

As for generational shifts we shall see. Right now older people vote the more, they made Trump President and they elected a GOP Senate. I'm not as optimistic as you that things will change in this divided country.

sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

As for generational shifts we shall see. Right now older people vote the more, they made Trump President and they elected a GOP Senate. I'm not as optimistic as you that things will change in this divided country.
Older people die off and then younger people become the older people. My predictions about the future could be wrong, but I would not count on past election results to make those predictions.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

Older people die off and then younger people become the older people. My predictions about the future could be wrong, but I would not count on past election results to make those predictions.

Given that Republicans skew older you'd think they would be pushing for vote-by-mail in case we have another COVID outbreak in the fall.

AunBear89
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

Given that Republicans skew older you'd think they would be pushing for vote-by-mail in case we have another COVID outbreak in the fall.

Haven't you heard: Covid 19 was all a big fake. Just ask janky1 or BearDork2 or GB4L. A big fake. SIP was a waste of time and resources. 100K+ dead is just a drop in the bucket. They were all old and/or sick and were gonna die anyway. But not them - cuz for MAGAts and 'cons, The 'rona ain't real.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Go!Bears
bearister said:

Sure has a lot of medals. I wonder what they are for...
AunBear89
Go!Bears said:

bearister said:

Sure has a lot of medals. I wonder what they are for...

One is for Clapping Erasers After Class with Distinction. Another is for Meritorious Conduct During a Panty Raid on the nearby all girls school. I think there is also one for Licking the Commandant's Arse, with a "V" for Valor.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

They are working off their usual assumption that anything that makes it easier to vote is bad, but indeed, on this particular issue it's not clear a vote-by-mail push would actually be bad for them. It might actually help them by allowing more older people to vote.
NYCGOBEARS
Hey bearister.

sycasey
NYCGOBEARS said:

Hey bearister.

This would seem to be a bad sign for his chances in the Rust Belt.
Go!Bears
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

They are working off their usual assumption that anything that makes it easier to vote is bad, but indeed, on this particular issue it's not clear a vote-by-mail push would actually be bad for them. It might actually help them by allowing more older people to vote.
In a lot of places where they don't have "no excuse vote-by-mail", there is a carve out for 65+. So their voters are taken care of and the ones they want to supress are supressed. Clever, like the old 'Grandfather Clause'.
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

Hey bearister.

That 37% needs an exorcism!

Right before the green puke and the demon left, the White Catholic spoke in tongues and said: "When tRump held that Bible upside down in front of the church it was a sign that he has been chosen to establish God's kingdom on earth,"
Yogi38
bearister said:

This girl isn't at all funny.
"Yogi is right" - Oaktown Bear
Yogi38
NYCGOBEARS said:

I know Mike Mullen. This is a big deal. He once told me that he'd been apolitical his entire career and it wasn't appropriate to comment on politicians when I asked him his opinion on Trump.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/american-cities-are-not-battlespaces/612553/
Yes, because the important thing is that we know that you know him
"Yogi is right" - Oaktown Bear
bearister
Garou said:

bearister said:

Commonly known as an unsolicited opinion.....oh, and with regard to your response to NYCGB's post:

*I find it interesting when posters here know or have encounters with famous people.
FuzzyWuzzy
Go!Bears said:

bearister said:

Would I love to read her prenup (and its amendments)?
I can't figure out if she deserves it but I feel sorry for the FLOTUS
FuzzyWuzzy
bearister said:

Until I saw the above tweet I did not realize that Gen. McChrystal and tRump had crossed swords...it makes sense, however, in light of the fact McChrystal is a major baller as a warrior ( McChrystal is reported to run 7 to 8 miles daily, eat one meal per day, and sleep four hours a night) and Cadet Bone Spurs a major baller as a coward.

Trump attacks McChrystal after retired general called Trump immoral - CNNPolitics

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/01/politics/trump-tweet-mcchrystal/index.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/01/politics/trump-tweet-mcchrystal/index.html

Young Donald looks like Eric
NYCGOBEARS
Garou said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

I know Mike Mullen. This is a big deal. He once told me that he'd been apolitical his entire career and it wasn't appropriate to comment on politicians when I asked him his opinion on Trump.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/american-cities-are-not-battlespaces/612553/

It is. You nailed it. Congrats!
B.A. Bearacus
Garou said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Quayle: Yeah, and the important thing is that you knew him.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus, your post gives rise to a spin off political memory. I was in a hotel room in San Diego on a business trip watching the 1992 Republican National Convention (yeah, I know, that was my first mistake) when during her speech Marilyn Quayle starts bashing Bill Clinton for dodging the draft during the Vietnam War. My jaw hit the ground....because her husband Dan engaged in the connected White boy dodge himself, enlisted in the National Guard. Vietnam was a senseless meat grinder so I don't judge anyone that tried to avoid being a pawn...UNLESS they start criticizing someone else's military record Or, they hold Hawkish military beliefs when they, themselves, were unwilling to serve (the poster boy for that being Dick Cheney who secured 5 draft deferments. His explanation: "I had other priorities." (like staying alive?)).
My utmost respect and appreciation is reserved for those that did serve.
82gradDLSdad
Garou said:

bearister said:

I think Sarah Cooper's bit is hilarious. Which is a tribute to her comedic skill because the premise, lip syncing Trump, seems dumb. She pulls it off.
okaydo

okaydo
okaydo
bearister
okaydo said:

I'm pretty sure tRump was evoking the memory of George Wallace.
bearister
John Kelly says Americans should 'look harder at who we elect'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/05/john-kelly-trump-character-ethics-mattis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Just think of the first hand accounts Kelly and Mattis could provide of how bat guano crazy orange Emperor Norton is.

