Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Cal lucked out big time on Cuonzo. Tennessee and Marquette both screwed up. Had UT been more patient, Cuonzo could have locked down Nashville and been very competitive in Memphis, Atlanta, and Charlotte. SAR helped a lot with Jaylen to Cal, but Cuonzo had already been recruiting him while at UT.

Cuonzo already has recruiting ties to St Louis, Chicago, and Indy and would have been plug and play at Marquette. Far better coach now than Wojo with a significantly higher upside.

Illinois and Missouri would be foolish not to make serious runs at Cuonzo now. Thankfully for us, both have the same problem as UT: rural locations and unable to recruit nationally and internationally.

MW pulled a coup in replacing Sonny ahead of schedule and upgrading with Wilcox. Cuonzo needs to be more competitive recruiting in SoCal and his offensive is improving, but he has a very high ceiling. Thankfully Painter is entrenched at Purdue. Don't f this up, MW.
    Cal is considered by many simply as a stop along the way. Not sure how Cuonzo feels but I do expect some teams to reach out to at least get a temperature check on Cuonzo and Cal. His style will be better received in the Big 10. I appreciate the culture he is trying to bring and the emphasis on defense, rebounding and toughness. But many want to see more offense and unless he wins big will likely never fully embrace him or his style. I think what he is doing is more likely to produce more tournament caliber teams in terms of wins, but be less pleasing to the eyes. With the Warriors playing how they play folks are getting spoiled looking for offense. Just like in football whatever wins is what I want. If that means tough defense, hard nose rebounding and grinding out wins 66-56 then so be it.

More winning may improve the pool of players that find Cal attractive and help with the offense. Right now Cal is winning with defense, rebounding and effort primarily. But they are winning. I did not expect 18-6 at this point in this season. Still work to do, but I like culture he is developing.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    Cal is considered by many simply as a stop along the way. Not sure how Cuonzo feels but I do expect some teams to reach out to at least get a temperature check on Cuonzo and Cal. His style will be better received in the Big 10. I appreciate the culture he is trying to bring and the emphasis on defense, rebounding and toughness. But many want to see more offense and unless he wins big will likely never fully embrace him or his style. I think what he is doing is more likely to produce more tournament caliber teams in terms of wins, but be less pleasing to the eyes. With the Warriors playing how they play folks are getting spoiled looking for offense. Just like in football whatever wins is what I want. If that means tough defense, hard nose rebounding and grinding out wins 66-56 then so be it.

More winning may improve the pool of players that find Cal attractive and help with the offense. Right now Cal is winning with defense, rebounding and effort primarily. But they are winning. I did not expect 18-6 at this point in this season. Still work to do, but I like culture he is developing.
    Although I have been a Cuonzo enthusiast throughout, I have questioned his "offense will automatically follow defense" mantra - while, at the same time, allowing for what we see being simply that time is nature's way of preventing everything happening at once, i.e., that it takes time to institute a system and establish a program. Last night showed me (and I could have seen it in last year's Oregon game at Haas) both that the mantra is correct and that my guess was right about it taking time to develop a basketball offense, which looks to me like it is taking hold just at the right time (although greed would have been satisfied had it taken hold right away). Another really good thing, it seems to me, is that, for a guy who prides himself as, and goes as, guru of defense, to bring in another coach to participate in and add to the defense (O'Toole) shows all manner of really good things going forward. Yea, Cuonzo!

I want Cal to win. And Coach Martin is winning.

So, I LOVE IT!

Go Coach Martin! Go Bears!

I work for a company with its HQ in Chicago and spend a lot of time in the midwest. I also spend a lot of time talking to my friends and colleagues out there about basketball (and in particular Cal) - and this topic has come up recently. During these discussions, a point has come up repeatedly about CM at Cal, that was a bit surprising to me. That is, the perception that California (the state, not necessarily the University) is not an attractive destination to an African American coach (particularly from the midwest), and that they inherently are looking for an opportunity to return. Although I personally don't buy it, I have heard it many times - so must admit that a number of people believe it.

I'm curious if other BIers have had the same experience - or if it is just the screwballs I deal with.

