A darker purpose for the police/military aggression?

5,574 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by blungld
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

See: It's hard to punish/get rid of the bad apples.

Why is this resignation bad? If they don't want to clean up their own house, I say "Bye Felicia".
I agree with that. Good riddance.

I think what this also shows is that the problems go well beyond "a few bad apples." There are a lot of apples who seemed to like having the bad ones around.
They're not resigning from the department. They're resigning from the riot squad. LOL. They're not going to give up their pension on principle.
sycasey
okaydo said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

See: It's hard to punish/get rid of the bad apples.

Why is this resignation bad? If they don't want to clean up their own house, I say "Bye Felicia".
I agree with that. Good riddance.

I think what this also shows is that the problems go well beyond "a few bad apples." There are a lot of apples who seemed to like having the bad ones around.
They're not resigning from the department. They're resigning from the riot squad. LOL. They're not going to give up their pension on principle.

I suppose if they just want to sit at a desk now that's still an improvement.
BearForce2
blungld said:

Anarchistbear said:

I have an idea. Why don't the Democrat Mayors who have funded, outfitted and supported these police for decades do something?
Police unions.
Well that's it then, turn off your computers and go to bed because there's nothing Democrats can do.

BearForce2
Democrats demand leadership and healing from a person they refer to as a white supremacist dictator.

sp4149
calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

blungld said:

Anarchistbear said:

I have an idea. Why don't the Democrat Mayors who have funded, outfitted and supported these police for decades do something?
Police unions.
Now the unions are bad? When did the 180 degree shift occur? Oh forget it I know the answer.
How do you know this is a shift? Did you know blungld's position on police unions before now?
I don't know about him in particular, but the regressive folks on here--another words, 95% of the members--are clearly pro-union unless I'm going crazy.
Completely understandable why you are confused. It went from you asking why Democrats who are generally for unions have failed to fix the police department when they have been in charge to somehow you saying this is the position of blungld. Typical sleight of hand.
You may not have noticed but the GOP in their recent success in outsourcing government union jobs went after every public sector union except, the police unions. Gov Scott Walker, the most successful of the bunch took on teachers and firemen for outsourcing, but not law enforcement. The Police unions down here, were and are pro-Trump and anti-Democrat. GOP politicians know enough not to threaten employees who carry guns.

It has created quite a riff between fire and police as part of the argument has been that fire fighting was not dangerous and did not need the same safety and health benefits as police. In response you see buildings burning now when the police arrive and their presence makes fighting a fire dangerous and the firefighters become spectators. Last October a Minnesota city switched to part-time firefighters, eliminating full-time union jobs, and dissolving the union. Haven't heard any town doing the same with cops. It does beg the question, "If a police station in Minnesota catches fire, would ex-union fire fighters fight the blaze?"
prospeCt
one of your strongest posts blu, don't let the bi pr*cks get you down. seems we attract all the professional RWNJ trolls & wh*res, a testament to truth

kelly09
going4roses
Not funny at all.
kelly09
going4roses said:

Not funny at all.
Whyzatt?
calbear93
sp4149 said:

calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

blungld said:

Anarchistbear said:

Police unions.
Now the unions are bad? When did the 180 degree shift occur? Oh forget it I know the answer.
How do you know this is a shift? Did you know blungld's position on police unions before now?
I don't know about him in particular, but the regressive folks on here--another words, 95% of the members--are clearly pro-union unless I'm going crazy.
Completely understandable why you are confused. It went from you asking why Democrats who are generally for unions have failed to fix the police department when they have been in charge to somehow you saying this is the position of blungld. Typical sleight of hand.
You may not have noticed but the GOP in their recent success in outsourcing government union jobs went after every public sector union except, the police unions. Gov Scott Walker, the most successful of the bunch took on teachers and firemen for outsourcing, but not law enforcement. The Police unions down here, were and are pro-Trump and anti-Democrat. GOP politicians know enough not to threaten employees who carry guns.

It has created quite a riff between fire and police as part of the argument has been that fire fighting was not dangerous and did not need the same safety and health benefits as police. In response you see buildings burning now when the police arrive and their presence makes fighting a fire dangerous and the firefighters become spectators. Last October a Minnesota city switched to part-time firefighters, eliminating full-time union jobs, and dissolving the union. Haven't heard any town doing the same with cops. It does beg the question, "If a police station in Minnesota catches fire, would ex-union fire fighters fight the blaze?"

