Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Softball Top 25 ranking has Cal (12-1) rated #23...(link)

Baseball New Softball Top 25 ranking has Cal (12-1) rated #23...(link)

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1

Ten SEC and seven Pac Nine teams dominate the top 25. The Bears are ranked 7th in our conference. Cal will face its initial SEC opponent, #3 Florida (15-1), in the Judi Garman Classic this weekend in Fullerton. All the games will be telecast on FloSports Softball.com. Cal faces three more Big Ten schools: Northwestern (3-10), Iowa (2-7) & Indiana (6-8). The Bears have already defeated Illinois 2x (8-5), Nebraska (2-10) & Ohio State (7-5).

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softbal...omusa-softball
    ESPN Poll just came out and Florida and Cal are ranked #1 & #18, respectively. The Gators & Bears meet on Saturday in the 2nd game of DH. GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-28-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks for the post S71! I feel we are always rated a little lower than we should be. Florida game will tell us a lot more about are prospects for the season. BTW, about a year ago I looked up the softball rosters of about 30 out-of-state collegiate teams to see how many Californians were on their rosters. As you no doubt know, there is a slew of our state players at Universities throughout the country. Of course it's because we have such a large state population and tons of HS and college athletes. Nevertheless, like a lot of collegiate sports we particularly make schools in Oregon, Washington and Arizona look really good. Drats!

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1

Ten SEC and seven Pac Nine teams dominate the top 25. The Bears are ranked 7th in our conference. Cal will face its initial SEC opponent, #3 Florida (15-1), in the Judi Garman Classic this weekend in Fullerton. All the games will be telecast on FloSports Softball.com. Cal faces three more Big Ten schools: Northwestern (3-10), Iowa (2-7) & Indiana (6-8). The Bears have already defeated Illinois 2x (8-5), Nebraska (2-10) & Ohio State (7-5). GO BEARS!
    This team has the best clutch hitting since the one that won the p12 3 years ago. Not happy about the lack of power though. Also if u look at the ststs we are middle of the pac in all catigories. If we sweep the judy garmin, then we should be tough in the pac. Will still be hard to get higher then 4th imho.

I went through the remainder of the Cal schedule after beginning 12-1 and I speculate that our OOC record will be 24-5 or 25-4. This could be a replay of women's basketball which was 12-0 entering conference competition but only won one-third (6-12) of its games. Cal softball has eight 3 game series per usual in the Pac Nine. The four home series offer some hope in that Stanford, Oregon State, Washington & Arizona visit Berkeley. The four road series, however, look formidable indeed w/ 3 each @ UCLA, @ Oregon, @ Utah & @ ASU. The winnable series appear to be Furd and OSU. I would speculate that the Bears could capture one-third (8) to one-half (12) of their league contests. To get to a .500 record, I forecast that Ninemire & Co sweep the Cardinal & Beavers at home for six victories and steal one game in the other six series...I don't believe that the hitting in the P9 is up to par this season but the pitching should be tough. I'm not sold on Arizona State even though they have been successful to date. I agree that Cal possesses nine solid hitters (five seniors) plus potential in frosh, Bradie Fillmore. The Bear hitters are hard to strikeout but have negligible power. I believe that they need to steal more bases and use their speed more...

IMO, Ninemire is getting out-recruited badly within conference and by the SEC. Part of the problem is lack of facilities so that Cal could host a regional like most of the other quality programs do. The vast majority of the teams that host win their respective regionals. I was hoping that the pitching coach would be able to upgrade our pitching through technique and recruiting but it has not happened...The transfer, 5-0 Zoe Conley, is by far the best pitcher but Bradie Fillmore was the highly regarded recruit that has not pitched an inning, yet. Oh well...Ninemire has missed on quite a few "name" recruits! GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by ccajon View Post
    This team has the best clutch hitting since the one that won the p12 3 years ago. Not happy about the lack of power though. Also if u look at the ststs we are middle of the pac in all catigories. If we sweep the judy garmin, then we should be tough in the pac. Will still be hard to get higher then 4th imho.
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-28-2017 at 01:28 PM.

We haven't played any top competition yet. In this time our lack of power (0 homeruns) and fielding has left me thinking 6th-7th place sounds about right in conference.

With that said, there are reasons our opponents are so error prone. When you don't strike out and posses speed, teams are going to mess up. The top 4 in our lineup have struck out FIVE times combined. Amazing!

I would be ecstatic to see us make a Super Regional this year. Would assume we are a Regional final type of team. I hope to be proven wrong.

[QUOTE=.

IMO, Ninemire is getting out-recruited badly within conference and by the SEC. i[/QUOTE]

Ah, Shroeder here is where I have a slight disagreement with you. That's about Ninemires recruiting. FYI, the 5 Seniors on this team who haven't struck out more than 5 times, comprised a #2 recruiting class for Cal in 2014. The 2015 Class (Cullen. Pettis, Jaz, Pogue); #8, 2016 class (Baily, Mcu, Rood, Shaw) #15, 2017 was ranked #28,BUT with only one player listed. Since then 5 players have signed, including Sparacino, who's ranked in the top #15 player in the country. I would surmise that is now a top 10 class. And finally 2018 is an 18 ranked class. Also did we not get KSF out of Oregon? And, top SEC players have transferred to Cal. But I agree, the SEC is draining Cal of talent. Something like 95 players from Cali are on SEC rosters. (I'll check the SEC softball Media guide for conformation.)

