Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio 2016 Olympics - *SWIMMING*

Rio 2016 Olympics - *SWIMMING*

------

Starting a new topic as the "Preview" one was getting a mite too bloated (entirely my fault! )

Feel welcome to post any of your thoughts, reactions, predictions, commentary or even live updates here as the races are contested throughout the week - Sat, 6 Aug to Sat 13 Aug.

I'll try to refrain from cluttering up this thread with excessive posts on results, social media images & article links lol...no doubt NBC and the press will be relentlessly bombarding us with all of that for the next fortnight or so anyway!

Schedule, heat sheets & results can be found here:

NBC will be broadcasting all the pool swimming finals LIVE at 9 pm ET. The gymnastics or beach volleyball will start an hour before then, and after the swimming portion has concluded. Unfortunately, my understanding is that the West Coast will be getting the tape-delay version of the swimming events @ 9 pm PT??

However, both the morning heats (12 noon ET) and evening finals (9 pm ET) should be available LIVE via streaming here:

SwimSwam's generally a useful resource in terms of their recaps & analyses...oh, the colourful reader comments on that site are always rather entertaining too...

Go USA!!!

------

Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 08-05-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Updated links

------

* Day 1 Prelims *

Schedule & Start Lists: https://www.rio2016.com/en/swimming-...-results/day-6

Live Recap: https://swimswam.com/2016-rio-olympi...ms-live-recap/

------

s to cheer on (hope I'm not missing anyone here!):

W 100 fly - Heat 4 (Dana & Farida), Heat 5 (Noemie) - also root for Kelsi Worrell if you're on Team USA, and Penny in Heat 6 if you're on Team tedbear!!
    Heat 4 scheduled to start @ 12:37 pm ET

M 100 breast - Heat 5 (Damir) @ 2:16 pm ET

W 4x100 free relay - Heat 2 (USA - Dana not in this cos of her 100 fly swim). Prob. a blowout by OZ since C1 & C2 are swimming the prelims! 2:32 pm ET

------
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 08-06-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: fixed live recap link

Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctosCalifornicus View Post
    ------

* Day 1 Prelims *

Schedule & Start Lists: https://www.rio2016.com/en/swimming-...-results/day-6

Live Recap: https://swimswam.com/2016-rio-olympi...elims-preview/

------

s to cheer on (hope I'm not missing anyone here!):

W 100 fly - Heat 4 (Dana & Farida), Heat 5 (Noemie) - also root for Kelsi Worrell if you're on Team USA, and Penny in Heat 6 if you're on Team tedbear!!
    Heat 4 scheduled to start @ 12:37 pm ET

M 100 breast - Heat 5 (Damir) @ 2:16 pm ET

W 4x100 free relay - Heat 2 (USA - Dana not in this cos of her 100 fly swim). Prob. a blowout by OZ since C1 & C2 are swimming the prelims! 2:32 pm ET

------
    So much fun watching Noemie, Farida, Dana, and Penny in the 100 Fly. Only Noemie doesn't make the Semis. Penny looks really great with a new Junior World Record, but Sjostrom looks pretty unbeatable. That story of Mardini, the Syrian refugee, is pretty amazing too.
    Last edited by tedbear; 08-06-2016 at 09:00 AM.

------

* Day 1 Prelims - RESULTS*

------

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctosCalifornicus View Post
    ------

* Day 1 Prelims - RESULTS*

------
    Who swam 4x100 for USA.

Coveted 2018 recruit Taylor Ruck swam a leg on a record breaking Canadian relay. Knew she didn't qualify individually at the Canadian Trials, so pleasantly surprised they still brought her among for relays. Scottsdale Aquatics (Messy/Amy/Hoffer/Ruck) has been very productive recruiting grounds for the Bears.
    Last edited by BearDevil; 08-06-2016 at 12:12 PM.

------

http://www.calbears.com/sports/2016/...-schedule.aspx

------

Keep in mind that there will be some inevitable inaccuracies attached to a schedule which assumes that all our swimmers will qualify for finals, much as we may wish for that to come true!

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Who swam 4x100 for USA.
    2 furdettes + 2 dawgs @ Prelims: Amanda Weir (53.60), Lia Neal (53.63), Allison Schmitt (53.72), Katie Ledecky (52.64)

My guess is we'll see Simone Manuel, Amanda Weir, Katie Ledecky & Abbey in tonight's Finals.

The gold's for the Aussies to lose as they SHOULD on paper dominate this event...but we shouldn't underestimate the very dangerous threat the Canadians will present with Penny added to their lineup, so can't take SIlver for granted! NED won't be a pushover either when they bring in their top gun Ranomi, with Femke capable of a much quiker time than this morning's...

------

* Day 1 FINALS *

Live Recap: https://swimswam.com/2016-rio-olympi...ls-live-recap/

------

Interesting strategy by US coaches (not one that I have an issue with hehe, as had originally reckoned Dana was out due to her 100 fly semi, and that Weir was in by virtue of her relay prelims swim)...

2 furdettes + 2 s in the W 4x100 free relay lineup => Simone, Abbey, Dana, Ledecky
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 08-06-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: event schedule

I hope that you're correct about the make-up of the 4 x 100m free relay. I was wondering where the top two (Abbey & Simone) finishers from the Olympic trials were in today's heats. GO BEARS! Go USA!

I'm not going to be a spoiler here, but the Campbell sisters better not look in the rear view mirror in the 100 Free, because Penny is coming hard and fast!

https://swimswam.com/canadians-break...lympic-bronze/
    Last edited by tedbear; 08-06-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Brilliant American record of 3:31.89 (former AR = 3:32.31 from Barcelona 2013 where Missy & Natalie were involved) for our W 4x100 free relay earning them Olympic Silver honours - the race wasn't the runaway Oz victory that I had originally feared, but they did get the WR as expected with their 3:30.65 win.

Splits:
    Simone - 53.36
    Abbey - 52.56
    Dana - 53.18 (solid after contesting the 100 fly semis earlier)
    Katie - 52.79

Noteworthy splits from the other teams:
    Cate (AUS) - 51.97
    Bronte (AUS) - 52.15
    Ranomi (NED) - 52.20
    Sarah (SWE) - 52.47
    Penny (CAN) - 52.72

------

* Day 1 FINALS - RESULTS*

Farida also did very well making it as far as the semis of the W 100 fly tonight. Her 57.83 PB from prelims is actually a new Egyptian & African record, and her first time under 58 sec, her previous best having been a 58.22 from Kazan 2015! Definitely thriving under Teri's tutelage and the Cal W Swim Team environment

------
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 08-07-2016 at 07:08 AM. Reason: SWM's *corrected* results

True Blue Golden Bear
    Wow, no Kesi Worrell in the top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Wow, no Kesi Worrell in the top 8.
    Kelsi's 56.97 prelims time would have qualified her in the 3rd seeded slot for finals if she had done that in semis!

Unfortunately she took much too long of a glide coming into the final wall in her semis, the resultant 57.54 falling short of making finals by a mere 0.03 sec...

PB's a 56.48 from trials too, only Sarah has gone faster than that time in Rio thus far...