Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How sketchy is LaVar Ball?

Quote Originally Posted by StillABear View Post
    I don't know any details. His sons seem to be well grounded; I don't root against them. He is a promoter. Lonzo is the best KNOWN college player in the nation. His sons are the best KNOWN HS players in the nation. I imagine he has set up some large shoe contract riding on the back of Lonzo with his branding.

I do worry about the boys; its a lot of pressure. I don't for a second think Lonzo is better than Steph; that's again just promotion. His boys are not the best college or HS players either but it doesn't matter.

I don't feel sorry for UCLA. They are entering into this willingly. If there is a huge risk of NCAA violations, do we think they would honor scholarships to Angelo and then Melo?

In many ways to focus on him, the crazy things he says, are all part of his plan. He is winning.
    Lonzo is a legit Top 5 college player. He's probably having the best freshman season that any college PG has ever had. His Efficiency (look at his eFG%, TS%, assist to TO ratio) is astounding. And he has the highlight reel that further expands his lore.

All that said, LaVar is basically a bald-headed Don King. In age of Trump, perhaps we shouldn't be as shocked as we are about what he's saying.

If you haven't read this article check it out-interesting. Confirms a lot of what you all are thinking...

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/...tball-forever/
    Last edited by 85 Fly; 03-14-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calgldnbear View Post
    Didn't U$C claim they didn't know Reggie Bush was getting paid/benefits??

The short answer ... yes
    If they know or 'should' have known.

There are avenues which UCLA would be legitimately unaware. But, given how public these assets are, UCLA's compliance department would probably be expected to at least give the situation a cursory look.
    Does sound kind of sketchy though.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Lonzo is a legit Top 5 college player. He's probably having the best freshman season that any college PG has ever had. His Efficiency (look at his eFG%, TS%, assist to TO ratio) is astounding. And he has the highlight reel that further expands his lore.

All that said, LaVar is basically a bald-headed Don King. In age of Trump, perhaps we shouldn't be as shocked as we are about what he's saying.
    Yeah look no further than this very board/ "shocky"

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Fly View Post
    If you haven't read this article yet check it out-interesting. Confirms a lot of what you all are thinking...

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/...tball-forever/
    He's basically Trump. The Trump Brand... The Big Baller Brand.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Yeah look no further than this very board/ "shocky"
    You speak truth SFBearz.

Quote Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
    You speak truth SFBearz.
    I don't understand taking shots at a guy who fully supports our program with in person support and high donation levels. Very petty

Quote Originally Posted by SBGold View Post
    I don't understand taking shots at a guy who fully supports our program with in person support and high donation levels. Very petty
    Hey if you like him attacking student athletes, other posters with regularity and generally acting like a horses backside, more power to you. Some here don't.

Quote Originally Posted by StillABear View Post
    I don't know any details. His sons seem to be well grounded; I don't root against them. He is a promoter. Lonzo is the best KNOWN college player in the nation. His sons are the best KNOWN HS players in the nation. I imagine he has set up some large shoe contract riding on the back of Lonzo with his branding.

I do worry about the boys; its a lot of pressure. I don't for a second think Lonzo is better than Steph; that's again just promotion. His boys are not the best college or HS players either but it doesn't matter.

I don't feel sorry for UCLA. They are entering into this willingly. If there is a huge risk of NCAA violations, do we think they would honor scholarships to Angelo and then Melo?

In many ways to focus on him, the crazy things he says, are all part of his plan. He is winning.
    Lonzo Ball is a phenomenal player, he should be player of the year in all of the NCAA. And he doesn't talk at all, his dad is all over the news but Lonzo is only seen in sports highlights. A good showing in the tournament and he will be the top pick in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by SadbutTrue999 View Post
    If they know or 'should' have known.

There are avenues which UCLA would be legitimately unaware. But, given how public these assets are, UCLA's compliance department would probably be expected to at least give the situation a cursory look.
    Does sound kind of sketchy though.
    What if they all played it carefully so that he never took anything during the 9 mos. while enrolled at UCLA (just before and after)? I'm no Bruin Lover; just posing the question...

Maybe the family gets paid by prospective agent(s)/shoe company, based on Ball's future. Then he just goes to UCLA for a year in order to further his "brand" on the way to the NBA. UCLA uses him. He uses UCLA.

I'm not saying the whole thing doesn't kind of stink (although maybe it's just life these days), just asking what UCLA's situation might be.

Ball wants everything. You can't get it if you don't ask. I don't like him but if he's after everything? Fine with me. The problem is the person PAYING him, not the one asking to be paid.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
    Hey if you like him attacking student athletes, other posters with regularity and generally acting like a horses backside, more power to you. Some here don't.
    Exactly. Money doesn't equate to class or dignity, in life or within this venue.

Quote Originally Posted by SBGold View Post
    Oh you mean the asshat who post stuff like this?

Originally Posted by Shocky1:
    ...baseball players are a bunch of mostly white middle class kids that are doing poorly in the classroom & on the field

...country which is basically a bunch of skinny white kids running in circles & **** like that.

...women's lacrosse & field hockey are a bunch of bitchy high maintenance self entitled rich kids from prep schools back east

...and that brings us to rugby, a sport played predominantly by white males

Quote Originally Posted by BeggarEd View Post
    Oh you mean the asshat who post stuff like this?
    Shocky's got a future in politics

Back to the Balls...