Cancel culture going after TikTok

2,899 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Eastern Oregon Bear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The wokes will stop at nothing to suppress free speech.
golden sloth

My favorite is the bit from the 70's about extremists, its funny how the world and the technology changes, but people's nature by and large, don't.

This is all speculative, but I think Cancel Culture is going to phase itself out in another two or three years. Its just too stupid and constricting to stick around, and the people fighting that war will get tired of the fight and move on to something more worthwhile.
Krugman Is A Moron
okaydo said:

LMAO at how utterly ignorant you are.

We should literally not have anything tech-related, software or hardware, that is made in China. They are stealing information from us constantly. Tik Tok is only the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/06/china-technology-theft-fbi-biggest-threat

And the second thing we need is to revoke the Patriot Act and create laws that protect our privacy when using the Internet and heavily fine companies like Facebook, Google, Apple, and Microsoft that constantly use our data for nefarious purposes.
dajo9
Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

We should literally not have anything tech-related, software or hardware, that is made in China. They are stealing information from us constantly. Tik Tok is only the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/06/china-technology-theft-fbi-biggest-threat

And the second thing we need is to revoke the Patriot Act and create laws that protect our privacy when using the Internet and heavily fine companies like Facebook, Google, Apple, and Microsoft that constantly use our data for nefarious purposes.

Ill go a step further and say we shouldn't do any trade with China. America should trade with countries that share our values.

But the transparent corruption of ONLY going after Tik Tok is just crybaby action and violation of the 1st amendment.
American Vermin
Krugman Is A Moron
dajo9 said:

Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

Ill go a step further and say we shouldn't do any trade with China. America should trade with countries that share our values.

But the transparent corruption of ONLY going after Tik Tok is just crybaby action and violation of the 1st amendment.
Wow. Just wow.
bearister
If Sean Hannity was the star of TikTok instead of Sarah Cooper, tRump wouldn't give a f@uck if China was getting our nuclear weapons specs through the app.

*I do admit that I am a feared that if we ever got into a conflict with China, all it would have to do is flip a master switch and at least have our sh@it would power down (including aircraft and weapon systems)
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
dajo9 said:

Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

Trump shares a lot of China's authoritarian values.

The Trump administration has been developing "intelligence reports" on journalists, for instance.

And technically, Trump is America.
okaydo
golden sloth said:

My favorite is the bit from the 70's about extremists, its funny how the world and the technology changes, but people's nature by and large, don't.

This is all speculative, but I think Cancel Culture is going to phase itself out in another two or three years. Its just too stupid and constricting to stick around, and the people fighting that war will get tired of the fight and move on to something more worthwhile.

Comedians complaining about cancel culture are really about them being thin-skinned about their critics having the ability of having a voice to criticize.

How many comedians are actually canceled For their opinions? Even Louis CK is able to make a living through comedy these days.

John Cleese's ridiculous tweet below exemplifies the thin-skinnedness.

calbear93
okaydo said:

golden sloth said:

Comedians complaining about cancel culture are really about them being thin-skinned about their critics having the ability of having a voice to criticize.

How many comedians are actually canceled For their opinions? Even Louis CK is able to make a living through comedy these days.

John Cleese tweet seems to be the least ridiculous portion of your post.

Don't be a Male Karen:

blungld
okaydo said:

I'm not sure exactly where I land on this other than hating the term "cancel culture." It's another one of those binary reductionist terms that becomes shorthand for "I am mad about something and somebody told me I could use this term even though I don't really get the complexity of the issue and am largely simply making a tribal declaration."

That aside, I don't think thin-skinned is the term you were looking for. Agree or disagree with him, but that adjective doesn't capture his disposition.
hanky1
China must be punished for unleashing the China Virus on the world
Anarchistbear
hanky1 said:

China must be punished for unleashing the China Virus on the world

That won't happen. We share too many values.
bearister
Bari Weiss rips cancel culture as 'social murder' on Bill Maher show | TheHill

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/510115-bari-weiss-rip-cancel-culture-as-social-murder-on-bill-maher-show
hanky1
Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

Okaydo doesn't understand what Cancel Culture is or what it actually refers to. He's slow to the game like how he missed the boat on Aaron Rodgers stinking.
hanky1
okaydo said:

dajo9 said:

Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

The Trump administration has been developing "intelligence reports" on journalists, for instance.

Orange Man Bad!

