Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: OT: Lair of the Bear question

  1. #16
    Gold cheats. Pure and simple.

    Started with my boy when he was 3. Have two others older. 3 was a tad young and I spent a lot of time just chasing him around. But 4 was awesome for me (and him)

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    I posted a similar question here four years ago, except my littlest was just over one at the time. A lot of folks said "go for it". The problem was, too, that she was a poor sleeper (ear problems). We went early, mid-June. When we went to bed the first night, it was about 70 degrees in the tent. When our daughter woke about three hours later, it was about 45!

    Basically, every night was miserable for us. My wife would give me the baby every morning at about 6 AM and I'd walk her in the stroller in very cold weather until breakfast. Plus, she was too young for Cub Corral.

    Even with that, though, we had a pretty good week. Did we return the next year? No! (But we're returning next year!)

    Bottom line, if you're going in June, be prepared for cold at night.

    A three-yr-old should be fine, unless she usually cries a lot at night. She will like Cub Corral during the day, unless she has never been to pre-school. Heck, she still might like it. You also have to be okay with her getting dirty and maybe falling down a lot.

    Meals at the Lair tend to be more fun when your kid is old enough that you don't need to monitor them every second.

    The Lair is great: We're going back!
    I'm now terrified. I'm going early August. I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. It's way too soon, but I was offered to take a friend's cabin, free of charge, and couldn't pass it up. I think (hope) it'll still be fun!

  3. #18
    True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,161
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    I'm now terrified. I'm going early August. I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. It's way too soon, but I was offered to take a friend's cabin, free of charge, and couldn't pass it up. I think (hope) it'll still be fun!
    How early?

    My whole damn family is up 9th week gold.

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
    How early?

    My whole damn family is up 9th week gold.
    We'll miss ya by one week! Week 8 Gold.

  5. #20
    True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,161
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    We'll miss ya by one week! Week 8 Gold.
    You got lucky this time Mister tapoop.

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    I'm now terrified. I'm going early August. I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. It's way too soon, but I was offered to take a friend's cabin, free of charge, and couldn't pass it up. I think (hope) it'll still be fun!
    Your 10 month old can probably crawl around pretty well, maybe even close to taking his/her first steps? Good luck with that. Will the baby stay in a big play pen? (Just found ours in the garage and am about to give it away. Want it? Anybody? Joovy "Room" model. Nice. Like new. Our two kids wouldn't stay in it for squat. Somebody PM me for it. I live in the East Bay.)

    Basically, if your nights at home are pretty calm, the nights at the Lair stand a chance of being same. Problem for us was that both our kids were sh!tty sleepers until about age 3 and that was magnified at the Lair. But next summer's gonna rock with our (to be) 9 and 6 year olds!

    Well, with the $$$ you're saving, hire a staffer to watch your little one at Kub Korral.
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 07-01-2017 at 12:16 AM.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Your 10 month old can probably crawl around pretty well, maybe even close to taking his/her first steps? Good luck with that. Will the baby stay in a big play pen? (Just found ours in the garage and am about to give it away. Want it? Anybody? Joovy "Room" model. Nice. Like new. Our two kids wouldn't stay in it for squat. Somebody PM me for it. I live in the East Bay.)

    Basically, if your nights at home are pretty calm, the nights at the Lair stand a chance of being same. Problem for us was that both our kids were sh!tty sleepers until about age 3 and that was magnified at the Lair. But next summer's gonna rock with our (to be) 9 and 6 year olds!

    Well, with the $$$ you're saving, hire a staffer to watch your little one at Kub Korral.
    Yeah...he can stand solo. We'll be bringing a pack and play for him to sleep in. They're both pretty good sleepers these days. The older takes a little longer to go down, but once he does he's out. The good news is we're bringing our au pair to watch the younger during the day so we can get some hiking in, etc.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Yeah...he can stand solo. We'll be bringing a pack and play for him to sleep in. They're both pretty good sleepers these days. The older takes a little longer to go down, but once he does he's out. The good news is we're bringing our au pair to watch the younger during the day so we can get some hiking in, etc.
    Somehow grandmastapoop talking about his au pair doesn't sound right. Your street cred just died.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    Somehow grandmastapoop talking about his au pair doesn't sound right. Your street cred just died.
    It's a lot cheaper than a nanny! But, yeah. I almost didn't say it, haha.

  10. #25
    Wk 9 blue. Gold cheats for sure.

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Yeah...he can stand solo. We'll be bringing a pack and play for him to sleep in. They're both pretty good sleepers these days. The older takes a little longer to go down, but once he does he's out. The good news is we're bringing our au pair to watch the younger during the day so we can get some hiking in, etc.
    You have no reason to be terrified, then. None whatsoever. Enjoy The Lair!

  12. #27
    Not too soon and no need to fear! We'll be there Week 8 too (Blue, though) with a 4 year old boy and 11 month old girl. Boy's been to the Lair every year since he was 1 and loves it (we've been lucky on the sleep front). Kub Korral will be great for your 3 year old during the days and I second the babysitting at night suggestions. Maybe we'll meet up at one of the inter-camp events/parties during the week...if you see someone else following around a dirty baby and looking tired, say hi

  13. #28
    Camp Gold 9th week family for several years when children were small (started at ages 3 and 6). Kids always had wonderful experience till Mom caught the Camp Blue flu that struck hard our last year and vowed never to return. I offered to take the kids myself but for as much fun as they always had, if Mom wasn't going, they weren't going and there went a cheap family summer vacation. The reason Camp Blue people accuse Camp Gold campers of cheating is that Camp Gold wins 90% of the sporting competitions (or at least did during the years we attended).

  14. #29
    Currently at Gold...... not cold at night at all. Plenty of rug rats..... a couple of screaming memes. No worries. Cheers!!

  15. #30
    Just got back from Gold Week 5. Our first time up and couldn't have been more impressed. Seems like the sweet spot is 7 to early teens, but ran across a lot of families with younger kids. Looking forward to going back next year.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •