Rename Berkeley

2,413 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The point is worth raising, because the University's namesake, George Berkeley, among all the other things he did in natural philosophy, bought a plantation and a few slaves in Rhode Island. The University should cease all denaming considerations until there is a decision among the denaming activists whether the name UC Berkeley can remain intact.
Half the people here who like Cal or The University of California for branding purposes should be supportive. Berkeley Law has to be renamed again. Cal Law? This is the logical outcome of ideas coming from the ludicrous left.

joe amos yaks
BearForce2 said:

Quote:

The point is worth raising, because the University's namesake, George Berkeley, among all the other things he did in natural philosophy, bought a plantation and a few slaves in Rhode Island. The University should cease all denaming considerations until there is a decision among the denaming activists whether the name UC Berkeley can remain intact.
Half the people here who like Cal or The University of California for branding purposes should be supportive. Berkeley Law has to be renamed again. Cal Law? This is the logical outcome of ideas coming from the ludicrous left.

OT -- Rename Berkeley after Busby Berkeley and keep the letterhead.
BearForce2
joe amos yaks said:

BearForce2 said:

Quote:

Rename Berkeley after Busby Berkeley and keep the letterhead.
That would be such a Berkeley thing to do.
m2bear
Why is this in the football forum?
Big C

My oldest kid in seven years: "Dad, I made the wait list at UC-Harry Edwards!"
BearForce2
m2bear said:

Because your school is soon to be renamed UC Harry Edwards.

bearister
Dumpster Muffin Hall
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
m2bear said:

Because the in box at the Women's Basketball Board Is full.
cyrusthebear
RENAME AMERICA

this is obviously the next move as "America" is a masculine name, while Europe and Asia are feminine.
bearister
cyrusthebear said:

RENAME AMERICA

this is obviously the next move as "America" is a masculine name, while Europe and Asia are feminine.

Oceania
okaydo
cyrusthebear said:

RENAME AMERICA

America is a female name. When have you heard people refer to America as him and he?

Fyght4Cal
Countries are usually considered feminine. With at least one notable exception.

Yogi37
m2bear said:

Because BearForce2 is a Trump troll
BearForce2
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/what-to-do-about-george-berkeley-trinity-figurehead-and-slave-owner-1.4277555

What to do about George Berkeley, Trinity figurehead and slave owner?
Unthinkable: Ireland's most celebrated philosopher was 'also extremely morally fallible.

Quote:

"We are all thinking about statues and named institutions this week. The Berkeley, California, case is particularly interesting. The university is named after philosophical Berkeley, and the naming is based on somebody liking the closing lines of a poem he wrote glorifying imperial expansion into America. So, that would seem to make it tainted in name and purpose.
bearister
" Ireland's most celebrated philosopher.."

He was an Orangeman and descendent of the Occupiers, we don't claim that b@stard.

AunBear89
bearister said:

He was an Orangeman and descendent of the Occupiers, we don't claim that b@stard.

This guy is Ireland's most celebrated philosopher:

He's also from my wife's part of town.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Anarchistbear
University of California @ George Jackson
BearForce2
University of California @ Adimchinobe Echemandu
kelly09
Anarchistbear said:

And Angela Davis
Anarchistbear
kelly09 said:

Anarchistbear said:

And Angela Davis

Being a retired Prof at UC Santa Cruz she gets her own campus. Cancel Santa Cruz.
bearister
AunBear89 said:

bearister said:

This guy is Ireland's most celebrated philosopher:

He's also from my wife's part of town.

When I was growing up I used to catch Dave's act on the local PBS, Channel 9, KQED. I also saw the Brit team, The Two Ronnies. I still tell a couple of jokes I heard Dave tell. He passed too soon.
AunBear89
His bits on the Catholic Church are pure gold.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2
I just want to note that I'm waiting for the peaceful protesters to demand the University of California Berkeley to be renamed because George Berkeley owned slaves. If they want to burn down Sproul Hall, let them do it because if you try to protect it with resistance, it will probably fan the flames. Give in to the potentially, mostly, peaceful leftist mob?

LMK5
BearForce2 said:

I just want to note that I'm waiting for the peaceful protesters to demand the University of California Berkeley to be renamed because George Berkeley owned slaves. If they want to burn down Sproul Hall, let them do it because if you try to protect it with resistance, it will probably fan the flames. Give in to the potentially, mostly, peaceful leftist mob?

What a tangled web we weave, huh? Have a few self-annointed puritans assemble a kangaroo court and decide who no longer deserves to have their name on a building, when at the very same time Berkeley's name is plastered all over the paperwork lying in front of them. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

But here's where it gets messy for Cal. Renaming a building after a long-forgotten scientist is one thing, but removing the name Berkeley, a name that Cal has in fact trademarked, endangers an income stream. That little wrinkle has an interesting effect on the outrage level of the revisionists.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Big C
LMK5 said:

BearForce2 said:

What a tangled web we weave, huh? Have a few self-annointed puritans meet in a dark room and decide who no longer deserves to have their name on a building, when at the very same time Berkeley's name is plastered all over the paperwork lying in front of them. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

But here's where it gets messy for Cal. Renaming a building after a long-ago scientist is one thing, but removing the name Berkeley, a name that Cal has in fact trademarked, endangers an income stream. That little wrinkle has an interesting affect on the outrage level of the puritans.

While, intellectually, you guys may have a point, how about you both shut up, before the "right" person reads it and the idea picks up steam.

Mods, move this thread to the Baseball and Olympic Sports Forum!
82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

cyrusthebear said:

RENAME AMERICA

America is a female name. When have you heard people refer to America as him and he?

America took its name from Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci. One of the few things I remember from a high school history class taught by a teacher I despised. I remember the name because I got a question about this very topic wrong on a test. When I asked the teacher where this fact was mentioned since it was in neither his lecture notes nor in the text book he replied that it was mentioned in the caption of a picture in the text book. He never mentioned it, he never made a remark about it but it was on a test. *******!!! But I do remember it.
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

okaydo said:

cyrusthebear said:

RENAME AMERICA

America took its name from Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci. One of the few things I remember from a high school history class taught by a teacher I despised. I remember the name because I got a question about this very topic wrong on a test. When I asked the teacher where this fact was mentioned since it was in neither his lecture notes nor in the text book he replied that it was mentioned in the caption of a picture in the text book. He never mentioned it, he never made a remark about it but it was on a test. *******!!! But I do remember it.

I think the mistake is coming from someone thinking the tradition of using the feminine pronoun to refer to countries and ships actually means the name of a country itself has to be feminine when it is in fact masculine.
BearForce2
Big C said:

LMK5 said:

BearForce2 said:

What a tangled web we weave, huh? Have a few self-annointed puritans meet in a dark room and decide who no longer deserves to have their name on a building, when at the very same time Berkeley's name is plastered all over the paperwork lying in front of them. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

But here's where it gets messy for Cal. Renaming a building after a long-ago scientist is one thing, but removing the name Berkeley, a name that Cal has in fact trademarked, endangers an income stream. That little wrinkle has an interesting affect on the outrage level of the puritans.

While, intellectually, you guys may have a point, how about you both shut up, before the "right" person reads it and the idea picks up steam.

LOL!
LMK5
Big C said:

LMK5 said:

BearForce2 said:

Yes, one should not underestimate the power and influence of the BI Off Topic forum!
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
bearister
This thread got moved to the Women's Basketball Board but got rejected. The traffic is so heavy over there that it has 25 dedicated content monitors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.