Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Cal hire another assistant coach to be our head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    In 2001, a year off of a Final Four berth under Dick Bennett, Wisconsin hired Bo Ryan, who was age 53 at the time. He was a big winner at the D-III level, with 4 national titles in his 15 year tenure at Wisconsin-Platteville. He moved on to D-I Wisconsin-Milwaukee and in two seasons was 30-27 (13-15 conference record). After being rejected by Rick Majerus and looking into Ben Braun, Wisconsin hired Ryan, who won almost immediately. He got to the Sweet 16 in his second season and finished 1st in the Big Ten in each of his first two seasons.

In comparison, Musselman is 52 with experience as an NBA head coach, as a national team head coach (Dominican Republic and Venezuela), and in his two seasons at Nevada is 52-21 (24-12 conference record) with a conference title and an NCAA berth in his second season.
    Thanks, tsubamoto, for this.

"What I'd be looking for is a person who knows what Cal is, who comes into an interview with a specific plan for right now and longer-term, someone who is a dynamic person that players would relate to, someone who wants to play a style that players would want to play, and understands who he can recruit. If the person who has all that happens to be an assistant, so be it."

Boy, if only.

I believe these were the criteria that were applied when Steve Kerr was hired by the Warriors, and when Maggard hired Bruce Snyder. Probably when Tedford was hired as well.

We can only hope to get as close as possible to what you've laid out.

Quote Originally Posted by ddc_Cal View Post
    "What I'd be looking for is a person who knows what Cal is, who comes into an interview with a specific plan for right now and longer-term, someone who is a dynamic person that players would relate to, someone who wants to play a style that players would want to play, and understands who he can recruit. If the person who has all that happens to be an assistant, so be it."

Boy, if only.

I believe these were the criteria that were applied when Steve Kerr was hired by the Warriors, and when Maggard hired Bruce Snyder. Probably when Tedford was hired as well.

Steve Kerr is a really good coach and has a good basketball mind. But the Warriors were already a good team--they just needed someone to give them a better offensive philosophy to become a great team. Someone who could leverage the elite shooting skills of Curry and Thompson. Kerr did that.

If Kerr had taken the Knicks job instead, things would have been different for him. He'd have Phil Jackson breathing down on him, imploring him to run the triangle.

As SCT has pointed out, Ryan never worked anywhere but Wisconsin. By contrast, Musselman is a relative vagabond. If he wins, he won't stay, including probably not staying long enough to groom a successor. We just went through that. I want to go in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ddc_Cal View Post

Boy, if only.

We all agree that's what we want. We don't agree on who has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    As SCT has pointed out, Ryan never worked anywhere but Wisconsin. By contrast, Musselman is a relative vagabond. If he wins, he won't stay, including probably not staying long enough to groom a successor. We just went through that. I want to go in a different direction.
    Musselman is in his 50's and has a home in Danville. I wouldn't be too worried about him leaving if Cal is successful under him.

In 2001, a year off of a Final Four berth under Dick Bennett, Wisconsin hired Bo Ryan, who was age 53 at the time. He was a big winner at the D-III level, with 4 national titles in his 15 year tenure at Wisconsin-Platteville. He moved on to D-I Wisconsin-Milwaukee and in two seasons was 30-27 (13-15 conference record). After being rejected by Rick Majerus and looking into Ben Braun, Wisconsin hired Ryan, who won almost immediately. He got to the Sweet 16 in his second season and finished 1st in the Big Ten in each of his first two seasons.

In comparison, Musselman is 52 with experience as an NBA head coach, as a national team head coach (Dominican Republic and Venezuela), and in his two seasons at Nevada is 52-21 (24-12 conference record) with a conference title and an NCAA berth in his second season.
    So the takeaway on this is to hire someone 52 or 53. That should narrow the list.

Quote Originally Posted by CVBear01 View Post
    So the takeaway on this is to hire someone 52 or 53. That should narrow the list.
    Not the takeaway at all. I was just pointing out that age shouldn't be a disqualifier up to a certain point.