But again, we cannot be saying it doesn't matter who is in charge because the police can do whoever they want. The reason they can do whatever they want now is that Democrats and Republicans care more about getting re-elected than doing their job. Even if it's hard, doing their job and being a leader means standing up to the union when necessary instead of worrying what that would do to their re-election chances.

And saying they want to disband the police or eliminate their budget betrays complete tone deaf and lack of thought leadership. Sure, when we eliminate all personal security for the politicians and celebrities, I will listen as to why common folks don't need protection. No, the answer is we have the collective will to stand up to the unions and say we will get rid of the bad cops, we will promote and reward the good cops and start building the right culture, and anyone who doesn't like it can get the **** out and lose their pension.
BearForce2
Anarchistbear
Now this is some funny stuff.

Over the weekend, the notorious hacker group Anonymous joined the fray by tapping into Chicago Police Department's radios and playing N.W.A.'s "**** Tha Police".

This past Saturday, the notorious hacker group returned to social media to announce their solidarity with the protestors fighting racism and corruption in the US. "If the police can't restrain themselves and are shooting reporters, kicking protesters, punching protesters, and engaging in violence how can anyone expect the people to restrain themselves? People are done being brutalised and murdered," they tweeted. Shortly afterwards, "**** Tha Police" could be heard on police scanners

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/anonymous-chicago-police-scanners-nwa-****-tha-police/
smh
AB just as a headsup when we see stars in posted links, BI's bad word software's filtering censor messed up the spelling. so clicking thru's not gonna fly.

often fixable by readers guessing and re-diddling the url manually, or else the poster might (pre-)employ their fave url-shortener. for instance free https://bitly.com spawned.. https://bit.ly/3f1bXR5

good luck.

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Anarchistbear
Grazie. The more relevant thing is that the 25th ranked R and B song from 1988 is still timely on 2020.
smh
Anarchistbear said:

Grazie. The more relevant thing is that the 25th ranked R and B song from 1988 is still timely on 2020.
oldies not my strong suit, but i'll take a shot in the dark with Bobby Brown's Roni?
# cheating cheaters never prosper, and we cheat

next blind shot in the dark was gonna be sung by bo diddley.
> obscure clue for kids born after Y2K..
> https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Diddley

https://playback.fm/charts/rnb/1988

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
BearChemist
The Story Behind Bill Barr's Unmarked Federal Agents

<quote>
What is surprising is that those two agencies now facing down Black Lives Matter and crowds protesting systemic racism historically have been enlisted by the federal government to protect blacks against white protesters. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, for instance, deputized officers from the Border Patrol and the Bureau of Prisons to work as U.S. marshals and secure the University of Mississippi in 1962 to protect James Meredith as he enrolled at the school after desegregation. Similarly, the Border Patrol once watched over the Freedom Riders in Alabama and Mississippi in the 1960s.
</quote>

<quote>
On the lighter side, few tourists know, for instance, that the National Gallery of Arthome to some of the world's most famous artworkhas a shooting range for its police tucked away above its soaring central rotunda. On the darker side, the roughly 20,000 federal prison guards known formally as the Bureau of Prisonswhose riot units make up a sizable chunk of the officers imported to D.C. and who represent the single largest component of federal officers in the Justice Departmentare concerning to see on the streets in part because they're largely untrained in civilian law enforcement; they normally operate in a controlled environment behind bars with sharply limited civil liberties and use-of-force policies that would never fly in a civilian environment.
</quote>

<quote>
Concerningly, under the Trump administration, many of these agencies have been rudderlessoverseen by rotating series of acting officials. More than half of all federal civilian law enforcement right now is being led by temporary acting officials, everything from ICE and CBP to DEA. (That calculation doesn't even count the thousands of special agents in inspectors general offices that have recently seen an administrationwide purge of the government's watchdogs.) The Bureau of Prisons was being overseen by an acting director last summer when Jeffrey Epstein managed to commit suicide while supposedly under strict monitoring. The DEA, with its special temporary powers for the protests, is currently led by an acting administrator who has been on the job for just days.
</quote>
hanky1
I think you're overanalyzing the situation. It is really, very quite simple. For decades, the left wing mob has been trying to destroy American culture by sowing chaos and destroying societal norms like sex and religion.

What you're seeing is a natural response to regain control from the mob.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/us/transgender-athletes-connecticut-lawsuit/index.html
going4roses
And what about the Lynch mobs that once wore hoods and now wear badges?

