Dems win both senate seats in Georgia!

5,134 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Eastern Oregon Bear
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

It's still amazing it was that close. Both R senate candidates were horrible. I suppose the dem candidates were pretty bad as well if we are being honest given their lack of experience but Loeffler and Perdue were obvious crooks and cartoon villains like Okaydo pointed out.
When you consider how close the Presidential race was, and Trump also being an obvious cartoon villain . . . not amazing at all.
Anarchistbear
Unit2Sucks said:

It's still amazing it was that close. Both R senate candidates were horrible. I suppose the dem candidates were pretty bad as well if we are being honest given their lack of experience but Loeffler and Perdue were obvious crooks and cartoon villains like Okaydo pointed out.

Republicans still have a slight majority of their representative seats and one of those is a Qanon moron.

This is a long way of saying that Georgia may not be as purple as we think but hopefully it continues to move in that direction. I think we are going to see a fairly moderate majority in the senate and that the progressive wing will be frustrated.

They were not only crooks, they ran horrible campaigns. Trying to paint Biden and a black preacher as the leading edge of Marxism was nuts. Plus given a choice I'll vote for the person giving me $2000 not $600.
prospeCt
Merick Garland , AG

BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

I cannot imagine a path for the GOP to regain the Senate in 2022. So, it's lost for 4 years.
Scott Jennings (GOP talking head on CNN) seemed to relish losing the Senate so that the Democrats can be blamed for EVERYTHING bad that may happen in the next 18 months - allowing GOP to retake the House in 2022. So sad the way politics are these days. It's about "our team winning, your team losing" and not "what's best for the nation".

Disagree 2022 is very competitive. Democrats have solid pick up opportunities in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Republicans in Arizona, Georgia, Nevada New Hampshire. Those most likely determine the senate and I wouldn't bet either way on any of that. Democrats have possible, not great opportunities in Florida, Iowa, Missouri and Republicans in Colorado, but I'd bet they don't flip.
sycasey
OneKeg said:

If the Democrats gain control of the Senate:
Filibuster and conservative/centrist Dems like Joe Manchin (and maybe Kyrsten Sinema) will block a ton of legislation and block eliminating the filibuster itself. But hopefully Dem control will clear the gridlock on further stimulus. Will also allow more freedom of cabinet/court appointments I think.

Next in priority (would have to be done through reconciliation to avoid the filibuster), H.R. 1.
I agree with all of that. First thing to pass is further COVID stimulus and more funding/assistance to help states distribute the vaccine.

Next thing is HR1 to protect future elections.

After that, I might go for the public option for health insurance. That seems like enough to keep them occupied for the first two years.

If McConnell wants to filibuster any of this, then every Democrat needs to be out there every day talking about how Republicans don't care about beating the virus, don't want to protect your vote, and don't want you to have health care. There will be ample evidence for all of these claims. Beat them over the head with it. Also, if Mitch does keep digging in his heels against popular legislation, that will help grease the wheels for folks like Manchin and Sinema to come around on supporting the elimination of the filibuster. Play hardball.
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

I cannot imagine a path for the GOP to regain the Senate in 2022. So, it's lost for 4 years.
Scott Jennings (GOP talking head on CNN) seemed to relish losing the Senate so that the Democrats can be blamed for EVERYTHING bad that may happen in the next 18 months - allowing GOP to retake the House in 2022. So sad the way politics are these days. It's about "our team winning, your team losing" and not "what's best for the nation".

Disagree 2022 is very competitive.
Democrats have solid pick up opportunities in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.
Republicans in Arizona, Georgia, Nevada New Hampshire. Those most likely determine the senate and I wouldn't bet either way on any of that.
Democrats have possible, not great opportunities in Florida, Iowa, Missouri and
Republicans in Colorado, but I'd bet they don't flip.
Okay, well, I was just going on the fact that there are 34 seats up for vote, and about 22 of them are GOP while only 11 Dem.
concordtom
sycasey said:

If McConnell wants to filibuster any of this,
Don't discount the possibility that McConnell drops dead from a heart attack.
concordtom
Or that certain GOP senators step down in order to cash in on private party salaries the way Paul Ryan did:

Post-congressional life

In March 2019, Ryan joined the board of directors of Fox Corporation, $335,000 compensation for his board seat. He has since joined the faculty of the University of Notre Dame as a professor of practice for the 201920 academic year as a guest lecturer in political science and economics. In April 2019, Ryan was nominated as the delegation leader to represent President Trump to visit Taipei. With Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen, he attended the 40th anniversary ceremony of the Taiwan Relations Act.
Recently, he has been named to the board of trustees of the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C.
Who knows what else.
concordtom
Here are seven Senate races to keep an eye on next cycle:

Florida

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) won by a comfortable 8-point margin the last time he was up for reelection in 2016. But since then, Democratic antipathy toward the second-term Florida senator has only deepened as he's aligned himself closer and closer with President Trump's populist wing of the GOP.

Within days of the 2020 presidential election, a newly formed super PAC launched an ad calling on Florida voters to "Retire Rubio." Democrats in the state have also begun to float potential 2022 challengers, including Reps. Val Demings (D-Fla.) and Stephanie Murray (D-Fla.).

At the same time, Rubio will appear on the ballot alongside Gov. Ron DeSantis, a fellow Republican who has seen his approval rating tank over the past several months due in large part to his lax handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

But Rubio, a contender for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination who is seen as a potential 2024 White House hopeful, likely won't prove easy to beat. He has a high profile both in Florida and nationally, and the GOP is expected to spend heavily to defend his seat.

What's more, he's heading into his reelection campaign after Trump pulled off back-to-back wins in Florida, a pair of victories that have prompted some political observers to wonder whether the nation's largest swing state is drifting further to the right.

Georgia

Sen. Kelly Loeffler's (R-Ga.) fate in the upper chamber has yet to be decided.

She's facing a competitive runoff election on Jan. 5 against Democrat Raphael Warnock that will play a critical role in determining the balance of power in the Senate when President-elect Joe Biden takes office later this month.

But regardless of which candidate emerges victorious in that runoff, they're likely to face a tough reelection bid in 2022, when they'll have to run for their first full-term in the chamber.

Georgia has long been a political stronghold for Republicans. Democrats haven't held the governor's mansion since 2003, and they haven't won a Senate race in the state since 2000.

But the state is now considered among the fastest-changing and most diverse electoral battlegrounds, with Biden becoming the first Democrat in nearly 30 years last month to carry the state in a presidential election.

Nevertheless, there's still a strong conservative base in the state, suggesting that whomever runs for Senate in two years will likely find themselves in one of the most competitive and expensive races of the 2022 election cycle.

North Carolina: OPEN

Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) announced months before his last reelection bid in 2016 that it would be his last, meaning that neither party will have the power of incumbency in 2022.

Burr's coming retirement sets up a scramble for a Senate seat in a crucial and rapidly changing battleground state after Democrat Cal Cunningham struck out in his bid to unseat Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) last month.

State Sen. Erica Smith, who lost a primary to Cunningham earlier this year, has already indicated that she will run for Burr's seat in 2022. Other potential Democratic contenders include state Sen. Jeff Jackson, who has said that he will make a decision in January, and state Attorney General Josh Stein.

Meanwhile, Rep. Mark Walker (R-N.C.) has already announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination in North Carolina. But he's not expected to be alone in the field. Former Gov. Pat McCrory has said that he is considering a Senate run in 2022, and President Trump's daughter-in-law Lara Trump is also said to be a potential contender.

Pennsylvania: OPEN

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) announced in October that he would not seek reelection in 2022, leaving the field to replace him wide open.

Both the Republican and Democratic primary fields are expected to get crowded.

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who ran unsuccessfully for the Democratic nomination to challenge Toomey in 2016, is seen as a potential candidate for the seat. So are Reps. Connor Lamb (D-Pa.) and Chrissy Houlahan (D-Pa.), who both flipped GOP-held House seats in recent years.

Several Republicans have also been mentioned as potential successors to Toomey, including former Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) and Jeff Bartos, a real estate developer who ran unsuccessfully for lieutenant governor in 2018.

Democrats are riding high after Biden scored a narrow victory in the presidential election in Pennsylvania this year, recapturing a state that Trump carried by only 44,000 votes in 2016. But they'll need to maintain strong support among suburban voters and drive up turnout in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to flip Toomey's seat next cycle.

Wisconsin

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) hasn't said yet whether he will run for a third term, but Democrats are already angling to take him out in 2022.

Few Republican senators have enraged Democrats as much as Johnson, who has used his position as chair of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Committee to investigate Trump's political enemies, including Biden's son Hunter.

Johnson has already drawn a Democratic challenger in Tom Nelson, a county executive and former majority leader in the state General Assembly. Other Democrats mentioned as potential candidates include Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes, the first African American to hold the office.

During his last reelection bid in 2016, Johnson defeated his Democratic opponent Russ Feingold by just over 3 points, outperforming Trump, who beat Hillary Clinton in the state by less than 1 point that year.

But since then, Democrats have seen some positive trends. Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) won reelection in 2018 by an 11-point margin, the same year that Gov. Tony Evers (D) ousted former Gov. Scott Walker (R). And last month, Biden narrowly beat Trump in the state, reclaiming it for Democrats after a disappointing loss in 2016.

Still, Johnson has faced tough challenges in the past. National Republicans had largely written him off in 2016 before he eked out a win.

Arizona

Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.) will be on the ballot once again in 2022 after defeating former Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) in a hotly contested special election last month.

Kelly's win was a major victory for Democrats, handing the party control of both of Arizona's Senate seats for the first time in nearly 70 years. It was also the latest sign of the state's shift from a Republican stronghold to a competitive battleground.

But Republicans are poised to go after Kelly in 2022 and are already eyeing potential recruits, most notably Gov. Doug Ducey (R), who was reelected to his role in 2018 and won't be able to run for another four years in office due to term limits. Kelly Ward, the chair of the Arizona GOP who ran unsuccessfully in a primary against McSally in 2018, has also been floated as a potential 2022 candidate.

Kelly likely won't prove easy to get rid of. He outperformed Biden on the ballot in Arizona this year and was among the most prolific fundraisers of the 2020 election cycle, pulling in nearly $100 million for his campaign.

New Hampshire

Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.) will face her first reelection bid in 2022 after narrowly beating former Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) in 2016 by just a tenth of a percentage point. That same year, Clinton carried the Granite State by a scant 0.3 percentage points.

But after the 2020 elections, there are signs that the playing field has improved for Democrats at the federal level. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) won reelection by a nearly 16-point margin and Biden beat Trump there by more than 7 points, a significant improvement over Clinton's 2016 margin of victory.

GOP senator: Trump rhetoric on election fraud 'certainly not helpful...
Georgia Senate races shatter spending records
At the state level, however, New Hampshire presents more of a challenge for Democrats. The party lost control of both the state House and Senate this year, while Gov. Chris Sununu (R) coasted to a second term with more than 65 percent of the vote.

What's more, Sununu is seen as a potential challenger to Hassan in 2022. Last month, Sununu's campaign manager Paul Collins took aim at Hassan in a tweet that political observers in the state widely interpreted as a hint about the governor's future political plans.

If Sununu ultimately decides to jump into the 2022 Senate race, Hassan could be in for a tough fight.

dajo9
sycasey said:

OneKeg said:

Filibuster and conservative/centrist Dems like Joe Manchin (and maybe Kyrsten Sinema) will block a ton of legislation and block eliminating the filibuster itself. But hopefully Dem control will clear the gridlock on further stimulus. Will also allow more freedom of cabinet/court appointments I think.

Next in priority (would have to be done through reconciliation to avoid the filibuster), H.R. 1.
I agree with all of that. First thing to pass is further COVID stimulus and more funding/assistance to help states distribute the vaccine. FILIBUSTERED

Next thing is HR1 to protect future elections. FILIBUSTERED

After that, I might go for the public option for health insurance. That seems like enough to keep them occupied for the first two years. FILIBUSTERED

If McConnell wants to filibuster any of this, then every Democrat needs to be out there every day talking about how Republicans don't care about beating the virus, don't want to protect your vote, and don't want you to have health care. There will be ample evidence for all of these claims. Beat them over the head with it. Also, if Mitch does keep digging in his heels against popular legislation, that will help grease the wheels for folks like Manchin and Sinema to come around on supporting the elimination of the filibuster. Play hardball. NONE OF THIS MATTERS. WHAT MATTERS IS WHAT MEDIA PEOPLE WATCH.
I put the results of all this in bold
American Vermin
sycasey
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

OneKeg said:

I agree with all of that. First thing to pass is further COVID stimulus and more funding/assistance to help states distribute the vaccine. FILIBUSTERED

Next thing is HR1 to protect future elections. FILIBUSTERED

After that, I might go for the public option for health insurance. That seems like enough to keep them occupied for the first two years. FILIBUSTERED

If McConnell wants to filibuster any of this, then every Democrat needs to be out there every day talking about how Republicans don't care about beating the virus, don't want to protect your vote, and don't want you to have health care. There will be ample evidence for all of these claims. Beat them over the head with it. Also, if Mitch does keep digging in his heels against popular legislation, that will help grease the wheels for folks like Manchin and Sinema to come around on supporting the elimination of the filibuster. Play hardball. NONE OF THIS MATTERS. WHAT MATTERS IS WHAT MEDIA PEOPLE WATCH.
I put the results of all this in bold
I disagree that none of it matters. There are enough close states (like NC, FL, WI) where winning over voters on the margins does matter. Not all of these people are in thrall to the right-wing media sphere.
smh
> Here are seven Senate races to keep an eye on next cycle..

fwiw Hill src link: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/530880-seven-senate-races-to-watch-in-2022
> BY MAX GREENWOOD - 01/01/21 4032 comments
GoOskie
B.A. Bearacus said:

Prescient, Miss Lindsey.
This just in: Republicans find another whistleblower who claims Hillary's emails were proven to be on Hunter's laptop while Obama spied on tRump as he sat (shat?) upon his golden toilet. Gym Jordan afraid whistle blower may be in danger of abduction by aliens in cahoots with Democrats.
GoOskie
okaydo said:

If trump and jr had a terrible plane mishap, would I be a bad person if I celebrated like it was 1999?
This just in: Republicans find another whistleblower who claims Hillary's emails were proven to be on Hunter's laptop while Obama spied on tRump as he sat (shat?) upon his golden toilet. Gym Jordan afraid whistle blower may be in danger of abduction by aliens in cahoots with Democrats.
concordtom
I sometimes debate myself in pasting long text vs links.
Both have their +/-

Text:
+ no need to click and open another browser tab, info is right there in line
- makes the scrolling thru of messages painful

Link:
+ short, much better for scrolling.
- people don't often click on the link and so the information add dies.

Sorry if I did it wrong for you this time. It was long, I know.
concordtom
GoOskie said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Prescient.
Which is more/less attractive for Graham?

A) Lose last November and suffer the humiliation, but get to ride of to earn private sector money?
B) Win last November and have to stay as an underling in the Senate?
BearNIt
prospeCt said:

Merick Garland , AG

Loved this song when it came out. Merick Garland 5 years later still has a shot at SCOTUS. I could see a scenario with a retirement and Garland being elevated.
BearlyCareAnymore
smh said:

fwiw Hill src link: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/530880-seven-senate-races-to-watch-in-2022

Take off Florida. Add on Nevada.

I'm no longer buying Florida as purple. It is maroon. Rubio won easily last time. He is an incumbent. As I noted, it is one to watch, but I would put money on Rubio. If the Democrats win this, it has been a really good night.

Nevada was extremely close last time. It is an off year election. If I had to put money, I'd put money on the Democrat, but I wouldn't bet this one at all.

The most likely range of results is Dems +3 to Reps +4. Honestly, those might be the two most likely results with 7 very close races being determined by the mood of the country.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

smh said:

I'm no longer buying Florida as purple. It is maroon. Rubio won easily last time. He is an incumbent. As I noted, it is one to watch, but I would put money on Rubio. If the Democrats win this, it has been a really good night.