Another possibility is a successful Div II or Div III coach. I'm not suggesting this guy for Cal, just as an example: Div III coach Scott Rueck took over an Oregon State women's program which needed a major upgrade to even qualify as a dumpster fire. From his 4th year they've made the NCAA Tourney every year and in his 6th they made the Final Four. All this without any high school All-Americans - he has, as mentioned in another post, an eye for talent and the ability to coach it up.

Added bonus with Musselman: we can work that Venezuelan pipeline just like Bennett does with Australia.

UrsaMajor - It is a small sample size, but it is a very strong point imo. Of course, we have had local head coaches fail as well, most notably Dick Edwards who was a success at UOP. On the other hand, he was picked by an abysmal hc picker (Dave Maggard). No category is without risk, but to me the point of picking assistants from great head coaches is that they were usually not the reason for the success - they were just there to see a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Another possibility is a successful Div II or Div III coach. I'm not suggesting this guy for Cal, just as an example: Div III coach Scott Rueck took over an Oregon State women's program which needed a major upgrade to even qualify as a dumpster fire. From his 4th year they've made the NCAA Tourney every year and in his 6th they made the Final Four. All this without any high school All-Americans - he has, as mentioned in another post, an eye for talent and the ability to coach it up.
    They got lucky. He's an Oregon State alum, which makes it unlikely he'll bolt as long as they can compensate him at a certain level.

if you want to make the point, you need to look at hires from more than just Cal. It's not a strong point if you compare coaches hired elsewhere. Or other head coaches who come and fail.

Not the takeaway at all. I was just pointing out that age shouldn't be a disqualifier up to a certain point.
    I was being facetious.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Interesting post, SFCity; however, it is too small a sample size to draw firm conclusions. For one thing, Cal has hired a number of former head coaches that have not worked out well: Dick Edwards, Ben Braun, Lou Campanelli. Furthermore, every--or nearly every--head coach was once an assistant, and they all had a 1st head coaching job. Some of them succeeded spectacularly (not here, obviously, but then since Pete Newell, no one has succeeded here that much), some not so much.
    I have a mild difference of opinion with you. Ben Braun was not a great coach, but he was the best of the first 5 Cal coaches since Newell, and he was great for the Cal program at the time he was hired. And he was hired to get Calís image back on the right track, after Todd Bozeman put Cal on probation, and put Calís reputation into the tank. Likeable, squeaky-clean, and had a great first season, with 23 wins (the most ever for a first-year Cal coach), when Cal was picked to finish in the bottom half of the conference. The team finished tied for 2nd, and went to the Sweet 16. He followed it up with mostly winning seasons, plus two 3rd-place, and two 4th place finishes, not chopped liver. His winning percentage was the best since Newell. He brought in some excellent recruits, entertaining ones. He didnít have much of an offense or a defense. His best recruiting class was a flop (not unlike some other classes who would come after him, and one that came before him.) I thank him for cleaning up the Cal program.

I also liked Lou Campanelli a lot. He too, was good medicine for Cal, which had played milk-toast defense and 10th place finishes for years under the previous coach. With his theme song, ďLouie, LouieĒ the crowd got fired up, and he fired up the defense, to return a toughness to Cal basketball that hadnít been seen since Pete Newell. The big win to end the UCLA streak was so fine. Yes, he couldnít coach offense, but he remedied that by bringing in Gary Colson. Lou was just the thing that the doctor ordered. The problem was the same as Braunís, in that was they both stayed at Cal too long. The game passed both of them by. Both of them tried to solve their problems by bringing in terrific recruits, but with the failure of Campanelli to control his, and the injuries and defection of Braunís recruits brought both of their Cal careers to an end. Still, I would rather have either one of them than what we went through the last three years. I feel Cuonzo Martin is still a young coach, and is very limited in what he has to offer. He knows man defense, but no one is playing it much now, it is all help defense or zones. He doesnít know offense. He did bring a few good recruits. Brown was not the kind of kid who would really help any program much, except to sell tickets in his only year. To me it seemed that it was Rabbís mom more than Cuonzo who recruited him. The main things I thank Cuonzo for are Rabb, Kingsley, and Moore, definitely Mullins, with the jury still out on Coleman, Davis, etc., and of course running a clean program and a pretty good defense. I wish him well.