Dems win both senate seats in Georgia!

5,203 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?

With 8% of the votes in, the democrats have massive leads. Congratulations to Ossoff and Warnock for winning their elections. The only way they could lose at this point is through fraud. I think they have something like a 1 in 4 quadrillion chance of losing. They should immediately cease counting any more votes to prevent Republicans from stealing the election.

blungld
Unit2Sucks said:

With 8% of the votes in, the democrats have massive leads. Congratulations to Ossoff and Warnock for winning their elections. The only way they could lose at this point is through fraud. I think they have something like a 1 in 4 quadrillion chance of losing. They should immediately cease counting any more votes to prevent Republicans from stealing the election.

Yeah, the election is done. If the numbers change then the voting machines must be flipping the results and there is massive fraud and if the Dems lose there needs to be two months of recounts and investigations and the losers need to be given space to process the results.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
BearlyCareAnymore
Unit2Sucks said:

Stop the count! Stop the count!
sycasey
blungld
sycasey said:

Let's wait and see who won...to know whether this election counts or not.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
prospeCt

chazzed
sycasey
blungld said:

sycasey said:

Let's wait and see who won...to know whether this election counts or not.

Gotta wait for the Secretary of State to find more votes.
Unit2Sucks
I can't wait for the lawsuits. Should I book Four Seasons Total Landscaping now? Seems like an arbitrage opportunity.
prospeCt

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/donald-trump-inauguration-scotland

sycasey

Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader
Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

I can't wait for the lawsuits. Should I book Four Seasons Total Landscaping now? Seems like an arbitrage opportunity.
In Atlanta, I've found Four Seasons Apartments, Four Seasons Sporting Goods and Four Seasons Sunroom Contractors. All three might do, but they lack the grandeur and gravitas of Four Seasons Total Landscaping.
okaydo

okaydo

dimitrig

Seems too good to be true!

concordtom
I decided not to look at the news all day and night, expecting GOP would win both.
But I just looked and oh my goodness I feel giddy up big time!!
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
One more calling it:

We all sleeping good tonight. Much better than...

B.A. Bearacus
BearNIt
Captain Catastrophe's stamp is all over this loss for the Republican Party. They failed to show any type of backbone and independence from the Mad King and the people recognized it. Stacy Abrams organized with others on the ground and flipped Georgia. Biden & Harris will have to be careful with such a slim majority but they move forward with getting this country back on track. As I said before Captain Chaos was elected, it was my belief that his election would tear the Republican Party apart, and if Georgia is any measure the Republican Party should do everything possible to dethrone the Mad King before he starts using the almost billion dollars he has collected since the election to maintain control over the party. They created the monster and now he can't be controlled. Looking forward to having adults run this country and the pillars of this Republic to be strengthened.
OneKeg
Ossoff's lead over Perdue now at 12.8k (0.3%). Hopefully on track to pass the Georgia recount threshold, which I believe is 0.5%.

Warnock winning more easily over Loeffler with an almost 50k lead (1.2%).

If the Democrats gain control of the Senate:
Filibuster and conservative/centrist Dems like Joe Manchin (and maybe Kyrsten Sinema) will block a ton of legislation and block eliminating the filibuster itself. But hopefully Dem control will clear the gridlock on further stimulus. Will also allow more freedom of cabinet/court appointments I think.

Next in priority (would have to be done through reconciliation to avoid the filibuster), H.R. 1.

Tons of other things to prioritize after that. DC Statehood.

Justice Breyer, please retire in a month.
okaydo
concordtom said:

I decided not to look at the news all day and night, expecting GOP would win both.
But I just looked and oh my goodness I feel giddy up big time!!

I avoided the news from the times polls closed at 4 pm to 9 pm. (I was asleep, actually.) But, yeah, I hate the stress.
okaydo
OneKeg said:

Ossoff's lead over Perdue now at 12.8k (0.3%). Hopefully on track to pass the Georgia recount threshold, which I believe is 0.5%.

Warnock winning more easily over Loeffler with an almost 50k lead (1.2%).

If the Democrats gain control of the Senate:
Filibuster and conservative/centrist Dems like Joe Manchin (and maybe Kyrsten Sinema) will block a ton of legislation and block eliminating the filibuster itself. But hopefully Dem control will clear the gridlock on further stimulus. Will also allow more freedom of cabinet/court appointments I think.

Next in priority (would have to be done through reconciliation to avoid the filibuster), H.R. 1.

Tons of other things to prioritize after that. DC Statehood.

Justice Breyer, please retire in a month.

That's good news. Warnock is up for reelection in 2022, while Osoff won't be up for reelection until 2026.

