Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baldwin likes what he sees at Cal

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Here's a story we did with Baldwin, talking about what he has to sell at Cal, how the new staff is jelling and what his thoughts are on the roster he's inherited at Cal: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2365
    Thanks, MB. I love the shirt Beau's wearing in the photo you chose for the story!

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST2324MODE View Post
    dykes inherited a decent amount of nfl talent, some positions were bad and depth was lacking.

just look at the nfl wr's, nfl running back, nfl tight end, #1 draft pick that was already committed at qb Flounder inherited
    Sonny was explicit when he first started about the position of Safety which he felt was awful. He was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Here's a story we did with Baldwin, talking about what he has to sell at Cal, how the new staff is jelling and what his thoughts are on the roster he's inherited at Cal: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2365
    My heart and my brain are in conflict when I read stories like these. My heart starts racing again, dreaming of the possibilities and believing that this time it will be different. My brain tells me to remember all the times my heart went racing ahead only to be run over by the Mack truck of Cal's realities. I am just going to shut off my brain and believe again and believe that Wilcox is the type of humble, well-adjusted, dedicated leader our team desperately needs right now.

I loved the quotes about Troy Taylor.

I think this is going to work out perfectly. Hopefully, we have enough success where Baldwin can get rewarded and move on to a HC position and then Troy Taylor can step right in (the transition from Baldwin to Taylor should be seamless).

And JT was right - immediate turnaround if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by 71Bear View Post
    Coachspeak... No coach is ever going to be completely honest when assessing the talent with which he has to work.
    i don't know. to me he seemed to imply that defense is bad (simply by saying the cupboard isn't bare, especially on offense). And the offense probably looks good because in comparison to an FCS school, everything at this level looks good. but i'm excited nonetheless. nice article!

Quote Originally Posted by bearsandgiants View Post
    i don't know. to me he seemed to imply that defense is bad (simply by saying the cupboard isn't bare, especially on offense). And the offense probably looks good because in comparison to an FCS school, everything at this level looks good. but i'm excited nonetheless. nice article!
    I got that too...pretty general comments about the roster, but he did zero in on the offense being especially far form bare...which is pretty true. Most cynics refuse to read the article before chiming in haha

Loyal Bear Nasal Mucus Goldenbear's Avatar
    R.I.P. Chris Stevens 9-11-2012 Never Forget
    "Interestingly, the one year in recent years where Baldwin stepped back fairly significantly from play calling was this last season, where new offensive coordinator and former Cal star quarterback Troy Taylor stepped in to take on a significant role in play calling for the Eagles in their successful season after heading up a prolific offense with current Washington quarterback at Folsom High School prior to his arrival in Cheney."
    That is one peripatetic odyssey of a sentence.

I've been known to meander through a long sentence now and then

Nice read, well done. There's something going on with this staff that has me encouraged. It may take some time to build it but I feel good about this group getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    There were also stories about how pleased and surprised Tedford was at Cal's talent back in 2002 when he first got the job.
    The prior year record was 1-10 and Tedford took the same talent and went 7-5 his first year. Coming in and expecting 1-10 talent and then seeing talent that allowed him to 7-5, I'd be pleased and surprised too.

More on subject, nice article and I liked a lot of what I heard. Obviously the proof will be in the pudding.
    Last edited by elpbear; 03-14-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    There were also stories about how pleased and surprised Tedford was at Cal's talent back in 2002 when he first got the job.
    And all things considered, that was a pretty successful season (7-5). It got the fan base re-energized. I know I was after sitting in QQ thru the Holmoe years.

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Mmm kay

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Two thoughts. First - was there any doubt we have plenty of offensive talent on the roster? We are still pretty stacked at receiver and have plenty of talented (if inexperienced) QBs as well as a few good RBs. Second - he's coming from EWU and has been in FCS for a long time.

This is a good example of a coach saying all the right things and there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of great coaches use coach speak. Also to Moraga's point, the is mostly about the situation generally at Cal and the type of staff and environment Wilcox is assembling. The talent piece is a sidebar.
    The returning talent on offense is pretty good. There are plenty of WRs. Some talent at Qb albeit inexperienced. 2 RBs that played a lot and 3 returning OL starters. He is not going to dog the personnel he inherited. That is not a good way to start a relationship with a new team. As a former HC he brings a unique perspective to the OC role. His offense's have been very productive and he has won a NC. Smaller division but this guy knows how to win. He should be able to manage the offensive staff very effectively as a former HC. This should allow Wilcox to spend the majority of his time with the defense.

Baldwin is using this role for his own personal platform to a P5 HC job. No problem. If successful he will have done his job at Cal. I really like this hire. The Spring will be very interesting. The QB competition and how he uses the many WRs on hand.

Great stuff. I am always here for Cal optimism. Plus, I think he is being straightforward. We have offensive talent. I think that Coach Baldwin will have his side of the ball ready to play on Sept. 2nd.
    "Give 'em the axe. Where? Right in neck. There!"
    The California Axe Yell
    The proper response to, "We Want The Axe!"