John Lewis Civil Rights Icon Has Died

6,264 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by okaydo
BearNIt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
John Lewis the conscience of American has died at age 80. This is an enormous loss. May we all engage in "Good Trouble". This man gave so much to this country and will be missed by those with a conscience.
going4roses
Thank you for your sacrifice Mr Lewis
Krugman Is A Moron
going4roses said:

He can't hear you. He's dead.

This is pure virtue signalling at its best.
drizzlybears brother
Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

As is the term virtue signaling.
Krugman Is A Moron
drizzlybears brother said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

As is the term virtue signaling.
Here's some more virtue signalling.

In an early setback for Barack Obama's 2008 Democratic primary campaign, Lewis endorsed Hillary Rodham Clinton for the nomination. Lewis switched when it became clear Obama had overwhelming Black support. Obama later honored Lewis with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and they marched hand in hand in Selma on the 50th anniversary of the Bloody Sunday attack.

A lot of James Clyburn in him

https://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/politics/john-lewis-bernie-sanders-civil-rights/index.html

Democratic Rep. John Lewis on Thursday questioned the extent of Bernie Sanders' participation in the civil rights movement after an event where the Congressional Black Caucus political action committee endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Sanders has frequently talked up his history as an activist while he was at the University of Chicago in the 1960s and touted his work with the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. But Lewis, a civil rights icon and leader of SNCC said he never saw Sanders at any events.
"I never saw him. I never met him," Lewis said. "I was chair of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee for three years, from 1963 to 1966. I was involved with the sit-ins, the Freedom Rides, the March on Washington, the march from Selma to Montgomery and directed (the) voter education project for six years. But I met Hillary Clinton. I met President (Bill) Clinton."

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/john-lewis-clarifies-comments-bernie-sanders

Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis on Saturday clarified comments he made earlier this week questioning Sen. Bernie Sanders' involvement in the civil rights movement. Lewis, who is supporting Hillary Clinton over Sanders in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, had said he never met Sanders.

"In the interest of unity, I want to clarify the statement I made at Thursday's news conference," Lewis said in a statement from the Congressional Black Caucus PAC, which endorsed Clinton on Thursday.

"I was responding to a reporter's question who asked me to assess Sen. Sanders' civil rights record. I said that when I was leading and was at the center of pivotal actions within the Civil Rights Movement, I did not meet Sen. Bernie Sanders at any time. The fact that I did not meet him in the movement does not mean I doubted that Sen. Sanders participated in the Civil Rights Movement, neither was I attempting to disparage his activism. Thousands sacrificed in the 1960s whose names we will never know, and I have always given honor to their contribution."

Lewis had also suggested that he had known Bill and Hillary Clinton during the civil rights era, a comment he also clarified. "If you take a look at a transcript of my statement, you will find I did not say that I met Hillary and Bill Clinton when I was chairman of SNCC in the 1960s. My point was that when I was doing the work of civil rights, led the Voter Education Project and organized voter registration in the South in the 1970s, I did cross paths with Hillary and Bill Clinton in the field. They were working in politics, and Bill Clinton became attorney general of Arkansas in the 1970s as well. That began a relationship with them that has lasted until today," Lewis said in the statement.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2007/12/hillary_and_martin_luther_king.html

According to Clinton biographers Jeff Gerth and Don Van Natta (Her Way, page 20), Hillary heard Dr. King speak when she was 17, i.e. 1964-1965. Carl Bernstein, in "A Woman in Charge" (page 35), says the incident happened in the fall of 1961. Gail Sheehy, in "Hillary's Choice" (page 35), plumps for January 1963. Clinton used the January 1963 date in her Selma speech.

Guess what? They are all wrong.

While it is impossible to be certain, the evidence points overwhelmingly to April 1962. So why did Clinton say "a cold night in January 1963" in her Selma speech? The Clinton campaign isn't saying, although I have asked them several times. The most likely explanation is that Clinton's speech writers rewrote the passage from the 1999 Gail Sheehy book, complete with the erroneous title for the sermon, without checking the facts. (The give-away clue: Both Sheehy and Clinton use the phrase "Great Revolution," which is not on the Sunday Evening Club index card.)

