Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Off topic:Why dont the tech companies move to more friendly states?

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    Oh, I agree. I bought a house in Oakland last year and am basically banking on this gentrification improving things by the time my child is of school age.

But I'm also aware that it will be primarily higher-income families who will reap the benefits, as low-income folks get priced out. The problems just get moved somewhere else.

Hmm k wow

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    Oakland has fairly strong rent control, but as rent prices skyrocket that's not necessarily a protection for low-income folks. It basically locks you in to your current residence. If there is need to move for any reason (say you have kids and need more space), then you're not finding it in Oakland. So you leave and your old place is filled by someone who can pay higher rent. Of course not everyone is pushed out at once, but the gradual trend is in that direction.
    The other thing that happens of course is that developers speculate on both residential and commercial properties, converting both to higher paying tenants

After seeing these, I'm thinking about raising my rent

**** is getting really ugly

Why does everyone in the bay area feel entitled to be able to live affordably in the bay area?

Why do people already living here (myself included) feel entitled to restrict the amount of new housing built around job centers?

Because we all look out for our own interests.

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Why does everyone in the bay area feel entitled to be able to live affordably in the bay area?
    Wow. well alrighty then

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    Why do people already living here (myself included) feel entitled to restrict the amount of new housing built around job centers?Because we all look out for our own interests.
    Let's not pretend that the subprime disaster didn't happen. It's okay to be cautious about over saturating markets.
    Last edited by tommie317; 04-04-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommie317 View Post
    Let's not pretend that the subprime disaster didn't happen. It's okay to be cautious about over saturating markets.
    Huh? Building housing in urban, in demand areas that have traditionally suppressed new construction is not the same thing.

The Bay Area isn't in danger of over saturating the housing market. We physically cannot build fast enough to get there. Not long term.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-04-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Let's imagine a scenario where we can miraculously, cheaply, and safely double the housing the supply over the course of a decade. Traffic would be suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    Huh? Building housing in urban, in demand areas that have traditionally suppressed new construction is not the same thing. The Bay Area isn't in danger of over saturating the housing market. We physically cannot build fast enough to get there. Not long term.
    Maybe saturation is not the right word but back in 2011 when my house was 40% under water, 1 in 3 neighbors were short selling or foreclosing, while rent was still on the low side,no one was clamoring to build our way out of it. Real estate is cyclical, it will eventually go the other way and over correct. Anyways, there is a huge headwind that will impact the Bay Area soon, changes to the H1B program will reduce job growth rate and renters in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by tommie317 View Post
    Maybe saturation is not the right word but back in 2011 when my house was 40% under water, 1 in 3 neighbors were short selling or foreclosing, while rent was still on the low side,no one was clamoring to build our way out of it. Real estate is cyclical, it will eventually go the other way and over correct. Anyways, there is a huge headwind that will impact the Bay Area soon, changes to the H1B program will reduce job growth rate and renters in the market.
    Which didn't happen because there were too many houses. The fact that many houses ended up on the market was simply a symptom.

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Let's imagine a scenario where we can miraculously, cheaply, and safely double the housing the supply over the course of a decade. Traffic would be suicidal.
    Why? No one is suggesting this.