Orange Man Bad!

Orange Man Bad!
dajo9
Cancel culture ended Colin Kaepernick's career
American Vermin
okaydo
bearister said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/510115-bari-weiss-rip-cancel-culture-as-social-murder-on-bill-maher-show

Bari has a history of saying or doing something sh*tty then denying it. (She did the same during her Winter Olympics controversy.)

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/the-nyts-bari-weiss-falsely-denies-her-years-of-attacks-on-the-academic-freedom-of-arab-scholars-who-criticize-israel/

Krugman Is A Moron
okaydo said:

You meant to say "non-existent" cancel culture here. Right?

Twit.
calbear93
okaydo said:

bearister said:

Bari has a history of saying or doing something sh*tty then denying it. (She did the same during her Winter Olympics controversy.)

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/the-nyts-bari-weiss-falsely-denies-her-years-of-attacks-on-the-academic-freedom-of-arab-scholars-who-criticize-israel/

So attacking her now passes for critical thinking? What about her argument? Is critical thinking limited to what party, what person, and moral signals you want to send?

What parts of her points do you disagree with?
calbear93
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

dajo9 said:

Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

Orange Man Bad!

Orange Man Bad!
okaydo
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

dajo9 said:

Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

Orange Man Bad!

Orange Man Bad!

Orange Man Bad!

Agree
calbear93
hanky1 said:

Matthew Patel said:

okaydo said:

Okaydo doesn't understand what Cancel Culture is or what it actually refers to. He's slow to the game like how he missed the boat on Aaron Rodgers stinking.
And you were just ahead of the curve on Rodgers stinking by 15 years.
Krugman Is A Moron
bearister said:

As people have said with Bari Weiss, right message, wrong spokeperson. You can't speak out on something where you've been one of the biggest abusers.

"What makes Bari Weiss presenting herself as a victim of censorship or mob mentality kind of ironic and problematic is that she herself, when she was a student at Columbia University, really did a lot to smear certain professors as anti-Semites," Katie explains.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/useful-idiots-taibbi-thomas-chatterton-williams-cancel-culture-bari-weiss-nyt-1030497/

Anarchistbear
All this cancel culture bull**** is amusing being the narcissistic self aggrandizing of the pi$$ant Twitter classes.

You know who is really cancelled without regard for their "feelings, brand" or self referential wokeness"- at will employees who are fired at will and cast off without healthcare or a pot to pi$$ in. The guy or woman in the restaurant, warehouse, construction job, picking fruit or cleaning offices and houses . The people not on Twitter. You think they give a **** about Bari Weiss or John Cleese- educated, well off and spewing sanctimony from their at home computer. F$ck them all-they have the means to defend themselves.
bearister
...spewing sanctimony about those that spew sanctimony. A dream within a dream...

calbear93
bearister said:

...spewing sanctimony about those that spew sanctimony. A dream within a dream...

spewing sanctimony about those that spew sanctimony about those that spew sanctimony. Infinite mirror.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

hanky1 said:

He's slow to the game like how he missed the boat on Aaron Rodgers stinking.

True. Let me be the first to say that Patrick Mahomes has lost it and is not even a top 10 QB at this point. You all may disagree with me this year, next year or the year after. But one day I will be proven correct. Perhaps after Mahomes retires when COVID finally disappears and Trump is also proven correct for having predicted it successfully.

calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

hanky1 said:

He's slow to the game like how he missed the boat on Aaron Rodgers stinking.

True. Let me be the first to say that Patrick Mahomes has lost it and is not even a top 10 QB at this point. You all may disagree with me this year, next year or the year after. But one day I will be proven correct. Perhaps after Mahomes retires when COVID finally disappears and Trump is also proven correct for having predicted it successfully.

I could not agree more. You and I can look at this post 20 years from now and, when Mahomes is just a journey man at the age of 50, we can say, we predicted his downfall.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

golden sloth said:

John Cleese tweet seems to be the least ridiculous portion of your post.

I do find Cleese's argument ridiculous there, though. So you have to be talented at something in order to judge it? Sportswriters and fans can't judge who is a good football player unless they are good at football?
BancroftBear93
Okaydo, are you ethnically Chinese?
Eastern Oregon Bear
BancroftBear93 said:

Okaydo, are you ethnically Chinese?
Uh oh.
My favorite school days… “There is no substitute.”
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.