Anarchistbear
Minneapolis Mayor booed out of rally. Interesting because it shows how the Democratic urban coalition is crumbling. Also what is this twerp wearing- his woke demonstrator gear? He looks like he's going to a softball game

kelly09
going4roses said:

You probably haven't noticed. There aren't many of those around. You know GFR, I have posted that I was in the army at Benning in 1961. The hoods weren't out but the southern cops were just as you would imagine.40 years later I had business trips to Atlanta, Birmingham and Chattanooga. None of that existed. THIS IS NOT A RACIST COUNTRY.
kelly09
For G4R.
https://amgreatness.com/2020/06/06/racism-inc/
Anarchistbear
From the NYT. Well, this is interesting.

"Majority of the Minneapolis City Council pledges to dismantle the Police Department.
Nine members a veto-proof majority of the Minneapolis City Council pledged on Sunday to dismantle the city's Police Department, promising to create a new system of public safety in a city where law enforcement has long been accused of racism.

Saying that the city's current policing system could not be reformed, the council members stood before hundreds of people who gathered late in the day on a grassy hill, and signed a pledge to begin the process of taking apart the Police Department as it now exists. "
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

"Majority of the Minneapolis City Council pledges to dismantle the Police Department.
Nine members a veto-proof majority of the Minneapolis City Council pledged on Sunday to dismantle the city's Police Department, promising to create a new system of public safety in a city where law enforcement has long been accused of racism.

Saying that the city's current policing system could not be reformed, the council members stood before hundreds of people who gathered late in the day on a grassy hill, and signed a pledge to begin the process of taking apart the Police Department as it now exists. "

Wow, I never imagined it would move THIS fast. Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Wow, I never imagined it would move THIS fast. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

A confluence of things-virus, unemployment, growing rage at a failed state - Floyd is the tinder.

There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen" Lenin.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

A confluence of things-virus, unemployment, growing rage at a failed state - Floyd is the tinder.

There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen" Lenin.

People who theorize about cycles of history had 2020 pegged as one such year where history would seem to accelerate. They were right.
BearForce2
Anarchistbear said:

Minneapolis Mayor booed out of rally. Interesting because it shows how the Democratic urban coalition is crumbling. Also what is this twerp wearing- his woke demonstrator gear? He looks like he's going to a softball game

I didn't know that was the mayor when I first saw the clip, his choice of wardrobe threw me off. He was uncontrollably sobbing the day earlier at Floyd's funeral but apparently his performance wasn't good enough.
Anarchistbear
BearForce2 said:

Anarchistbear said:

I didn't know that was the mayor when I first saw the clip, his choice of wardrobe threw me off. He was uncontrollably sobbing the day earlier at Floyd's funeral but apparently his performance wasn't good enough.

What was interesting is he started out spouting the usual pablum about "we have to do something about institutional racism". The crowd realized immediately that when somebody uses these words they aren't really talking about change but repeating a bull**** talking point. So the crowd pushed back and asked him about ending the police (ironically what the city council wound up approving later) . And he couldn't commit. The coda was the hilarious perp walk where he looked like a guy who'd just given up a grand slam to lose the series.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
hanky1
going4roses said:

Are you seriously comparing the KKK with police? Seriously?
AunBear89
You should read more history. Seriously.

Bless your cold, tiny heart.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
blungld
First off, I am glad that my post got so much dissent. I am happy to be wrong and to see that here on the board and in our cities the last few days, there is more optimism and the signs that Trump has failed to both control the crowd and the message. This renews my faith in who and what ultimately triumphs in this conflict and suspect this will make any attempt to militarize the election nearly impossible.

Secondly, there was a little mischaracterization of what I posted. I did not mean to suggest that there was a coordinated, nationwide effort to overthrow our Republic, or that Trump has a master plan. I believe he is entirely instinctive, and the things I listed as possible concerns were things that I felt float in his mind (and in those of his innermost circle--and perhaps in the minds of those he is responsive to), and that his tests of obedience, loyalty, and the limits of his power are entirely hardwired into how he conducts "business." There is not a well-constructed plan, there is an un-well-constructed psychosis that manifests in fits of oppression and power plays. When there is not pushback or a cost to his lawlessness, he sees that as success and makes the Pavlovian play again.

So, my fear was NOT that this was a planned dry run, it was the concern that it might become a de facto dry run, and that the script in one way or another was being written for November. I think Mattis and others helped to close this chapter.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.