R.I.P. Ralph Barbieri

1,095 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Razor

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearForce2
I listened to the Razor and Tom Tolbert on the long drive back home after work over the years. Not sure if KNBR let him go because of poor ratings or if it had something to do with his struggle with Parkinson's disease, like missing work.

bearister
Whatever the reason, The Razor settled for $4,000,000
BearForce2
bearister said:

That wasn't too long ago, around 2013. How much of that goes to legal fees typically?

bearister
BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

That wasn't too long ago, around 2013. How much of that goes to legal fees typically?

Our contingency fee agreement provided for 33% of any settlement and 40% after trial. Costs come off the top before the fee is calculated (lawyers usually advance the costs). If no recovery, the attorney doesn't get paid and usually eats the costs advanced too. It would be very rare for a plaintiff in a wrongful termination case to have the attorney handle the case on an hourly fee basis. Ralph probably paid his lawyer $1.3 million.
Krugman Is A Moron
bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Our contingency fee agreement provided for 33% of any settlement and 40% after trial. Costs come off the top before the fee is calculated (lawyers usually advance the costs).
And lawyers always inflate the costs.
BearForce2
bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Our contingency fee agreement provided for 33% of any settlement and 40% after trial. Costs come off the top before the fee is calculated (lawyers usually advance the costs). If no recovery, the attorney doesn't get paid and usually eats the costs advanced too. It would be very rare for a plaintiff in a wrongful termination case to have the attorney handle the case on an hourly fee basis. Ralph probably paid his lawyer $1.3 million.
That was higher than I expected but still a large sum for Ralph, all of it probably going to his son.
bearister
Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Our contingency fee agreement provided for 33% of any settlement and 40% after trial. Costs come off the top before the fee is calculated (lawyers usually advance the costs).

Some may pad their hours when on an hourly fee basis, but costs are supported by invoicing from 3rd parties (like court reporters, clerk's office, and expert witness fees) so you would have to be a big time crook to inflate costs. Yes, padding hours is illegal, but some unethical lawyers do it because it can be hard to prove.
Krugman Is A Moron
bearister said:

Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Some may pad their hours when on an hourly fee basis, but costs are supported by invoicing from 3rd parties (like court reporters, clerk's office, and expert witness fees) so you would have to be a big time crook to inflate costs. Yes, padding hours is illegal, but some unethical lawyers do it because it can be hard to prove.
All lawyers pad their costs. They bill at their usual rate for tasks that don't require a law degree. Like how long it took to write something when they were spending 90% of that time posting on this site.
82gradDLSdad
Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

All lawyers pad their costs. They bill at their usual rate for tasks that don't require a law degree. Like how long it took to write something when they were spending 90% of that time posting on this site.

My wife had a long career as a paralegal. She drew up many documents that were signed as is by the lawyers who would then bill the client as if they had written it. She didn't make what the lawyers made.
bearister
Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

You are still confusing costs with fees. A cost is when the attorney pays a 3rd party to provide a service in connection with the case. Any charge paid to the clerk's office (filing fee for complaint, motion fee, jury fees, etc) is also a cost. As you know, I'm retired, so I'm not f'ing anyone...and never did.....and remember, for every crooked lawyer, there is a stable full of unethical business clients trying to cheat the system.
Krugman Is A Moron
bearister said:

Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

You are still confusing costs with fees. A cost is when the attorney pays a 3rd party to provide a service in connection with the case. Any charge paid to the clerk's office (filing fee for complaint, motion fee, jury fees, etc) is also a cost. As you know, I'm retired, so I'm not f'ing anyone...and never did.....and remember, for every crooked lawyer, there is a stable full of unethical business clients trying to cheat the system.
Oh, no doubt there.
wifeisafurd
Matthew Patel said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

And Judges always cut their recoveries
wifeisafurd
I'm sensing an anti-palintiff attorneys bias here. If you think it is al just peaches and cream and they don't have to pick their cases selectively (they show merit) give A Civil Action a read (and this from a guy who was with law firms that represented big, greedy deep pockets).
82gradDLSdad
wifeisafurd said:

I'm sensing an anti-palintiff attorneys bias here. If you think it is al just peaches and cream and they don't have to pick their cases selectively (they show merit) give A Civil Action a read (and this from a guy who was with law firms that represented big, greedy deep pockets).

Great movie
joe amos yaks
RtR ... irritating, entertaining, and in denial to the end game.
Up you go, Ralphie!
joe amos yaks
wifeisafurd said:

Must be Santa Clara County.
bearister
I remember as a young lawyer seeing the Paul Newman movie, The Verdict. There is a scene where Newman, a down and out alcoholic lawyer, has a panic attack in a restroom because he hasn't tried a big case in years. I had a trial coming up the next week and that scene freaked me out.

82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

I remember as a young lawyer seeing the Paul Newman movie, The Verdict. There is a scene where Newman, a down and out alcoholic lawyer, has a panic attack in a restroom because he hasn't tried a big case in years. I had a trial coming up the next week and that scene freaked me out.

Another great movie
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.