Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Season: Men's swimming

True Blue Golden Bear

2016-2017 Season: Men's swimming

Sorry UAC thought I'll get it started after I found this article on Ryan Young, from BerkeleyHaas newsletter

http://newsroom.haas.berkeley.edu/ar...%E2%80%99t-set

Actually massively appreciate your help & initiative there, OBear - thx for that great article too

Been sort of swamped at me end so a mite slooooow in catching up with new developments and sharing them over here...

Anyhoo, brilliant to see Murph back (Pebs too) and now a bit of a celebrity after all his Rio achievements - reckon Murphy would have been even more talked about earlier on if he hadn't just happened to share his freshman year with a certain superstar on the women's side

The team will be bolstered by a killer froski group that includes a studly transfer in Josa (see SwimSwam's rating below, written by a Furdie swim alumnus), which was much discussed on the recruits thread here:

Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctosCalifornicus View Post

Ranking the 2016 Men’s NCAA Recruiting Classes: #1-4

Matthew Josa recently announced he's joining a loaded class in Berkeley this fall

#1: California Golden Bears

Top-tier additions:  Matthew Josa (transfer – Queens), #2 Michael Jensen, #5 Jack Xie, #10 Andrea Vergani, #11 Ethan Young, #17 Albert Gwo, Andy Song An, Pawel Sendyk, ‘Aukai Lileikis, Karl Arvidsson, Shane Forker

Holy moly, this group. Even before Matthew Josa announced he was transferring to Cal last week, the Bears far and away had the top class in the country. The class by the numbers:

• 5 – the number of swimmers who are 20.0/44.0 or faster in both the 50 and 100 freestyle (not including Pawel Sendyk, who’s been 23.1/50.2 in long course meters)
    ◦ Matthew Josa – 19.9/42.7
    ◦ Michael Jensen – 19.8/42.7
    ◦ ‘Aukai Lileikis – 19.9/43.6
    ◦ Albert Gwo – 19.9/44.0
    ◦ Andrea Vergani – 20.0/43.9

• 5 – the number of swimmers who are under 48 seconds in the 100 back or 100 fly
    ◦ Josa – 44.9/1:43.0 flyer
    ◦ Jensen – 47.3 100 fly
    ◦ Jack Xie – 46.7/1:45.8 flyer
    ◦ Ethan Young – 21.6/46.7/1:43.0 backstroker
    ◦ Andy Song An – 47.6/1:45.8 backstroker

• 2 – breaststrokers at 55.0/2:00.0 or better (Xie at 54.9/1:59.4, Karl Arvidsson at 55.0/1:59.9)
    • 3 – 200 freestylers under 1:35 (Jensen at 1:33.9, Lileikis at 1:34.8, Josa at 1:34.2)

There’s at least another half-dozen other mind-blowing facts, but this gives you an idea. This class was great before adding Josa, and now, with two years of a guy who has already broken 45 seconds in the 100 fly and 1:42 in the 200 IM, it’s all-time great. There’s eleven names here, and even the “weaker” ones would be among the best in just about every other class; Arvidsson is a 55.0/1:59.9 breaststroker, and Shane Forker is a 4:24.5/9:11.2/15:21 freestyler.

Simply put, these guys really help even out the clear edge that the Texas Longhorns have had the past two seasons. It may not happen next year (Texas is returning nearly every critical piece), but the Bears are in line to bring the title back to Berkeley soon enough.

https://swimswam.com/ranking-2016-me...g-classes-1-4/

Just noticed that freshman Andrea Vergani is apparently still in picturesque Moneglia (Genoa province, NW Italy), at least according to a post of his today...

Just noticed that freshman Andrea Vergani is apparently still in picturesque Moneglia (Genoa province, NW Italy), at least according to a post of his today...
    He's also not listed in the UC Berkeley directory; is he coming in the Spring semester, or not at all?

Since the 2016-2017 schedule hasn't been posted, all of the below is speculation for discussion ....

A post-Olympic season is always filled with excitement and questions. It's an opportunity to refocus on short course, but also an opportunity to jump onto the U.S. National Team in long course due to post-Olympic retirements by veterans. How will that play out for our men's team?

I think the men's team will go all out to try to win the NCAA team title. It's Murphy's last year, and he's carried the team for the past three. With Josa on board, we now have another top sprint stroker who could co-star on four relays and A final in three individual events. Everyone else will need to step up and score in at least 1-2 events (especially distance, where you can go all out in a single swim, rather than try to guess on a prelim time that'll make it through.) If the depth comes through along with the expected star power, we can do it. Seliskar scored in 3 A finals last year. Gutierrez, Hoppe, and Lynch were key on relays and also scored last year; can they break through to A finals this year? Will former Jr. and Sr. National Teamers (Burns, Green, Thomas) score this year; they are so talented and I know they want to do well. So many more that could be mentioned ....

Those of you that go to dual meets at Spieker, please report back for the benefit of us that live out of town --- thanks!

For Prenot and Pebley that graduated last year, will they stay at Cal to train for the next Olympics? It looks like they still need to finish their degrees over the next year, but after that? I can still see Prenot being motivated to train/mentor Seliskar and the younger IMers/breaststrokers, and Pebley with the younger backstrokers, but it's a rare swimmer like Adrian or Coughlin that stays at Cal their entire career. Shields had mentioned before (in an interview on InsideSwim) that he didn't really have a set training group throughout the year. You'd think with Lynch and Gutierrez that the fly group would be there, but maybe not. With Josa coming alongside, that might change too for Shields.