Nevada was extremely close last time. It is an off year election. If I had to put money, I'd put money on the Democrat, but I wouldn't bet this one at all.

The most likely range of results is Dems +3 to Reps +4. Honestly, those might be the two most likely results with 7 very close races being determined by the mood of the country.
Nevada seems to have a Democratic machine on par with what Republicans have in Florida. In any close scenario it seems to always go blue.
BearlyCareAnymore
BearNIt said:

prospeCt said:

Merick Garland , AG

Loved this song when it came out. Merick Garland 5 years later still has a shot at SCOTUS. I could see a scenario with a retirement and Garland being elevated.
Not going to happen. Too old. Too moderate. He was a compromise 4 years ago to try to guilt Republicans into confirmation and give them no excuse.

Word is that picking Garland as AG clears the path for Biden to nominate a judge from the DC District Court to fill Garland's position on the DC Circuit Court and that he will use that to then nominate her for Supreme Court when Breyer retires. This only worked if the Democrats won in Georgia as the Republicans know what is up and would have blocked her appointment. Hence the AG announcement today. (which also tells you that the Biden team is positive that Ossoff has won.)
smh
concordtom said:

hey, it's all good cc. bonus links are handy to follow back to comment sections, or not.
BearNIt
OaktownBear said:

BearNIt said:

prospeCt said:

Merick Garland , AG

Not going to happen. Too old. Too moderate. He was a compromise 4 years ago to try to guilt Republicans into confirmation and give them no excuse.

Word is that picking Garland as AG clears the path for Biden to nominate a judge from the DC District Court to fill Garland's position on the DC Circuit Court and that he will use that to then nominate her for Supreme Court when Breyer retires. This only worked if the Democrats won in Georgia as the Republicans know what is up and would have blocked her appointment. Hence the AG announcement today. (which also tells you that the Biden team is positive that Ossoff has won.)
Interesting take on things, I will keep an eye out for breaking news.
concordtom
BearNIt said:

prospeCt said:

Merick Garland , AG

Oh, absolutely!
Though, his increasing age makes that less likely. Presidents go after younger folks so they stay for a long time.
It'll be something to have Garland conceivably overseeing prosecutions of Team Trump - though they had nothing to do with his losing the SC appointment. Now, if Garland could go after McConnell!!!
concordtom
smh said:

concordtom said:

hey, it's all good cc. bonus links are handy to follow back to comment sections, or not.
Agreed. I had thought of that, too, but failed to copy/paste it.
I spent my wad on bolding for improved reading. ha.
BearChemist
sycasey
So are polls still broken?

golden sloth
OaktownBear said:

smh said:

Yea, I think the only way Rubio doesn't get re-elected is if Trump runs against him in the primary.
concordtom
golden sloth said:

Yea, I think the only way Rubio doesn't get re-elected is if Trump runs against him in the primary.

Oh, goodness gracious!
Senator Trump???
Ha ha ha!
"The freshman Senator from Florida...."

Yeah, I'd vote for that! If only to see him waiting his turn to speak for 5 minutes in a subcommittee hearing. Or to ask some insightful questions of a presidential appointee.

BLAMMM!!! "The Senator's time has expired."
okaydo
concordtom said:

golden sloth said:

Oh, goodness gracious!
Senator Trump???
Ha ha ha!
"The freshman Senator from Florida...."

Yeah, I'd vote for that! If only to see him waiting his turn to speak for 5 minutes in a subcommittee hearing. Or to ask some insightful questions of a presidential appointee.

BLAMMM!!! "The Senator's time has expired."

There's talk of IVANKA RUNNING.
concordtom
Barffff!

That would also be a spectacle of the ridiculous.
Perhaps FoxNews reporters could ask her who she's wearing.

A: "My Father."
going4roses
Bruv @ white WHATTTTTTT?
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Eastern Oregon Bear
White Supr Black Lesbian said:

sycasey said:

So are polls still broken?

Yes

Yogi, I'm a little surprised to see that you now self-identify as a black lesbian. That took courage. Have you switched restrooms?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.