Page 432 of 434 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434 LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 6501

Thread: cal's monster class deux

you took a lot of words to basically say he is a jerk .. his photos are offensive and reflect a mindset that is very out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakbear View Post
    you took a lot of words to basically say he is a jerk .. his photos are offensive and reflect a mindset that is very out of date.
    I always enjoyed the Cal BB info, but accepted that I had to wade through "his schtick" to get it. It was kind of like reading a newspaper (and that dates me) where you see all the news and sports info but your mind blocks out the advertisements (unless you have a need there). The one thing that I found most offensive though, having a daughter and three granddaughters is that I felt in his "cool guy created aura" he was always mildly p**ping his daughter. Again, just tried to move by it. But I have never seen that posted here to date about shocky. I do miss the info though.

Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    I always enjoyed the Cal BB info, but accepted that I had to wade through "his schtick" to get it. It was kind of like reading a newspaper (and that dates me) where you see all the news and sports info but your mind blocks out the advertisements (unless you have a need there). The one thing that I found most offensive though, having a daughter and three granddaughters is that I felt in his "cool guy created aura" he was always mildly p**ping his daughter. Again, just tried to move by it. But I have never seen that posted here to date about shocky. I do miss the info though.
    Unfortunately the info was a small portion of his posting. Not sad to see his thread go; sad to see Bill fail to grow.

The monsta' threads didn't change much over the years, but two things did:

1) new ownership of the site (which even allowed wrongly banished posters to return)

2) he went all "fire and fury" on Williams

Take your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Here is the problem with all of the above (and it will be a pretty profound moment) - your attraction IS NOT biologically determined. How do we know that? Because what is upheld as the male defined notion of sexual beauty varies DRAMATICALLY between time and place. Just 2 examples....remember that in 19th century China foot binding, which essentially deformed women's feet, was seen as creating ridiculously appealing sexual object. And in Rapheal's time (16th century italy) the standard of beauty was of a body type that I am SURE Shocky would call fat (while yoga like women would be considered freaks).

Now that isn't necessarily a "problem". What makes it is if the vision of highly attractive beauty is oppressive. Ours isn't as bad as some (see footbinding or piercing or genital mutilation) but it isn't good because least we forget - nearly all of Shocksters beauty shots are professional photos with lots and lots of air brushing.
    I understand about cultural differences and cultural determinism. But (watch out for the double negative) I do NOT think that the need for sex, and therefore the power of it to push us around and make us deal with it, is NOT biological; and, commensurately, I also think, to a certain extent, that the widespread (if not universal) tendency for men to "need" to oppress women (which plays out in the examples you give as well as in the general objectification of women in our culture, that, essentially, seeks to remove from them the power of their sexuality over men - by putting it into a little picture that can be held in one's hand) is part of the same biological nexus which plays out in the different cultures in all the weird and often horrible, forms which you reference.

One of the main aspects of Shocky's manifestation of this push-pull is his particular expression of the Madonna/ Whore dichotomy (which I have always personally found very weird) that he expresses in his reverence (being an avowed "mama's boy") for mothers (whom the local recruits should seek to please by playing where their mothers can attend) while clearly and expressly seeking to hold up, as a goal of success (instead of anything having to do with love) the objectified vision of beauty he portrays (with the additional hidden, implied message that, like Soylent Green, the people in the objectified beauty, not existing other than in the objectification, will simply disappear after a certain age, or become sexless mothers).

I don't mean by that analysis to attack Shocky. In fact, from I.M. communications with him, I am convinced that he understands the conflicts and contradictions with a degree of sensitivity that, frankly, I didn't expect.

But what I mean to say is that there ARE biological, G_d given contradictions in the relations between (or among, as the case may be) the genders with which we all have to deal, and which we all have the moral compunction to somehow resolve and/or make right; and I certainly know that, within wider bounds than are usually considered part of the dialog, I am NOT one to judge how individual persons resolve those issues for themselves.
    Last edited by mikecohen; 08-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.

This is very entertaining. I feel like I'm reading two French film critics deconstructing Jerry Lewis' "The Nutty Professor."

It's very possible that I'm missing something here but I've never seen censorship solve any problem...just my opinion and observation as simplistic as I am...

The Nutty Professor is a great reference. The problem isn't necessarily sexism or anything along those lines. Its narcissism plain and simple. He wants (ed) the attention here and wanted to be seen as "the man" ... as I said in another post, away from the board he wasn't half bad.... (I will forgo the small man joke at this time)..

Quote Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
    The Nutty Professor is a great reference. The problem isn't necessarily sexism or anything along those lines. Its narcissism plain and simple. He wants (ed) the attention here and wanted to be seen as "the man" ... as I said in another post, away from the board he wasn't half bad.... (I will forgo the small man joke at this time)..
    Just to make manifest what, undoubtedly, a lot of readers already know: The relevance of the flowering of French critical appreciation of "The (original) Nutty Professor" was the seeing of artistic merit in a form that was theretofore dismissed and derided, essentially as Hollywood trash; and that is certainly the character and quality of my defenses of Shocky against the artistic Philistines who criticize Shocky on this Board - "and", as Arnold Schoenberg said of the comment that his string quartet writing owed something to Mozart, "I am proud of it."

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    Just to make manifest what, undoubtedly, a lot of readers already know: The relevance of the flowering of French critical appreciation of "The (original) Nutty Professor" was the seeing of artistic merit in a form that was theretofore dismissed and derided, essentially as Hollywood trash; and that is certainly the character and quality of my defenses of Shocky against the artistic Philistines who criticize Shocky on this Board - "and", as Arnold Schoenberg said of the comment that his string quartet writing owed something to Mozart, "I am proud of it."
    Obviously, bonehead English fall 1959 did me no good.

Obviously, bonehead English fall 1959 did me no good.
    An interesting comment. But I'm not sure I get it. I'm assuming that you're referring to the writing lessons in those classes which follow the precepts of Strunk and White, by which standards the paragraph to which you respond is anathema - and I am proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    An interesting comment. But I'm not sure I get it. I'm assuming that you're referring to the writing lessons in those classes which follow the precepts of Strunk and White, by which standards the paragraph to which you respond is anathema - and I am proud of it.
    Darn, and the Monster Thread post Shocky was going so well.

I was just about to post along these lines. Personally, I didn't understand 40% of what Shocky said, thought 40% was juvenile, egotistical, silly and/or sometimes mean, but 20% of what he posted was actual inside information or insights that no one else on this board had (or was willing to share).

Someone else in this thread (Yogi?) posted that they just want information without the Shocky Shtick. But that hasn't been an option - that information wasn't anywhere else, not even the insider board. Hopefully that will change under the new board management. If not, then losing Shocky's posts will make this a less informative place.

In terms of all the social science theorizing and in-depth analysis about the societal effects of Shocky's yoga brunette pictures, etc., - honestly people need to lighten up. Read it - or don't. The site operators can run their business how ever they want, with whatever values, ethics or agendas they see fit. But fundamentally, I come here for information and perspective about Cal football and mens hoops (with some olympic sports thrown in), particularly from those connected to the program who are in the know. Shocky was in that category and losing him as a poster is a negative.
    Last edited by BearGoggles; 08-12-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearGoggles View Post
    Someone else in this thread (Yogi?) posted that they just want information without the Shocky Shtick. But that hasn't been an option - that information wasn't anywhere else, not even the insider board.
    https://bearinsider.com/forums/showt...-vids-and-more.

Your mileage may vary. I can't speak as to what goes on in the subscription world.

If you want to get the info Shocky had, spend a lot of time on Twitter. In particular, follow Josh Gershon as that's who shocky was stealing most of his info from.

Quote Originally Posted by BearGoggles View Post
    I was just about to post along these lines. Personally, I didn't understand 40% of what Shocky said, thought 40% was juvenile, egotistical, silly and/or sometimes mean, but 20% of what he posted was actual inside information or insights that no one else on this board had (or was willing to share).

Someone else in this thread (Yogi?) posted that they just want information without the Shocky Shtick. But that hasn't been an option - that information wasn't anywhere else, not even the insider board. Hopefully that will change under the new board management. If not, then losing Shocky's posts will make this a less informative place.

In terms of all the social science theorizing and in-depth analysis about the societal effects of Shocky's yoga brunette pictures, etc., - honestly people need to lighten up. Read it - or don't. The site operators can run their business how ever they want, with whatever values, ethics or agendas they see fit. But fundamentally, I come here for information and perspective about Cal football and mens hoops (with some olympic sports thrown in), particularly from those connected to the program who are in the know. Shocky was in that category and losing him as a poster is a negative.
    Tend to agree. Moderator is allowing him to turn this messageboard into his blog. Some value but mostly his random musings which at times useful but usually aimless chest pounding with curvy brunettes.