Finally, for Murphy, the Olympics were a dream meet for him, and should hopefully set him up nicely for a pro career after NCAAs. How will he approach this season? Will he focus on graduating from Haas in the spring and prioritize the collegiate season? Will he continue to build his international credentials by participating in the World Short Course championships in Toronto in December in lieu of (or in addition to) whatever mid-season meet the team attends (I think that qualifying the relays to NCAAs is a big goal, so maybe not, but Josh Prenot went to Duel in the Pool last December to build up his international credentials.) Again, Pac-12 championships conflict with the Arena Pro Swim series meet, this year in Indianapolis (also the site of NCAAs in March and World Championship Trials in June), so will he skip them again to go to Indy instead? So many moving parts ....

Great post, beaverbear! Thanks for your informed & detailed analysis, raising all the important questions and providing much food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbear View Post
    For Prenot and Pebley that graduated last year, will they stay at Cal to train for the next Olympics? It looks like they still need to finish their degrees over the next year, but after that?

Pebs is def on campus & taking classes (hopefully the right ones - see below lol) ... hope he'll stay with Dave & the pro group to train all the way through to Tokyo, and beyond!

Jacob Pebley: "Fifth year at Cal and still going to the wrong classroom on the first day...didn't notice until the professor said Gender Women's Studies..."

Those of you that go to dual meets at Spieker, please report back for the benefit of us that live out of town --- thanks!

Ditto. Really appreciate all the firsthand reports in the past from the helpful contributors who are still in the area, keep them coming, cheers! Even or especially the colour commentary + on deck observations of team dynamics etc, which are often more interesting than just eyeing sterile stats from a distance or reading up the sugar-coated official recaps, particularly when the dual isn't televised or streamed!

I think the men's team will go all out to try to win the NCAA team title. It's Murphy's last year, and he's carried the team for the past three. With Josa on board, we now have another top sprint stroker who could co-star on four relays and A final in three individual events. Everyone else will need to step up and score in at least 1-2 events (especially distance, where you can go all out in a single swim, rather than try to guess on a prelim time that'll make it through.) If the depth comes through along with the expected star power, we can do it.

Love your enthusiasm that is grounded on a knowledgeable foundation! I really hope so too, and I think our Men's team do have a chance of derailing the Texas Juggernaut if everything comes together this season and everyone steps up. Or at the least, keeping it close and keeping UT honest all the way thru to the very end. Had originally been resigned to expecting another couple of seasons before we could realistically reclaim the crown from the Horns - but feeling a mite more optimistic for the shorter term after digesting your sound reasons for the Bears having a decent shot as soon as this year...thank you very much for rekindling my hopes m8!

So glad to see Ryan back on campus and school. He is such a polite and endearing young man so it will be interesting to see how he handles his notoriety with students and swim fans his final year at Cal. Will there be lines of youngsters seeking his autograph at the home meets ala what Missy went through? Maybe not so much as he is somewhat reserved and most seemingly a person who doesn't seek the limelight.

He always made comments on how he appreciated the support from his family, and I loved seeing his parents response on television right after Ryan won his races.

And, yes, Beaver, I, and hopefully other Cal fans like me who live close to the Cal campus, will keep you posted starting this Fall with swim meets at Spieker.

BTW, the new pool is looking pretty nice to me. Especially on the Bancroft side of the facility. I am terrible with cameras. I am sure others here can submit the latest pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by longseeker View Post
    BTW, the new pool is looking pretty nice to me. Especially on the Bancroft side of the facility. I am terrible with cameras. I am sure others here can submit the latest pictures.

Cal Men's Swimming & Diving: There's water in that pool! Big day at our new aquatics center. #GoBears

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJlclCMDUMc/

Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 08-26-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: more pool photos

https://cdn.swimswam.com/wp-content/...-TB3_0792-.jpg

Phelps will be an asst coach at ASU, so kinda weird that he would proclaim his love for Michigan now. Better UM (sweet colors) than 'SC or ASU, but still...

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    https://cdn.swimswam.com/wp-content/...-TB3_0792-.jpg

Phelps will be an asst coach at ASU, so kinda weird that he would proclaim his love for Michigan now. Better UM (sweet colors) than 'SC or ASU, but still...
    Did he ever enroll at UM or did he just audit some classes?

Just audited classes at UM. Did bust out his Speedo for the Curtain of Distraction at an ASU hoops game last season.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Just audited classes at UM. Did bust out his Speedo for the Curtain of Distraction at an ASU hoops game last season.
    Then he ain't an alum. Damnit, at least get admitted!

Initial batch of Froski postings from Berkeley - ah, brings back fond memories of the diversity and all

-----

Karl Arvidsson: History. #sathergate #thecampanile #gobears #thisplaceiscool #berkeleypov

-----

Ethan Young: Welcome to California

-----

Initial batch of Froski postings from Berkeley - ah, brings back fond memories of the diversity and all

-----

Karl Arvidsson: History. #sathergate #thecampanile #gobears #thisplaceiscool #berkeleypov

-----

Ethan Young: Welcome to California

-----
    Quite the statement Ethan Young is making.

Karl's parents met at Cal, so he's already spent a big chunk of his life on campus.