I should note that one of the few reporters to get this particular biographical detail right was my Washington Post colleague, Sally Jenkins, in a December 9, 2007 article describing Hillary Clinton's formative years in Chicago.

Nobody is suggesting that Clinton did not hear Martin Luther King speak in Chicago while she was a teenager. The precise date may seem like a minor detail, but it is a good example of how difficult it can be to nail down the facts in even the most public of lives. One Pinocchio for Clinton and her speech writers for sloppy research.
Big C
Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

I'm trying to recall: What other handle on this board frequently refers to "virtue signaling"?

Hmmn... what does it all mean?
Krugman Is A Moron
Big C said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

I'm trying to recall: What other handle on this board frequently refers to "virtue signaling"?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-it-s-taking-over-the-world
okaydo
Lewis was one of 2 iconic people born in 1940 who's battling pancreatic cancer. The other turns 80 next week.
GoOskie
Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Don't you work or have a hobby, or is this it?
This just in: Republicans find another whistleblower who claims Hillary's emails were proven to be on Hunter's laptop while Obama spied on tRump as he sat (shat?) upon his golden toilet. Gym Jordan afraid whistle blower may be in danger of abduction by aliens in cahoots with Democrats.
Krugman Is A Moron
GoOskie said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Don't you work or have a hobby, or is this it?
Do you work at 10:57 PM?
going4roses
Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay
Clearly you don't know who I am , my experience nor my culture.

Off you go
Krugman Is A Moron
going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go
So it's your opinion that either he can hear you or that he reads this board in the afterlife?
dajo9
A great man. One of the greatest of the Silent Generation which did so much to push Civil Rights forward.
American Vermin
BearNIt
Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go
So it's your opinion that either he can hear you or that he reads this board in the afterlife?
Snide comments about an icon in the African American community who did nothing but put his life on the line to make things better for people at a time when violent and racist elements of this country were ready to maim and murder peaceful protesters says a lot about who you think you are. This was a man who embodied peaceful protest and dignified resistance against institutional and de facto racism. He went on to advocate for excluded segments of this society such as women, LGBTQ, Hispanics, immigrants, and others. One of the biggest issues he was involved in was the 1965 Voting Rights Acts and efforts to secure its renewal. He did what a lot of people were afraid to do then and are afraid to do now and that was to have skin and body in the game. His appearance at the 1963 march in Washington D.C. where MLK gave his "I Have A Dream" speech and Lewis' are chiseled into the history of this country and the world as an example of when people join together they can cause change for the betterment of all.
Krugman Is A Moron
BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go
Snide comments about an icon in the African American community who did nothing but put his life on the line to make things better for people at a time when violent and racist elements of this country were ready to maim and murder peaceful protesters says a lot about who you think you are. This was a man who embodied peaceful protest and dignified resistance against institutional and de facto racism. He went on to advocate for excluded segments of this society such as women, LGBTQ, Hispanics, immigrants, and others. One of the biggest issues he was involved in was the 1965 Voting Rights Acts and efforts to secure its renewal. He did what a lot of people were afraid to do then and are afraid to do now and that was to have skin and body in the game.
Well, he did endorse Hilary Clinton over Obama. That says a lot to me. And then he changed that endorsement when the political winds shifted.
BearNIt
Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go
Snide comments about an icon in the African American community who did nothing but put his life on the line to make things better for people at a time when violent and racist elements of this country were ready to maim and murder peaceful protesters says a lot about who you think you are. This was a man who embodied peaceful protest and dignified resistance against institutional and de facto racism. He went on to advocate for excluded segments of this society such as women, LGBTQ, Hispanics, immigrants, and others. One of the biggest issues he was involved in was the 1965 Voting Rights Acts and efforts to secure its renewal. He did what a lot of people were afraid to do then and are afraid to do now and that was to have skin and body in the game.
Well, he did endorse Hilary Clinton over Obama. That says a lot to me. And then he changed that endorsement when the political winds shifted.
That's not a thing, really it's not. To let that overshadow his life and fight for equality is not a thing that people will remember about John Robert Lewis.
Krugman Is A Moron
BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go
That's not a thing, really it's not. To let that overshadow his life and fight for equality is not a thing that people will remember about John Robert Lewis.
It doesn't overshadow his life. It just happens to be something that he actually did.
BearChemist
Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go
It doesn't overshadow his life. It just happens to be something that he actually did.
Like constantly being butt-hurt is something you actually do.
sycasey
Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go

