Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerome Randle...

Basketball Jerome Randle...

becomes the second Cal player to be named MVP of the Australian National Basketball League.
    http://www.theage.com.au/sport/baske...13-gubmxb.html.

The first (of course) was Brian Wethers in 2005.

-AB

What does an Ausie MVP make salary wise? I wonder how it compares to NBA and other leagues around the globe. Like, I know the NBA is way higher than all others, but how much higher, and what leagues are in 2nd, 3rd, 4th place, and by how far of a gap in terms of pay?

Here is the page for Jerome and the 36ers.
    http://www.adelaide36ers.com/player_...jerome-randle/
    By the way, who are the original 36ers?

I have a gg grandfather who lived with his family in a nice home in Bristol England in 1843. His father was one of the head employed guys (forget the title) to the owner (forget his title, too). My gg grandfather was 16 when he snuck into where the cash box was held (his father had access to it, but a locksmith's key was found by a friend. My gg grandfather stole the box and ran away to London. His father was initially accused of stealing the money but it was soon determined that the son was missing and presumed.

My gg grandfather (stupidly, unless maybe he wanted to get caught before he left for good) wrote a letter to his friend saying where he was, on the docks in London, saying that he was going to join one of the sailing ships as crew and sail the world. The letter was intercepted and opened and police were sent to pick him up. They did and he was brought back to Bristol. A trial was held and he was sentenced to 10 years Transportation to Van Diemen's land. I know the U2 song, but had to look it up to see where that was. OMG, Tasmania, Australia!!! So, at 17, he was put on a convict ship and shipped to the other side of the planet. Wow. Harsh!
    Imagine what I know that kids do these days, and they don't hardly get grounded.
    This was a life altering sentence.
    He returned to England after 10 years, immediately got married, and immediately sailed back to Melbourne where he mined for Gold in the Ausie Gold Rush fields north of there. He then returned to England and became and liquor merchant. Having no kids, he abandoned her and moved to Brooklyn, continuing in the same profession. He died in 1903 of cirrhosis of the liver.

So, not quite 1836, but if they were the 43'ers, then I'd be rooting for Team Convict.
    Sorry, that's one of a only a very few Australia connection stories I can think of.
    The second has to do with the discovery of oil in Australia by Lewis Weeks, which plays in another branch of the family's history.
    The third is my college buddy who married a girl from Sydney, and now speaks with an Ausie accent, living there for the past 25 years.

But enough about me. So, what's the real 36ers story?

Here are Jerome's stats per that link above:
    28 games
    31 mins per
    21 PPG
    51.4% 2FG
    36.1% 3FG (39 of 108)
    90.1% FT
    5.32 Assists
    3.6 TO's
    2.14 fouls
    2.79 rebs

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    So, what's the real 36ers story?
    It's a reference to Adelaide’s settlement in 1836.

-AB

P.S. It's Aussie (pronounced Ozzie).
    Last edited by Aussie Bear; 02-13-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Fantastic article. Thanks for posting it

Indeed, great article. Didn't realize how bad it was for Jerome growing up. Aussie Bear, (or anyone else) do you have any idea how much $ Jerome is making? With all that he's been through in life he deserves financial security.

I ran into Ayinde Ubaka a couple years ago. Had a great convo with him. He LOVED playing in Australia. He seriously considered staying there after his playing days were over. Seems like a great place to play professionally as opposed to all those sketchy European and Chinese leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfans View Post
    Excellent article. My only problem with it is that it states that one of his mentors was from Gary, [B]Illinois. Having lived in Gary, Indiana for about seven years, I am offended by this error of placing Gary in Illinois.

Go Bears!

Place it Trump Tower.
    That oughta fix things, one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Calfan View Post
    I ran into Ayinde Ubaka a couple years ago. Had a great convo with him. He LOVED playing in Australia. He seriously considered staying there after his playing days were over. Seems like a great place to play professionally as opposed to all those sketchy European and Chinese leagues.
    Many do stay. The fathers of Ben Simmons (went #1 to the Sixers) and Dante Exum (went #5 to the Jazz) both played and stayed in Australia (in Melbourne, my home town to be precise).

I just read that article. It is great and it's good to see Jerome doing well. I had never heard the story of his agent declining two different teams who wanted to draft him in the second round. Man, things could have been way different if he had been drafted by the Rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfans View Post

Randle signed with a French club during the off season and just happened to play against Justin Cobbs in his first game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SFR_Sport...42983109824512

Nice find.