Quote Originally Posted by CalFanatic View Post
    We haven't played any top competition yet. In this time our lack of power (0 homeruns) and fielding has left me thinking 6th-7th place sounds about right in conference.
    At least we don't have the same problem the furds have. They are all pretty much disgusted at the state of their team, and relize it will be next to impossible to win more than a couple of games all year, in the Pac-9. If we lose even one game to them I'll eat my jockstrap with salt n pepper.

Ah, Shroeder here is where I have a slight disagreement with you. That's about Ninemires recruiting. FYI, the 5 Seniors on this team who haven't struck out more than 5 times, comprised a #2 recruiting class for Cal in 2014. The 2015 Class (Cullen. Pettis, Jaz, Pogue); #8, 2016 class (Baily, Mcu, Rood, Shaw) #15, 2017 was ranked #28,BUT with only one player listed. Since then 5 players have signed, including Sparacino, who's ranked in the top #15 player in the country. I would surmise that is now a top 10 class. And finally 2018 is an 18 ranked class. Also did we not get KSF out of Oregon? And, top SEC players have transferred to Cal. But I agree, the SEC is draining Cal of talent. Something like 95 players from Cali are on SEC rosters. (I'll check the SEC softball Media guide for conformation.)
    Where are you seeing the ranking for Sparacino. Just curious. I've seen her play many a times and God she is good. She has Pamanian like hands in the middle IF.

Such a shame Kaleo Eldridge's family member Alo decommited to go to Oklahoma. She was the best power hitter in this 2017 class!

Quote Originally Posted by CalFanatic View Post
    Where are you seeing the ranking for Sparacino. Just curious. I've seen her play many a times and God she is good. She has Pamanian like hands in the middle IF.

Such a shame Kaleo Eldridge's family member Alo decommited to go to Oklahoma. She was the best power hitter in this 2017 class!
    That's my bad CF. I saw on her Cal bio that she was on Maxprep's All American team, and surmised a top 15 ranking as a result. Is she not that good? The world of softball ranking sure seems to be secretive. Most softball sites, say you either have to be a coach, pay $, or have some sort of in to see the individual player rankings. The recruiting class rankings I got from
    Flosoftball. They too want me to pay $ to see their full content. Not gonna happen.
    Last edited by ccajon; 03-01-2017 at 08:14 AM.

At least we don't have the same problem the furds have. They are all pretty much disgusted at the state of their team, and relize it will be next to impossible to win more than a couple of games all year, in the Pac-9. If we lose even one game to them I'll eat my jockstrap with salt n pepper.
    lol ccajon. Good couple of posts.
    I attended both Palm Springs events in the last couple of weeks. I might be on an island here but I much prefer contact, base to base hitting rather than the "power" game some think is missing. The chaos the 6-7 speedsters cause on the base paths doesn't translate on video but it is a legitimate concern for teams this year and will keep us in more games than our runners on/ flyball outs we've seen in many of the previous seasons. Bombs are fun but line drives win more games.

Also, I fully agree about recruiting. Having seen so many future gems at the travel ball level for many years we've had great classes of student/athletes year after year. And there lies the balance. With respect to all kids who move on to play DI ball, This is Cal. Not every stud player is going to thrive or is even looking for a challenging academic environment. Sometimes they just want a cool stadium. So be it.

Really enjoyed the weekends so far. Good kids,parents, fans.
    🐻

That's my bad CF. I saw on her Cal bio that she was on Maxprep's All American team, and surmised a top 15 ranking as a result. Is she not that good? The world of softball ranking sure seems to be secretive. Most softball sites, say you either have to be a coach, pay $, or have some sort of in to see the individual player rankings. The recruiting class rankings I got from
    Flosoftball. They too want me to pay $ to see their full content. Not gonna happen.
    She was good enough to get a full ride to Oregon as a Freshman, good enough to go to Cal, and good enough to be All-American. Not sure where that lands her in terms of a number, but it **should** be very high.

She should start day 1 and bat anywhere from 3-6.
    Last edited by CalFanatic; 03-01-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Good to see Kourtney, Katie and Brady getting a chance to pitch today.

Anyone that is in attendance, today, how does Bradie Fillmore look on the mound? Two fly outs to CF & one strikeout sounds good for her first Cal inning. I have my fingers crossed.

Ok, I'm a little lost on the stats/ tweets. One source has hit while another has walk. Should be clearer. Balls and strike count would help.

In the time I've followed Cal softball (past 30+ years) I'm amazed Ninemire has done as well as she has in recruiting given the abysmal facilities we have. The rise of the SEC ties directly to the investment they've been willing to make in facilities and coaches. In the PAC, only the AZ schools and, maybe, Oregon, have anything like the facilities that most SEC powers have. In addition to the impact of SEC schools on recruiting, UW and UO have also come on to compete for California talent. 30 years ago, we competed mainly with AZ and UCLA for the best in-state players; now we're middle of the pack in our conference and losing ground steadily to the SEC and Big 12. I hope we can patch together enough pitching to compete but they haven't exactly been lights out against the mediocre opposition they've faced to date.
    Access is better than ownership!