Hypothetical: Do you consider jogging through a cemetary socially unacceptable?

1,752 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm considering buying a condo/house but want to find a place near somewhere I can run that has some greenery. I found a few places that are near large cemeteries. Hence, my question, is jogging through a cemetery socially unacceptable? Obviously, if there were any funeral services or grievers, I would be respectful and stay away, but to me a cemetery just seems like a large, green, open space that usually fairly empty, so why not use it to enjoy a good jog?

Anyway, I'm unsure, hence tossing the question out to the world at large.

And no, I don't believe in spirits or anything like that.
82gradDLSdad
golden sloth said:

I'm considering buying a condo/house but want to find a place near somewhere I can run that has some greenery. I found a few places that are near large cemeteries. Hence, my question, is jogging through a cemetery socially unacceptable? Obviously, if there were any funeral services or grievers, I would be respectful and stay away, but to me a cemetery just seems like a large, green, open space that usually fairly empty, so why not use it to enjoy a good jog?

I don't think so. One of our fun side trips is to pick up my wife's aunt and uncle and drive around and stop in Holy Cross cemetery in Colma. He used to be the head of operations there and he gives us a different tour of the grounds all the time. No one appears bothered and he's been retired long enough that not everyone knows him (us). I think jogging would be fine. I actually get inspired on my long birthday bike ride that goes right by a cemetery in Antioch. No matter how bad I feel I always think that the alternative is worse.
calbear93
golden sloth said:

Well, considering that a cemetery is private property, with plots purchased by individuals, going there for a jog is probably not the most considerate thing to do. You probably don't want someone jogging through your backyard.

Not sure I would even buy a house near a cemetery. It's fine as long as you never want to see the value of your house/condo rise like the rest of the neighborhood.
dajo9
I can't think of a more useless use of land than a cemetary. The owners should be paying property taxes.
American Vermin
Big C
This question, sort of, came up on a thread on Growls when people were looking for wide open spaces to walk around in, during the shelter-in-place. (Mountain View Cemetery, in Oakland, was open at first, but then closed to the public... had historically been open).

You could inquire about the protocol at their office, maybe.
bearister
Love Running in Graveyards, but Is That OK?

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a24481817/i-love-running-in-graveyards-but-is-that-ok/

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Anarchistbear
California cemeteries suck, basically warehouses without the mythology that makes cemeteries interesting. I'd move to the South or New England if you want to run in a cemetery

dimitrig
golden sloth said:

I don't see an issue with it. People birdwatch and so on. I actually think it is nice if people visit cemeteries. I do.

sonofabear51
Being a long distance runner for over 40 years, I have only run thru one cemetery. It was in Prescott Arizona, and maybe it was me, but it was creepy as hell. Never again. Do what you feel, but for me, it is a never again.
okaydo
golden sloth said:

There's a movie called Blindspotting. It's about a guy who jogs in Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland. President Obama* named it one of his favorite films of 2018. If the former president recommends a film about jogging in a cemetery, then it's okay.

(*Although conservatives have been harrumphing about Obama giving a political-sounding speech during John Lewis' funeral, when Lewis wanted his funeral to be political.)

There's a cemetery in my neck of the woods called Hollywood Forever Cemetery. It's been around since the 1800s, and is the final resting place for Chris Cornell, Judy Garland (who was buried there in 2017), Bugsy Siegel, Cecil B. DeMille, Bugs Bunny's voice, William Randolph Heart's mistress, several of The Ramones and my high school friend who committed suicide at age 16.

It's also the home to weekly movie nights during the summer. It was also home to the Breaking Bad reunion special. It was also featured on the HBO show Insecure.

Is that disrespectful?

BearChemist
In House of Cards Season 1 or 2, Claire Underwood jogged through a cemetery and got scowled by an unnamed lady (Karen?).
Unit2Sucks
I think its inconsiderate to jog through a cemetary. Think of the mourners there for a quiet moment with a deceased relative and you comes flying by. Probably not a good look, even if most people aren't offended.

If you do decide to do it though, I definitely wouldn't whistle.
BearForce2
Democrats: Jogging through a cemetery is inconsiderate. Burning federal courthouses? What courthouse?

Okaydo: Obama's favorite movie has a guy jogging through an Oakland cemetery, therefore, there's nothing wrong with jogging through a cemetery.

BearForce2
AunBear89
Republicans: I'll do whatever the f I want. And I'm not wearing a mask while I do it. It's not a mask, it's a muzzle! FREEDOM!
bearister
AunBear89 said:

Republicans: I'll do whatever the f I want. And I'm not wearing a mask while I do it. It's not a mask, it's a muzzle! FREEDOM!

...and if I see the grave stones of any famous Republicans, or even lesser ones:
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.