Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Women’s NCAA Championships (Swimming & Diving)

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctosCalifornicus View Post

Speaking of Amy, she had put down a personal best of 22 flat in the 50 free individual, so had to battle it out with Trojanette Anika Apostalon for a spot in tonight's B final. Alas, Anika who's a consistent high 21s sprinter won the swimoff with her 21.80, even tho Amy did churn out a lifetime best of 21.94, dipping below the 22-sec barrier for the first time
    With all of the up/downs, that would had been big to get her into the B heat. I think they are projecting scores 179 to 160 at the end of day 2, though that is probably before diving is counted.

It appears to me that every school is competing for 2nd place behind Stanford. Perhaps-we should focus on that perspective so a positive attitude can be maintained. GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    WOMEN’S 200 IM:

WOMEN’S 400 MEDLEY RELAY:

Cal with the fastest time in the 400MR. With Amy replace Kathleen in the back or will she anchor, with Abbey at Breast?

1Cal- 3:27.97
    2Georgia- 3:28.00
    3Louisville- 3:28.24
    4Texas A&M- 3:28.26
    5Stanford- 3:29.14
    6Texas- 3:29.50
    7USC- 3:29.77
    8Indiana- 3:30.18
    Cal led the way through 400 medley prelims, with Kathleen Baker (50.81), Marina Garcia (59.53), Noemie Thomas (51.22), and Abbey Weitzeil (46.41) combining for a 3:27.97.

Furds didn't swim with Manuel, so of course they will be faster.
    Marina will do the breast in the 400 Medley and Abbey will do the breast in the 200 Medley, or at least that's the way it's been so far this season. I think Kathleen will do back in 400 Medley because Amy will be competing in the 200 Free relay earlier in the day. Amy will then leadoff the 200 Medley.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    It appears to me that every school is competing for 2nd place behind Stanford. Perhaps-we should focus on that perspective so a positive attitude can be maintained. GO BEARS!
    I'm not positive..Mr. NegaBear?

I would therefore personally save Abbey for the 400 Medley relay as her 4th relay ... As good/great as Farida is (also consider that we could always use Farida on the fly leg if she's proving to be the hotter hand than Noemie), we'll need every advantage we can squeeze out of Abbey on the anchor leg of the 400 Medley relay, and imo Abbey is prob. capable of dropping more time over Farida on the free leg than over Marina on the breast leg, in particular at the longer distance.
    So Greg chose to use Simone here (800 Free Relay) perhaps partly to fire up his squad, guess that move didn't hurt the furdies either when it came to breaking more records lol ... but with a spot of luck, this might come back to bite LSJU if the 400 Medley Relay contest turns out to be close, as Lia will prob. be put on free duty in the absence of Manuel, whilst we'll then have Abbey to call upon since she sat out the 800 relay tonight
    As for the 2 relays ... an even better chance perhaps in the 400 medley variant - furdettes will def. improve their time there tonight by replacing Hu with Howe on the back leadoff spot, and Hu taking over Engel on the fly leg, but Williams is their best breaststroker and Meehan won't be able to bring in Manuel on the free anchor.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedbear View Post
    Marina will do the breast in the 400 Medley and Abbey will do the breast in the 200 Medley, or at least that's the way it's been so far this season. I think Kathleen will do back in 400 Medley because Amy will be competing in the 200 Free relay earlier in the day. Amy will then leadoff the 200 Medley.
    Pardon all the quoted posts lol but just confirming here that the lineup for the 400 Medley Relay tonight will prob. be Kathleen, Marina, Noemie & Abbey in that order.

Here are some stats to consider for this particular relay:

2017 Pac-12 (Finals): Kathleen (50.41), Marina (59.48), Noemie (50.10), Farida (47.39) => 3:27.38 (Cal all-time #2)
    2017 NCAA (Prelims): Kathleen (50.81), Marina (59.53), Noemie (51.22), Abbey (46.41) => 3:27.97

The first 3 legs will only have to repeat their Pac-12 performances (i.e. Thleen dropping less than half a sec from this morning, Marina maintaining her pace, and most critically, Noemie not swimming over a sec slower than at conference), with Abbey replicating her morning heat time (she's quite capable of going faster), to get into mid to upper 3:26 territory and stand a great chance of winning this!

Meehan bringing in Howe on Back and Hu on Fly will provide them with a nice upgrade of about a sec on each of these 2 legs (i.e. 50 sec range), but I think Williams and Neal were racing close to their limits this am, so without difference-maker Manuel to call upon for their anchor, the furdettes may be maxing out at around 3:26.75 - 3:27.25 (hopefully!).

Of course those overperforming Dawgs shouldn't be overlooked - Smoliga's as good as they come on the back, transfer Britt has a mean fly in her, and Canuck Olympian Chantal is always a threat on anchor. Louisville Cardinals are dangerous too as they sport a 58 or better breaststroker in Cottrell, plus a red hot Comerford who has been out-swimming almost everyone at this meet...

With you, Schroeder71, on your comment re maintaining a positive attitude Not that OBear hasn't been supportive of the team by any means...in fact, quite the opposite

As has been mentioned on multiple occasions this season, this Bears team is so talented that they could prob. win the NCAA team title almost any year except (possibly) for this one that unfortunately for us features Ledecky & the furdette juggernaut (LSJU isn't infallible either as they had some crucial misses this morning with Drabot & Szekely who didn't make their expected finals).

btw Phoebe just missed out on scoring in the 1 m diving with an 18th placing. The Card's Olympian Cook is seeded 2nd in tonight's finals (rooting for the Chinese & Russian divers to push her down in the scoring hehe), but their freshman diver was shut out @ #35.

Day 2 Finals

------

2017 W. NCAA FINALS PREVIEW: CAL, STANFORD SET FOR 200 FR RELAY BATTLE ON NIGHT 2

https://swimswam.com/2017-w-ncaa-fin...attle-night-2/

------

2017 WOMEN’S NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS: DAY 2 FINALS LIVE RECAP

https://swimswam.com/2017-womens-nca...ls-live-recap/

------

Hell Yeah!!!!!! Go Bears!!!!!

Haha!!! 1:25.59 NCAA record, wins 200 Free Relay over the furdettes!!!

Amy was a monster on her leg!!!!

Wooo Hooo! American and NCAA record!!!!

Great leg by Farida too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tedbear View Post
    Wooo Hooo! American and NCAA record!!!!
    Well would have been an AR if Farida was to change her nationality ...furdettes get the AR instead, but I'll happily take the win

I'm so pumped up for this team!!!

Well would have been an AR if Farida was to change her nationality ...furdettes get the AR instead, but I'll happily take the win
    Go ahead burst my bubble. Hahahaha!

True Blue Golden Bear
    Great win and especially over the tree stumps!