General Mattis to tRump:

Go!Bears
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Go!Bears said:

bearister said:

Would I love to read her prenup (and its amendments)?
I can't figure out if she deserves it but I feel sorry for the FLOTUS
She looks miserable but she is an enabler. She contributes to our national misery with her silence. And her book deal would be worth millions, plenty for the average person's financial security. I am just not feeling it.
bearister
I feel as sorry for Melatonin as I do for Harvey Weinstein's ex wife. In for a penny, in for a pound. She knew tRump was a major D bag when she married him. It is a bargained for exchange. True, she didn't anticipate that he would become POTUS and put his D baggery on international display 24/7 but what the heck, sh@it happens.

smh
bearister said:

She knew tRump was a major D bag when she married him. It is a bargained for exchange.
dunno B, obviously no one does but him and her. but just going by the haunted eyes seems more of an abusive blackmailed hostage situation, hidden waay inside the big picture..

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
bearister
calbear93
okaydo said:

Can we agree that credibility is important in journalism? Can we agree that if we cannot trust journalists to tell us the truth, we are left vulnerable to believing propaganda and conspiracy as truth?

Can we also agree that Trump will make so many errors that we do not need to compromise our integrity to make him look bad?

Have you heard the full speech? In what context was Trump saying this? About jobs or about efforts to provide equal protection?

Granted he is tone deaf and no one is viewing him as a promoter of equal protection and justice for all, but do these journalists not care that even one instance of spreading false message for a quick gotcha means what they say in the future will be discounted? For what?

I honestly would like to know. Who does this help?
NYCGOBEARS
calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

Can we agree that credibility is important in journalism? Can we agree that if we cannot trust journalists to tell us the truth, we are left vulnerable to believing propaganda and conspiracy as truth?

Can we also agree that Trump will make so many errors that we do not need to compromise our integrity to make him look bad?

Have you heard the full speech? In what context was Trump saying this? About jobs or about efforts to provide equal protection?

Granted he is tone deaf and no one is viewing him as a promoter of equal protection and justice for all, but do these journalists not care that even one instance of spreading false message for a quick gotcha means what they say in the future will be discounted? For what?

More dangerous both sidesism here. Who exactly is the arbitrator of journalistic integrity in an era of profound gaslighting and outright lies? Trump long ago lost any benefit of any doubt. Neither he nor his machine will play by the rules.

No more profoundly divisive or thoroughly corrupt figure has ever had such national prominence. The time for truth and reconciliation will come after his defeat and the ouster of all his enabling sycophants from our government.

I am not advocating that we believe everything we hear or see. That sort of confirmation bias is dangerous and is a root of our common problems. I do trust, and pray like hell, that the vast majority of Americans can now clearly see the cancer that Trumpism is and will cut it out of our body politic before it kills us. Because as it stands, we are in grave peril.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

93 - I got a phone notification on this shortly after he made the statement. The source I read presented it in context of Trump talking about providing equal protections. It provided the whole surrounding quote. At the time, I did not know that it was given as part of a speech on the economy and did not tie it to the issue of unemployment. I was more infuriated by this than by anything else Trump has ever said. I'm not saying it is the worst thing he has said, but that was my personal response. I'll come back to that it in minute.

I have seen media that have conflated the issue of unemployment with the comments about Floyd. It is either shoddy, sloppy journalism or people trying to make a point. Frankly, too much of our media sucks at doing their job. Right, left, and center. I try to as much is feasible look at source material because the press gets it wrong more often than right. In this case when I was so upset, I looked at the source material because I owe it to even Trump to judge him on his words and actions, not what someone else says he said. I may not succeed in that endeavor all of the time, but I try. I will say that most of the sources I saw covered it reasonably correctly - that the statements were made in discussing equal protection measures. As I said, I have seen some conflate, sometimes I think intentionally, some I think just sloppily the statement with unemployment. That is bad journalism and unfair.

Back to my fury. The unemployment issue is not the gotcha even if some morons in the press want to try and make it one. As I said, I didn't even know about that connection when I saw this. Partially, my anger is fueled by Trump's actions over the last week and a half and my view that he has not only done little for equal protections but has harmed them. But, that is political opinion and it is not what really upset me. It is the complete insensitivity and stupidity. It is plain and simple this.

George Floyd does not have good days. All of George Floyd's good days have been taken from him.

You know the old bit about comedy equals tragedy plus time. That you couldn't make the joke "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" right after the assassination, but now you can? George Floyd just died. People are mourning him. If we have some great piece of legislation or something that MLK had championed but had never gotten done, you can say "MLK is having a great day today". You cannot say someone who was just murdered by police, whose family is still mourning him, is having a great day.

It is very clear that Floyd's family does not like Trump and does not like how he has dealt with them or with the whole issue. I am confident that Floyd would not want his name used in support of Trump's actions. You do not do this unless you are extremely sure that this person would stand behind you (and even then it is too soon). It is an insult and it is upsetting to his loved ones.

There has been no major legislation, no major policy changes, nothing to indicate that the next George Floyd won't happen. It is a great day for George Floyd based on what?

George Floyd does not have great days anymore. The comments were just mind-blowingly stupid and insensitive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.