And yet, it's the thing you want to focus on immediately after his death. That says a lot to me.
calbear93
sycasey said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go

And yet, it's the thing you want to focus on immediately after his death. That says a lot to me.

Whether it was before or after his death, we have recognized and we should continue to recognize the extraordinary courage and dignity he showed even as a young man, putting action to word by doing more than anonymously posting on a message board but actually risking physical harm knowing he would get arrested over and over again. Even as a Congressman, he showed respect for others, even those he disagreed with, and it is an example we fail to live up to here almost every single time. I think the reason to remember him and other fallible beings who show strong character despite being human is not for their benefit but for our benefit to remind us of how much better we can be if we choose to be better. I may not agree with all of his policies other than on civil rights matter but I admired him and continue to do so, mainly so that one day, examples like him and others may take hold in me.
Krugman Is A Moron
sycasey said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go

I wasn't particularly interested in talking about him at all, but then going4roses decided to virtue signal.
drizzlybears brother
Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go

I wasn't particularly interested in talking about him at all, but then going4roses decided to virtue signal.
Simply untrue.

Most any utterance here reflects personal virtues. You're here to set fires. The phrase virtue signaling is a meaningless phrase that agitators use to further divide.
bearister
Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Did you pause for even a nanosecond before you hit "post" and think "Maybe I'll let this thread go without sharing my reflection?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Krugman Is A Moron
bearister said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Did you pause for even a nanosecond before you hit "post" and think "Maybe I'll let this thread go without sharing my reflection?
Nope. I live with no regrets.
bearister
Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Nope. I live with no regrets.

Does BI have a forum for placing a wager on who starred your post? You spurned Bernie Crybabies are every bit as vicious as Jessica Walters in Play Misty for Me.

Big C
Matthew Patel said:

Big C said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-it-s-taking-over-the-world

Without any further obfuscation, will you flat-out deny that you are also "GBear4Life"? And no crossies! If you are not, too bad, because that would've been pretty clever, fostering a general annoyance for his type.
bearister
Big C said:

Matthew Patel said:

Big C said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Without any further obfuscation, will you flat-out deny that you are also "GBear4Life"? And no crossies! If you are not, too bad, because that would've been pretty clever, fostering a general annoyance for his type.

Krugman Is A Moron
Big C said:

Matthew Patel said:

Big C said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Without any further obfuscation, will you flat-out deny that you are also "GBear4Life"?
Of course not.
bearister
I'm kelly09.

sycasey
Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Matthew Patel said:

going4roses said:

Mmm Kay

Off you go

Seems even easier to just ignore the thread if you don't want to talk about John Lewis.
Krugman Is A Moron
sycasey said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

Matthew Patel said:

BearNIt said:

Seems even easier to just ignore the thread if you don't want to talk about John Lewis.
It was really easy to say what I said. And I said exactly what I wanted to say.

If you didn't like it, you could have ignored it too. But you didn't.
dajo9
I always like it when people show us who they are
American Vermin
Krugman Is A Moron
dajo9 said:

I always like it when people show us who they are
So do I
okaydo
I can't believe y'all are celebrating a guy who was arrested more than 40 times when you denounce Trump, who's never been arrested.
okaydo
Oops. I meant to post that using my conservative screenname.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.