Perhaps Stacey Abrams could run for governor in 2022 and 2026.
B.A. Bearacus
Big C
BearNIt said:

Captain Catastrophe's stamp is all over this loss for the Republican Party. They failed to show any type of backbone and independence from the Mad King and the people recognized it. Stacy Abrams organized with others on the ground and flipped Georgia. Biden & Harris will have to be careful with such a slim majority but they move forward with getting this country back on track. As I said before Captain Chaos was elected, it was my belief that his election would tear the Republican Party apart, and if Georgia is any measure the Republican Party should do everything possible to dethrone the Mad King before he starts using the almost billion dollars he has collected since the election to maintain control over the party. They created the monster and now he can't be controlled. Looking forward to having adults run this country and the pillars of this Republic to be strengthened.

Trump helped to lose this election for Perdue and Loeffler. Just enough Georgians didn't like his phone call to their Secretary of State nor what he had to say (all about himself) at his rally the day before the election. While plenty of Trump voters have liked his behavior since November 3rd, not all of them have, by any means. He is less popular than he was before.

Republicans willing to stand up to Trump are becoming emboldened, as he begins to be covered with the hideous stench of a loser.
concordtom
Sadly, Lindsey and McConnell, the two most prominent Trump supporters in the Senate, won their re-election in 2020. But perhaps that's fitting, to have them suffer in the minority. Retirement may have been an easier path for them.

concordtom
I cannot imagine a path for the GOP to regain the Senate in 2022. So, it's lost for 4 years.
Scott Jennings (GOP talking head on CNN) seemed to relish losing the Senate so that the Democrats can be blamed for EVERYTHING bad that may happen in the next 18 months - allowing GOP to retake the House in 2022. So sad the way politics are these days. It's about "our team winning, your team losing" and not "what's best for the nation".
concordtom
B.A. Bearacus said:

I did some quick math last night and if there are 4.4M votes cast, a candidate would need to be ahead by more than 22,000 votes (.5% threshold) to avoid recount.
Warnock is more than double that.
Ossoff is not. As of 6:13am PST, Ossoff is ahead by 16,000.

But I also read that the mandatory .5% recount will simply mean running the ballots through the scanners again, and that a hand recount is only for Presidential elections, not a January runoff. That would seem to make it quicker and more straight forward.

Also, we should not expect a bunch of late mail-ins, as they had to have arrived by the close of polls last night. Drop boxes should have been collected at that time as well. There could be some overseas stuff that was postmarked by last night and arrived by Friday.

No doubt GOP will try lawsuits to save this final seat, but they will have to come up with a bunch of newly invented nonsense. Good luck (saving the shreds of a reputation you actually don't have).
okaydo
Big C said:

BearNIt said:

Trump helped to lose this election for Perdue and Loeffler. Just enough Georgians didn't like his phone call to their Secretary of State nor what he had to say (all about himself) at his rally the day before the election. While plenty of Trump voters have liked his behavior since November 3rd, not all of them have, by any means. He is less popular than he was before.

Republicans willing to stand up to Trump are becoming emboldened, as he begins to be covered with the hideous stench of a loser.

An interesting analysis that I read (published 2 months ago) pointed out that there are Trump voters who aren't necessarily Democratic voters. Just like their were Obama voters who didn't vote when he wasn't on the ballot.

(Update: Dajo9 bumped his thread from last month posting something similar)

I think that played a big role, as well as having 2 unlikable cartoon villain candidates, including one who was pretty damn racist.

Another thing: A lot of TV shows and movies are filmed in Georgia, so it's become Hollywood-ized. Also, Atlanta has become a world-class city. Or so I hear.

Also:

concordtom
okaydo said:

Also, if there are lessons, Democrats should always try to run in elections where their opponents place personal-gain stock trading positions after insider intelligence briefs!
concordtom
Ossoff lead now up to 17,000.
If he can get to 22,000+, there may be no recount.

There are 65,000 votes left to count, just said.
Most are in Dem leading areas, and Purdue would need 60% of those votes to overtake Ossoff. Not gonna happen, more likely is Ossoff lead expands, perhaps to that .05% threshold.

This race is OVER.
McConnell has to eat caa-caa !!! I love it!!!
okaydo
okaydo
sycasey
Ossoff's vote lead right now is bigger than Biden's lead in November (and likely to widen). No way a recount reverses it. It's over.
Unit2Sucks
It's still amazing it was that close. Both R senate candidates were horrible. I suppose the dem candidates were pretty bad as well if we are being honest given their lack of experience but Loeffler and Perdue were obvious crooks and cartoon villains like Okaydo pointed out.

Republicans still have a slight majority of their representative seats and one of those is a Qanon moron.

This is a long way of saying that Georgia may not be as purple as we think but hopefully it continues to move in that direction. I think we are going to see a fairly moderate majority in the senate and that the progressive wing will be frustrated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.