Last edited by BeachedBear; 02-09-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post

MW pulled a coup in replacing Sonny ahead of schedule and upgrading with Wilcox.
    Ahead of schedule? Only if you ignore the extension he gave Dykes that cost the AD several million. And, if he eff's it up with Cuonzo, MW should be sent packing.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachedBear View Post
    I work for a company with its HQ in Chicago and spend a lot of time in the midwest. I also spend a lot of time talking to my friends and colleagues out there about basketball (and in particular Cal) - and this topic has come up recently. During these discussions, a point has come up repeatedly about CM at Cal, that was a bit surprising to me. That is, the perception that California (the state, not necessarily the University) is not an attractive destination to an African American coach (particularly from the midwest), and that they inherently are looking for an opportunity to return. Although I personally don't buy it, I have heard it many times - so must admit that a number of people believe it.

I'm curious if other BIers have had the same experience - or if it is just the screwballs I deal with.

Given all the positives of all sorts that Cuonzo's tenure has brought us, the program (and the school) got a real gift in Cuonzo. Given what Cuonzo has been through in his life, all the way up to his experience at Tennessee, and given what he said about what he just could feel about this place (which we all feel about this place) as soon as he walked out of the airplane, being here is a real gift to Cuonzo, in a very profound way. WHERE IS THERE ANY PROBLEM?

The problem is empty seats at games. There may be some head coach
    openings in the Big 10 soon. University of Illinois, which hasn't won any championships lately, sells out a huge arena with most of the fans wearing orange. If Cal loses CM to a place wear basketball is enthusiastically supported, don't blame MW, blame the fans who don't bother to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    Cal is considered by many simply as a stop along the way.
    Since Cal has not lost a head basketball coach to another school ever, what do you base you statement on?

Like everyone here, I'm delighted with the relative success we've had this season, after a not so impressive start. However despite our better than expected performance against ASU, which we we favored to beat, a note of caution is required, as we have only one good win (USC) and are about to meet a series of teams most of which are favored to beat us. The notion that Martin's teams show greater relative improvement than other teams over the course of a season is interesting and I hope we see that continue this year. If true, we may hope to win against one of the league leaders. Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    Although I have been a Cuonzo enthusiast throughout, I have questioned his "offense will automatically follow defense" mantra - while, at the same time, allowing for what we see being simply that time is nature's way of preventing everything happening at once, i.e., that it takes time to institute a system and establish a program. Last night showed me (and I could have seen it in last year's Oregon game at Haas) both that the mantra is correct and that my guess was right about it taking time to develop a basketball offense, which looks to me like it is taking hold just at the right time (although greed would have been satisfied had it taken hold right away). Another really good thing, it seems to me, is that, for a guy who prides himself as, and goes as, guru of defense, to bring in another coach to participate in and add to the defense (O'Toole) shows all manner of really good things going forward. Yea, Cuonzo!

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    The team suffered early season injuries to Rabb and Bird, Rooks was out, and Mullins dealt with the death of a family member. That's a lot. Team has continued to improve after surviving those setbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    Since Cal has not lost a head basketball coach to another school ever, what do you base you statement on?
    Thanks barabbas. That was what I was thinking as well. I know for sure we haven't lost a coach in 40 years and I was pretty sure at least 60. Not saying it can't happen but can a stepping stone be a stepping stone if it has never been stepped on?

Still have no bad losses

Quote Originally Posted by calgldnbear View Post
    Still have no bad losses
    The SDSU loss is not pretty in hindsight. RPI falls to #109 as of today.

Two years in a row SDSU caught us at a bad time. This year it was Rabb's first game back--a completely different player then--and Bird was out as well. I know that doesn't mean anything to the committee but I hope they can overlook that one game.

Quote Originally Posted by egbear82 View Post
    Two years in a row SDSU caught us at a bad time. This year it was Rabb's first game back--a completely different player then--and Bird was out as well. I know that doesn't mean anything to the committee but I hope they can overlook that one game.
    This isn't necessarily true. The committee does take injuries and absences in to account.